Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 22:16   #241
BHPian

[/quote]

Hi bhp_maniac, Me too have this late turbo action issue (exactly like yours) in my euro IV Vdi in the second gear. Showed it two times to Indus trichur, but no change. I even raised a complaint to Maruti, but except that the Indus SA came running after me and checked the car, there is no change. Now i learned to live with it and think what to do to eliminate the recurring rattlings
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st September 2010, 23:12   #242
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2008 VDI and the turbo kick at 2200 rpm in 2nd gear is perfect. Don't let them touch your turbo or get anything done if its comming at 2200 rpm in 2nd gear. Its perfectly normal.

If its comming latter than that in 2nd gear like say 2300 rpm or so, then you have something to worry otherwise NOT.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:18   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Hi bhp_maniac, Me too have this late turbo action issue (exactly like yours) in my euro IV Vdi in the second gear. Showed it two times to Indus trichur, but no change. I even raised a complaint to Maruti, but except that the Indus SA came running after me and checked the car, there is no change. Now i learned to live with it and think what to do to eliminate the recurring rattlings
Yes, I remember you telling the same thing in the thread previously. Hearing your case and SA's comment that there is some tweaks in BS IV in case of turbo which is causing the late turbo action, I too was on the assumption that everything is perfect. But the day I drove my another friend's BS IV DDiS, I understood that there is no point in SA's comment. His turbo was boosting perfect IMO. I can feel the pressure build up around 1900 rpm and a violent boost a 2000 rpm dot on 2nd gear in his car. In all the subsequent gears I can feel the surge around 1800 rpm in his car. In my case its exactly 200 rpms delayed. One thing I noticed was that his engine was not as smooth as mine. I also checked up the accuracy of my analogue tacho, but its in tolerance limits. I've complained it three times and what I noticed was that in all the three times, the complains were taken by *** as offline (there was no record in Maruti DB). This is making me doubt whether I should go to Maruti regarding this. Was it the same for you from day one? Or does it happened after some actions ? Meanwhile I am also giving my car to Indus, Kochi.

Regarding the rattles, I gave up. Nothing can be done other than damping the doors I think. I am planning to do that since its heard to be useful in case of Swift rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I have a 2008 VDI and the turbo kick at 2200 rpm in 2nd gear is perfect. Don't let them touch your turbo or get anything done if its comming at 2200 rpm in 2nd gear. Its perfectly normal.

If its comming latter than that in 2nd gear like say 2300 rpm or so, then you have something to worry otherwise NOT.
Oh, thats a piece of information for me. In your case, are you getting the surge from day one at 2200? Also whats the situation in other gears? However, I am on the plan that I will make sure the complaint from my side is registered in Maruti DB so that if something happens later, Maruti should honor my earlier complaint since the car is just 3 months old now.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 22nd September 2010 at 07:19. Reason: To correct quote error
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:08   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Oh, thats a piece of information for me. In your case, are you getting the surge from day one at 2200? Also whats the situation in other gears? However, I am on the plan that I will make sure the complaint from my side is registered in Maruti DB so that if something happens later, Maruti should honor my earlier complaint since the car is just 3 months old now.
Yep, Earlier I used to not notice but now its crystal clear. 2200 rpm in 2nd it is.

In other gears it comes at 2000 rpm dot.

F1fan's Dzire D too has has the same scene and so does my friends Swift Diesel.

I say again, Don't let them touch 'ANYTHING' at all. No opening up of turbo's nothing. They ll ruin a lot of other things in trying to check one thing out. If u complain to maruti, they ll tell u to get your car to the service station for a check and god forbid if in the checking they open something than god save your car.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:07   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, Earlier I used to not notice but now its crystal clear. 2200 rpm in 2nd it is.

I say again, Don't let them touch 'ANYTHING' at all. No opening up of turbo's nothing. They ll ruin a lot of other things in trying to check one thing out. If u complain to maruti, they ll tell u to get your car to the service station for a check and god forbid if in the checking they open something than god save your car.
Ok, I agree. Today morning got a call from the SA on the status. I told, I tried it on highway last night but everything is same. However I asked them specifically that this complaint should be there in my service record. Or else, if the turbo bursts off after some time, they may come up saying I've misused and lost it. Btw, most of the people I talked to in the *** where ignorant about all these terms. I had to explain them how a faulty MAF also can make turbo to produce less boost. However, I will keep an eye on the tacho whenever the rpm crosses the 2200 rpm point. Lets see what happens in the future. Thanks for the support and advice friend.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:19   #246
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Ok, I agree. Today morning got a call from the SA on the status. I told, I tried it on highway last night but everything is same. However I asked them specifically that this complaint should be there in my service record. Or else, if the turbo bursts off after some time, they may come up saying I've misused and lost it. Btw, most of the people I talked to in the *** where ignorant about all these terms. I had to explain them how a faulty MAF also can make turbo to produce less boost. However, I will keep an eye on the tacho whenever the rpm crosses the 2200 rpm point. Lets see what happens in the future. Thanks for the support and advice friend.
Very frankly not all SA's know everything about the diesel engines and turbo's in a MASS. There would be one expert on diesel engines at every MASS and I would suggest you talk to him if needed.
As humyum suggested, my car (Dzire D) too kicks off at 2200. When I asked my MASS first on this and compared to Swift's kick at 2000, I was told that as Dzire is a heavy car, the kick comes in late.

