Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th May 2009, 19:52   #1
BHPian

Default Palio 1.2 fitted with LPG Kit - Petrol level keeps coming down in LPG Mode

I have my Palio 1.2 fitted with LPG Kit and has run almost 10K kms on LPG. Recently I have noticed that the Petrol level keeps coming down even its being run on LPG. The car runs fine on LPG with no traces of petrol being consumed along with LPG (No misfires, no rich mixture smell). Since the Fuel pump is detached automatically by Electronic control switch on LPG Mode, there is no chance of getting Petrol being pumped into the engine. Still the petrol level keeps on coming down.

The Kit is of Indian make (HOVEL) and the emulator and Switch of some J.S(Indian Make).

Please let me know the reason for this prob. If you have some contact with any LPG GURUs; please explain this problem to them and get me some checkpoints.
shineshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 20:11   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
Since the Fuel pump is detached automatically by Electronic control switch on LPG Mode, there is no chance of getting Petrol being pumped into the engine.
This is mainly a reason as to why the petrol level decreases. One of my friend had this issue in his CNG fitted car. He got his car checked with the installer, and found that fuel pump isn't connected to the LPG control switch. Got it corrected and the problem has'nt appeared again.
Check with your installer, may be he forgot to connect the fuel pump to the LPG controller.

Last edited by live2drive : 4th May 2009 at 20:12.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 00:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

how much consumption are we talking about here.?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:17   #4
BHPian

Correct working of Petrol shutoff valve is one reason.
Secondly, ensure that the fuel mode changes to LPG before start moving the car. In some cases, the fuel mode changes to LPG only after revving the engine to 1500-2000 rpm. So the car will run comfortably in petrol mode if driven slowly untill the rpm crosses that range. This happens to many people.
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 12:52   #5
BHPian

I am yet to check up with what Live2drive has said.

Sir Alec,
It is consuming almost 50% as if run on Petrol mode.

nikkibike,
Mine is not having an automatic changeover. Its a manual control switch.
Usually I cold start with Petrol and within 2-3 mins, once the engine gets warmed, I change over to LPG.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Start your veichle, shift to LPG, Close LPG manually and see if car still runs normally or not. In a normal scenario it shut down with a minute after consuming gas in the pipeline, but in case if not then get the switch checked.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Start your veichle, shift to LPG, Close LPG manually and see if car still runs normally or not. In a normal scenario it shut down with a minute after consuming gas in the pipeline, but in case if not then get the switch checked.
I could not find any way to close the LPG. Its running on GAS TANK, I dont know how I could close the flow of LPG.
Old 6th May 2009, 19:30   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Just start your vehicle in LPG mode. It should start in petrol mode by default. You'll see this by the indicator light on the switch. Then accelerate till it automatically switches to LPG. As long as you have gas in the tank make sure the switch is always in LPG mode.
pedrolourenco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 21:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
I could not find any way to close the LPG. Its running on GAS TANK, I dont know how I could close the flow of LPG.
I believe it must be knob near to tank or somewhere in engine. Why not ask your installer... ??
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 04:52   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well I also faced this problem but generally i was keeping the petrol tank empty for this.But today i decided to search the cause .My case is with a carburetted M800 CNG Tomasttoe kit.There is a petrol solenoid switch .Now in case of electrical failure this switch will bypass and provide petrol directly .On this solenoid there is a manual clip with which you can permanently run the car in petrol in case something goes wrong now as far as i got the information and understood if this clip is not on the extreme other end it will lead to very tiny amount of fuel sucked into the system thus emptying the tank.So in short one end is normal and other end is pure petrol anything in between leads to consumption of petrol with gas.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote