Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 12:54   #1
BHPian
 
althaaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: thrissur, gorakhpur & nepal
Posts: 137
Thanked: 59 Times
Thumbs up santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Hi friends,
I have a 2001 santro zip plus ls run around 57000 kms. recently i noticed that when driving at a normal speed and and if i press the clutch to change the gear, after removing my legs off the accelerator, the engine continues to maintain the rpm. that is the acceleration or rpm is not coming down even if i take my foot off the accelerator. but if i wait for some more time, the acceleration or the rpm comes to normal. because of this high rpm being maintained, my cars fuel economy has reduced and the engine is getting heated up very fast. hope i explained my doubt clearly. please guru's and expert bhpian's help. suggest me the reason for this problem and what to do to avoid this issue. how much expensive it will be? my engine oil will be changed by tomorrow.
please reply back
thanks in advance.
althaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 13:00   #2
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

No expert here, but I guess you need to get the throttle body in your car cleaned up.

I used to face a similar problem in my Santro too sometime back and when the TB cleaning did not work, I realized it may have been the fuel quality. Drained the tank out, poured in fuel from my trusted pump and the problem vanished soon after.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 13:39   #3
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

must be a stiff accelerator cable or Lever, you can get it checked and cleaned, it should give you the throttle operation back to normal.

while car engine is OFF Try to press the lever with hand and see if its coming back up slowly or instantly, it it comes back in slow motion (hydraulic motion) its jammed somewhere.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 15:15   #4
BHPian
 
althaaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: thrissur, gorakhpur & nepal
Posts: 137
Thanked: 59 Times
Thumbs up thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
No expert here, but I guess you need to get the throttle body in your car cleaned up.

I used to face a similar problem in my Santro too sometime back and when the TB cleaning did not work, I realized it may have been the fuel quality. Drained the tank out, poured in fuel from my trusted pump and the problem vanished soon after.
i dont think it should be fuel prob as i tried it in various pumps and no change in rev at idle and while running. i dont know about throttle body cleaning. i ll try telling this to the mechanic. recently i noticed a few drops of oil in the car porch after i park it inside. i have noticed that this happens only if the car is too hot. any idea dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
must be a stiff accelerator cable or Lever, you can get it checked and cleaned, it should give you the throttle operation back to normal.
no dude, i already checked accelerator cable thing, its free. its comming back to normal immediately.
by the way, do you have any idea if any problem with the clutch can cause this prob?

while car engine is OFF Try to press the lever with hand and see if its coming back up slowly or instantly, it it comes back in slow motion (hydraulic motion) its jammed somewhere.
althaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 19:56   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I recently bought a used Santro LE (2001) and it too had the same described problem. I took it to Trident Service on the Intermediate ring road, Bangalore. The guy said he'll try cleaning the Throttle body as part of the regular service that I'd wanted done. Since he also had to replace the air filter (due replacement) the problem only manifested bigger after the full service. He then said it needs an "Idle speed actuator" replacement and that it would put a Rs.5500/- worth hole in my pocket - and that's beside an already expensive service

Just wanted to check with the experts here - did anybody here get their problem fixed? If yes, did you have to change the ISA? Is there any other "fix" to the ISA that a probably-talented mechanic can do instead of replacing it to buy a bit more time? (I'm already over budget!) How do I rule out other fixes before going in for an ISA replacement?

PS: I did hear that the ISA costs only Rs.1500/- or so from the stolen parts market in Shivaji nagar. But I believe its important for not only me, but each of us to stop incentivizing stolen parts. On the lines of how some wildlife campaign slogan says "If the buying stops, the stealing can too".
sunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:32   #6
BHPian
 
pavan_6818's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 42
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by althaaf View Post
Hi friends,
I have a 2001 santro zip plus ls run around 57000 kms. recently i noticed that when driving at a normal speed and and if i press the clutch to change the gear, after removing my legs off the accelerator, the engine continues to maintain the rpm. that is the acceleration or rpm is not coming down even if i take my foot off the accelerator. but if i wait for some more time, the acceleration or the rpm comes to normal.
Mate,
Apologies for using the very old thread. I have the same problem with my Santro 2001 ZipDrive.
What was the cause and solution to this problem, please help me.
pavan_6818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:46   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default Re: santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
Mate,
Apologies for using the very old thread. I have the same problem with my Santro 2001 ZipDrive.
What was the cause and solution to this problem, please help me.
I think it could be the Accelerator Cable or the Throttle body. None of them are expensive fixes.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:54   #8
BHPian
 
pavan_6818's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 42
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I think it could be the Accelerator Cable or the Throttle body.
If it is due to Accelerator cable, why does it persist only when the AC is ON. Not sure what is throttle body (limited gyan on cars).
pavan_6818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:58   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default Re: santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
If it is due to Accelerator cable, why does it persist only when the AC is ON. Not sure what is throttle body (limited gyan on cars).
Oh It comes only with the AC on, Sorry I did not know that. It's 99.99% the idle speed actuator then.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 00:14   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 229
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
If it is due to Accelerator cable, why does it persist only when the AC is ON. Not sure what is throttle body (limited gyan on cars).
That's a part of normal running, idle rpm is increased when the ac switches on. Let a mechanic see the car, in case the increase is too much.
fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 13:25   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
Mate,
Apologies for using the very old thread. I have the same problem with my Santro 2001 ZipDrive.
What was the cause and solution to this problem, please help me.
I think its due to a sensor which controls the engine RPM. Clean the sensor with petrol by a local mechanic. the sensor may not work accurately due to rust or dust deposits. if that did not work , test with a new sensor if the rpm comes down then change it. i am sure this will work
svpatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 14:02   #12
BHPian
 
pavan_6818's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 42
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
I think its due to a sensor which controls the engine RPM. Clean the sensor with petrol by a local mechanic. the sensor may not work accurately due to rust or dust deposits.
I have recently serviced the car and found this issue after servicing, not sure if it persist prior to servicing since not observed much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
if that did not work , test with a new sensor if the rpm comes down then change it. i am sure this will work
How much would the sensor cost?
pavan_6818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 16:50   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
I have recently serviced the car and found this issue after servicing, not sure if it persist prior to servicing since not observed much.
if this has happened after the servicing then water must have gone to the sensor. The service guy may have used high pressure while cleaning the engine bay. my suggestion would be clean the sensor carefully with petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
How much would the sensor cost?
its appox 5000 bucks
svpatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 17:31   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 229
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: santro zip plus engine over rev problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
I have recently serviced the car and found this issue after servicing, not sure if it persist prior to servicing since not observed much.

How much would the sensor cost?
Sensors are tough, they don't go bad easily. take the opinion of a good independent mechanic along with the HASS before replacing it. More often than not its an air leak in the IAC system. Even if the sensor is gone, try getting a used one from a written-off vehicle. If it is due to water damage, ask for a free replacement as Hyundai explicitly forbids pressure cleaning of the engine.

All the best.
fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 problems with Santro Zip plus!!! loving_alaap Technical Stuff 2 27th April 2009 18:12
Santro Zip Plus LS 2002 - 74,000kms review suren181 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 29 17th July 2008 18:21
Urgently Wanted Santro GS Zip Plus BUSA Shifting gears 0 3rd September 2006 17:22
Width of Santro Zip Plus psynaps3 Hatchbacks 4 15th April 2006 23:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks