Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th April 2009, 21:34   #1
BHPian

Default Complete wiring change for my Esteem VX 98

Guys, has anyone ever got a complete wiring change done in an esteem?

My problem is that the car is 11 years old and looks great from outside since i got the paint job done. BUT when I open the hood I am truly disappointed by the wiring since it the wiring is scattered with lots of joints and the wires are very old.

Also, it's like when the brake lights switch on the head lights go dim and that is without any other electrical equipment like the A/c or amp functioning. I gives you a very dis heartening feeling. Although the battery is new there nothing it can do.

So I am planning to go for a complete wiring change and sort any low voltage issues or potetial short circuits due to old scattered wires.

Can anyone out there tell me how much would it cost and if someone has ever gone for something like this in the past?

Thanks in advance.
alexnazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 16:07   #2
BHPian

I once enquired with one of the mechanics and he said it would be under 5K for wiring change.

I would suggest, get hold of a good auto electrician and get the wiring diagnosed fully,check for earthing points and replace wiring whereever necessary. You can also take the care to any authorised Maruti Service Center and ask them to quote the price for the respective wiring change job to get an idea.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 16:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
Guys, has anyone ever got a complete wiring change done in an esteem?

My problem is that the car is 11 years old and looks great from outside since i got the paint job done. BUT when I open the hood I am truly disappointed by the wiring since it the wiring is scattered with lots of joints and the wires are very old.

Also, it's like when the brake lights switch on the head lights go dim and that is without any other electrical equipment like the A/c or amp functioning. I gives you a very dis heartening feeling. Although the battery is new there nothing it can do.

So I am planning to go for a complete wiring change and sort any low voltage issues or potetial short circuits due to old scattered wires.

Can anyone out there tell me how much would it cost and if someone has ever gone for something like this in the past?

Thanks in advance.
Since your car is 11 years old getting the wiring changed is not a bad idea however the issues with electrical are quite known, I had an esteem till Dec 14th 08. This car had the same issues AC on breaks down so on and so forth, I would suggest better battery.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 17:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I would suggest better battery.
My battery is new and I believe that the problem is because of old wiring or the car not being able to produce enough current.

But still since you suggested that wanted to know if a performance battery could solved the problem or no?

Maybe a moderator could step in if required, please.
Old 30th April 2009, 17:44   #5
BHPian

Battery is not the problem, if the wires are not heathy any battery new or slightly old wont help you.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 17:44   #6
BHPian

Why do I get a feeling that almost every Esteem problem being posted here is there in my car!

My battery is old, and it will need a change in the near future. However, the problem that I get is, at times when I flash the high beam, the car does jerk (miss a hearbeat). I think the Esteem's alternator is not upto the mark. Esteem's electricals are infamous anyway.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 17:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Why do I get a feeling that almost every Esteem problem being posted here is there in my car!

My battery is old, and it will need a change in the near future. However, the problem that I get is, at times when I flash the high beam, the car does jerk (miss a hearbeat). I think the Esteem's alternator is not upto the mark. Esteem's electricals are infamous anyway.
Hey Jeep, the heartbeat miss problem is due to a loose connection somewhere and the weak current can no way cause the problem unless the current is so low that it goes below the required voltage that the fuel pump needs to work.

Another cause of the missing problem can be the spark plugs not getting enough current to ignite the fuel for one stroke.

Net net welcome to the "got to go for a new wiring in esteem club!"
Old 1st May 2009, 22:37   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's obvious that the wiring system is crucial to the proper functioning of a car; that's why I recommend getting a new wiring harness from Maruti & getting it fitted by the dealer. ONLY! Did exactly the same thing with my Jeep (when she was 11 years old).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote