Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th October 2009, 20:10   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post

Even so a regularly serviced car having such a problem within 22k kms and 15months, is that normal ?
Quote:
Not normal i guess and most unfortunate ! specially in case of car manufacturer people swear by.

Quote:

The car has been driven with care and something like this happens.
When someone then says about the "best practices" its hard not to get a bit upset.

Pardon me, you have no idea how good I treat the car.
Hi,
I am sure you do.
But many of my friends with bigger and in many ways better diesel machines do not. Just crank the engine and revv off is what many people do now that the diesels have got more and more refined. Diesel cars even if they are fitted with great engines have their range of limitations in my humble opinion .
So my assertion is a general observation though its in respect of your thread.
In any case; my sincere apologies since i sounded otherwise to you. and i hope there is a quick and lasting resolution to your problem.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 26th October 2009 at 20:12.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 15:09   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

The rail pressure will be 8- 9bar higher than the desired value?

And sometimes even 16?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 14:46   #213

Default Oil level affects Turbo in Swift/Dzire Diesel

Hi All,

One of my friends bought a Dzire ZDI around an year back from Mangalore and drove it down to Bangalore. He was very satisfied with the overall performance and the turbo.

After the first service (in Bangalore), the turbo did not work almost at all (the punch was gone). Coincidently, he travelled to Mangalore, so he showed it to the dealer there. The dealer checked the oil level and found it to be above the top level mark. He reduced it to half level, and guess what, the turbo returned. It was not the same as earlier, but gradually improved and now, it is back to normal.

What happened, and where did I get more details on this one? Read on...

I know the owner of a popular garage on West of Chord road (Bangalore). I spoke to him about this and learnt the following:

- He faced the same problem with his Swift LDI (around 2 years back)
- He researched and found that the oil SHOULD NOT BE topped up in Swift/Dzire (Fiat) diesel engines
- He is known among the Maruti dealers and complained to the dealer up to a level that engineers from Maruti came down to Bangalore to discuss this problem
- He proved to them by dismantling his car's turbo intercooler that topping up leads to the turbo intercooler getting flooded with oil, which affects its performance; they agreed, and guess what...
- After this, Maruti sent out a circular to all its dealers NOT TO FILL more than 2.9 ltrs of OIL in these diesel engines
- My friend fills 2.8 ltrs synthetic oil and the car's performance is optimal at all speeds

Now, back to the first friend (Dzire ZDI):
The other friend who found this out from Mangalore switched to synthetic oil (2.8 ltrs) in his Dzire ZDI - the turbo, engine sound, FE improved

Sorry for the long post, but thought this may be helpful to owners who have this variants. Cheers!

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th November 2009 at 14:58. Reason: Please use search before opening a new thread, discussed many times. Thanks
hdoshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 18:27   #214
BHPian

For some strange reason, my turbo makes a jet like noise which is quite audible now... this never existed earlier... also a lag in turbo...
Zahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 18:38   #215
Team-BHP Support

If it happens in all rpm levels, get it checked, there might be a small air leak in one of the pipes. Not a good idea to run with this.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 01:33   #216
BHPian

dropped it off with them today... These Sai Service guys just refuse to admit an issue with the car. Im pretty sure that it wont be resolved that quick
Zahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 19:45   #217
Senior - BHPian

Today evening, a strange sounding swift overtook me(me biking@40kmph) a kind of a 'swoooshh' and belching out black smoke. Another relative of mine did a turbo job in the third service. So there is something wrong with the turbo of swift.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 23:56   #218
Senior - BHPian

NO its not! it made by borg warner, a reputed company. It all depends upon how you use / abuse your car.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 19:22   #219
BHPian

A bit off topic question but can owners of other powerful cars like (verna-d,chevy optra/cruze etc) clarify that have they also felt same lag ? The point of me asking this question is that we can be clear on psychological angle i.e desire for more power or its just a 'swift thing' as going by this thread no one has found the real root cause of the problem
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 19:37   #220
BHPian

These are very informative and thankfully I only noticed the smoke issue a couple of times. And I called my cousin in Maruti to talk to the service station and they took care of it, so after the second time I faced smoke the problem never occured.
sameer_dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 21:56   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Today evening, a strange sounding swift overtook me(me biking@40kmph) a kind of a 'swoooshh' and belching out black smoke. Another relative of mine did a turbo job in the third service. So there is something wrong with the turbo of swift.
So did you get it checked, black soot might not really be a turbo issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
A bit off topic question but can owners of other powerful cars like (verna-d,chevy optra/cruze etc) clarify that have they also felt same lag ?
Most turbo diesels have turbo lag, swift has a 1300 kinda highly tuned engine and hence it has to balance best of both worlds, drivability, FE etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
These are very informative and thankfully I only noticed the smoke issue a couple of times. And I called my cousin in Maruti to talk to the service station and they took care of it, so after the second time I faced smoke the problem never occured.
If its white smoke then mostly it would have been engine over fill, can be corrected by draining of the excess.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 09:44   #222
BHPian

Default Too much of Engine Noise

Hello,

My Vehicle went in for a third service @ 9850 Kms at Pratham Motors, ORR, Bangalore.

1. Vehicle now @ 10,500 Kms
2. Diesel Used: Indian Oil. (Was using Shell regularly, and had noticed some increased noise, compared to a Swift DDiS owned by a friend. Had complained about the same to the Service Advisor when leaving the vehicle for service. Was asked to change from Shell to Indian Oil and doing so regularly for last 650 kms)
3. Engine creating a increased noise.
4. Vehicle seems to feel heavier now. I am running on stock wheels.
5. Engine Oil Used: Mobil1 Delvac (standard used by M.A.S.S)
6. There is patch sort of thing in the Dicky pasted, just above the exhaust. This piece is melting. I checked up with a DZire of the same variant with about 200 kms less on the ODO, there seems to be no problem with that. When checked with M.A.S.S i was told the heat produced by the exhaust has lead to this. Is there something wrong? I will try posting pics sooner for this.

I suspected the Diesel not to be clean, having known the IOC's malpractices. Hence changed the pump. Still no respite :(

Please help
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:15   #223
BHPian

Hey guys after upgrading my tires to 195/65/R15 yokohama es100 i have found out my top speed reduced to 160 kmph, earlier on the same tyres just after a day installing it i have done 170kmph easily and it was wanting to go more, now after almost 6 months again on expressway it was not going beyond 160 kmph. I am suspecting tyre pressure which i have put it at 30ps all over. Can you guys recommend how much pressure should i maintain on these tires. And what other reason it could be??

Thankyou
samy3660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:19   #224
BHPian

Any solution to my issue's which has not been resolved till date??
samy3660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 19:31   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Hello,

I suspected the Diesel not to be clean, having known the IOC's malpractices. Hence changed the pump. Still no respite :(

Please help
Hi deepak,

I guess,you find out a pump owned by the company and not a franchisee. IOC is as good as any oil marketing co.
I mean i have tried sourcing diesel from all the 3 psu oil co. and came to the conclusion that the large co. owned pumps shell out good stuff but the dealers are quite unscruplous about quality and purity control.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote