Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th May 2009, 14:40   #1
Default Clutch burn during backing up

I am relatively a newbie to driving cars - done about 2250 kms since I bought my car (Alto LXI) in Dec 2007. I stay in an apartment and the parking is available in the basement. To park the car, I drive futher for about two slots and reverse the car back slowly, turn left at 90 degrees and park in the bay. There is a pillar right in between my parking slot and slot next to mine so I need to backup very slowly. While doing so, with the car in reverse gear, I usually release the clutch half way and backup. Frequently I also need to shift to first gear, move front a bit and back up again depending on the empty slot in front of my parking slot . The clutch will be in half released position (half clutch) in the revese gear for quite significant amount of time (around 10 to 15 seconds). My fear is whether I am burning the clutch by doing so as I heard that one should not keep a
clutch in half released position for more than 4 seconds at a time.
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 15:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not think you will wear out the clutch prematurely.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 15:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dude, you are not burning the clutch. Don't fuss !
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 16:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
My fear is whether I am burning the clutch
your fear is fear of newly wed wife.
don't worry, everything will be look like normal after 9 months of ownership.

edit: you have passed 18 months of ownership and still this type of fear.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 4th May 2009 at 16:07.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 16:08   #5

I Have heard that pressing a clutch half released (2 -3 mins) can cause engine to heat in a Skoda, that too I am not sure.
Except for that car, This is certainly not a problem in any car, in fact we all do it one point or the other while backing or driving in extreme jams of metros
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 16:08   #6
Team-BHP Support

The only possibility where you could end up burning your clutch on a regular basis when backing up is when climbing up an incline to park. Here you would need to use the half clutch along with the accelerator, which would end up eating into its life.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 16:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

exactly - half/ any non full clutch position with accelerator can burn it. while just simply doing half clutch you are just using the clutch !
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 18:19   #8

I would say this wear of clutch is part of vehicle life, you cannot escape from this. Your clutch may last a little longer if you never have to use half clutch but without half clutch you cannot park the car or do bumper to bumper driving in traffic. Its like if you have to take shower, you will definately get wet.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote