Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th May 2009, 00:30   #61
BHPian

thanks a lot for all your replies.
@abhik: i will definitely call up at the number u gave me. what i wanted to know is does this guy repairs ecu's or just resets them?

also i think i am going to go with castrol magnatec as everyone suggested. any other suggestions perhaps. i also enquired for mobil1 which comes to abt 2700 bucks for a 4ltr pack. the castrol is at a 1000 odd bucks.
how is shell? any suggestions would be welcome. also petronas?

also, if somehow, i manage to keep my car idle for half hour every 100 km on petrol, would that be good enough? i mean can i then move about running on gas without any worries?

also what about this right here? Castrol GTX CNG? should i go for this.

Last edited by amitverma : 4th May 2009 at 00:32. Reason: adding new query
amitverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 10:07   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Which kit do you have? I dont think its the Bedini kit fitted by Shrimankar (which I have). In the initial days of my ownership in early 2007 th ecu was always changed because there was no software available at TASS to reset it. Later when it was aquired, they would reset it rather than change it.
Its a BRC sequential kit, has its own separate ECU. yes, they use a laptop now to reset/check ECU's
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 13:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
@Abhik: What oil drain interval do you use? I too use magnatec nad drain at 10K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
I always use 5K drain intervals even with semi-synthetic, my driving style is a little aggresive.
I too use Magnatek in my M800 and change it every 7.5K - 8K Kms and utilize both the performance of the oil & cost effectiveness (read longer change intervals). Haven't had any problems in last 1 year. Engine runs smooth...real smooth.
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 13:50   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
don't drive your car on CNG for more than 80 kms or so at a single go. switch over to petrol for a while.
Is this really required? I have been doing Delhi - Agra - Delhi completely on CNG, without any problems. Although i do agree that it needs to be started on petrol and switched over to CNG only when the optimum temperature is reached.
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 23:27   #65
BHPian

@amit-this guy will just remove any error codes thrown by the ECU on his diagnostic tool.
Shell Helix Ultra is again a very good fully synthetic engine oil. Castrol also has come out with fully synthetic oil which is Castrol Edge.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 23:25   #66
BHPian

one strange little issue i am now facing is with engine temperature. while cruising at any speed, the temperature gauge goes upto the half mark and if i switch on the a/c, it comes down back to the 1/4 mark. what is the issue here?

and if i regularly run (read: stand-still) the car on petrol for abt 15 mins after every ~80-100 kms on CNG, would it be fine?
Old 8th May 2009, 00:43   #67
BHPian

It's not a problem but typical behaviour of any car.
nowadays, in summer, almost every car's temp gauge goes upto half mark w/o AC.
but when u switch ON the AC, the radiator fan starts to spin in FAST mode, ie higher speed. that's why the temp decreases.
motionfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 23:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

@amit - I have had CNG installed on my Palio and I am facing the same issue. The idle is getting progressively worse and I am sure after sometime, it wont even start on petrol. Have you found out any way out?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 01:03   #69
Team-BHP Support

@extreme torque- installers normally alter the spark plug gap to make the car run on CNG smoother. ALSO get your injectors cleaned as the car does not run on petrol regularly injectors get clogged.

Please go through my thread about my cng and lpg experiments on my Accent.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 17:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

@anshu... I got it installed just a week back. The installer didnt even touch the spark plugs. The gap is the same as before.

All this has lead me to believe that CNG is indeed causing problems with the ECM or the timing?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:20   #71
BHPian

*Bump* Sorry to bring back a an old thread!

@AmitVerma: Are you still running the CNG kit on your Palio? Its been 2 years any long term reviews for the same?
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 22:58   #72
BHPian

Default Heating Fiat

I have a 2004 Palio 1.2 (cng fitted). lately i am having issues with the engine temperature. (as I see are many people on this forum).

But let me state the symptoms first:

During the DAY:
the temperature stays just a tad below the 1/2 mark with the AC switched on. this is during the afternoon heat. this is normal behavior. now the problem arises when i am running slow/ standing still/ bumper-to-bumper. the temp starts to go above the 1/2 mark. at this point if i switch off the AC the temp comes down. now this is weird. because earlier if I switched on the AC the temp used to come down. but now the case has flipped completely.

I am a bit worried as the cng is not doing the engine any good as it is. but the overheating issue is scaring me.
What should I do? Are there ways, I can improve the cooling?
Old 15th April 2010, 23:05   #73
Senior - BHPian

Possible things to check would be tuning of the CNG kit. What kit is it? Closed loop? Incorrect tuning can lead to heating. Other things to look for would be the thermostat. Also check if your electric fan comes on when you switch on the AC. You should be able to hear this fan running under the hood. If your fan doesn't come on, it's probably a relay problem.

In my case, flushing the cooling system and a radiator service took care of the problem. But I don't have CNG on mine.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 15th April 2010 at 23:06.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 11:11   #74

Default Re: CNG'ed Fiat Palio queries

I got my 2006 Fiat Petra 1.6 fitted with CNG yesterday. The fitting was done by Date Automobiles at Karvenager Pune. They used BRC closed loop kit, 14 kg tank. It cost me 31.5K inclusive of 1 year free service, warranty and RTO passing. My car has 75,000 KMs on it. So far, have driven 25 kms on gas.Here is my early impression:

1. No loss in power at all; even with AC on.
2. It seem like you need to get used to driving a CNG car. If you overstep on accelerator, the gas supply cuts off (as per the mechanic). So you take the foot off the accelerator and then again step on it. This is a bit funny to me. One really has to adjust to this especially while climbing the slopes in top gears
3. If you suddenly have to break / lower the speed etc., the engine loses power and shuts off. This brings you in an awkward moment of again igniting the car while the impatient drivers behind keep honking and hurling gaalis at you. There is a bit of skill required to lower the gears as soon as you realize that you need to slow down.
4. No difference in the running of an engine on Petrol.
5. Filled up gas at Pimpale Saudagar. Took 30 minutes due to a bee line of Maruti school bus vans. There is one online pumping station on Pune - Bangalore bypass (after wakad, towards Mumbai). Plan to take the car there next time for filling
6. Will post on CNG average once I find it out.

I think I may have to take it for tuning again to avoid the car from losing power at sudden reduction of speed.
car4me is offline   Reply With Quote