Heavy? Duh, it is only approx 30 kgs heavier. After this reply, I stopped going to that MASS completely (ofcourse a lot of other things were bad at that place apart from this reply).
Hence wouldn't suggest them playing around with your car if you problem is small.

Last edited by f1fan : 22nd September 2010 at 12:21.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:30   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Very frankly not all SA's know everything about the diesel engines and turbo's in a MASS. There would be one expert on diesel engines at every MASS and I would suggest you talk to him if needed.
As humyum suggested, my car (Dzire D) too kicks off at 2200. When I asked my MASS first on this and compared to Swift's kick at 2000, I was told that as Dzire is a heavy car, the kick comes in late.

Heavy? Duh, it is only approx 30 kgs heavier. After this reply, I stopped going to that MASS completely (ofcourse a lot of other things were bad at that place apart from this reply).
Hence wouldn't suggest them playing around with your car if you problem is small.
That's a great answer. So what if some two 60kg persons sit in the car? Will the car's turbo start spooling later? Next time you see the person, ask him this question. Regarding diesel person, you're right. I am planning to talk to my A.S.S diesel person today. Will update the thread with his reply.
Old 5th October 2010, 21:14   #248
BHPian

Exclamation Update on my DDiS Turbo issue

Hi all,

My turbo was becoming more and more lazy day by day. Travelling back home last to last weekend, I felt really underpowered and the turbo push on 2nd gear has gone up to 2500-2600 rpm range. I was really worried and went back to the A.S.S. They said there is a "slight" issue with the turbo and will check. I told, as I am fed up with the thing I am going to Maruti directly. They told they will discuss with some senior person about this. After an hour, I got a call stating that they will try replacing he turbo unit and they've ordered for it. After 7 days to be precise today morning, I got call saying that the new turbo and the keyset (it had went crazy and the doors were getting unlocked on running ). So I left the car with the A.S.S today and will be receiving the car with new turbo tomorrow. Also I've physically verified that swift turbo comes with an adjustable waste gate. I am telling this again, as I read somewhere that it's waste gate can't be adjusted.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:36   #249
BHPian

Default Replaced Turbo, surge is back

I got my turbo replaced, and the surge is back. Now the turbo surges exactly at 2000 RPM on 2nd gear. On all other gears its around 1800-1900. After the install I can clearly hear the turbo whines which was not the case before. I physically examined the install job, there was no trace of oil inside the old turbo unit. But there were hell lot of carbon deposits. Also cleaned the air filter with the visit. So any folks with such an issue, just trouble them a lot with mails and calls and they will fix it.
Old 9th October 2010, 12:48   #250
BHPian

Quote:
I got my turbo replaced, and the surge is back. Now
bhp_maniac, In which MASS you replaced the turbo
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 13:15   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
bhp_maniac, In which MASS you replaced the turbo
I've done it at Indus, Kochi. There was some complication during the process, you can PM me if you have some queries. In most cases, I think a wastegate adjustment will do the trick. I've seen that the wastegate of swift turbo got a good range of adjustment possible. I mean the adjustment screw can travel a long distance. In my case, the lag got worse day by day that on the day the job was done, the old turbo was kicking in at around 2400-2500 on 2nd gear. The thing is that its very difficult to convince these people that some issue is there.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:24   #252
BHPian

Team,

Until today I was a happy customer and a proud owner of the new SX4 Diesel until I noticed a sudden drop in Turbo in the second gear ( Its very much significant in the 2nd gear due to its vicious kick ) and also drop in Turbo in the rest of the gears as well meaning 3,4 and 5.

The Turbo surge was one of the plus points why I had purchased the SX4 Diesel and it was this very factor which allowed me to enjoy 8K kms within 3 months , have posted my ownership experience in the following post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-ddis-vdi.html (Midnight Black SX4 DDIS VDI)

For the past few weeks I felt thats its merely my mind playing up sensing that the Turbo effect was not what it was earlier until I came across this post and thats when I realised that iam not alone , though this maybe the first reported incident for a SX4 DDIS.

Hence I will be approaching MASS tomorrow now that I know its not my mind playing up cause honestly the fun factor has all gone from the time the Vicious surge has stopped.

The first step I intend to check tomorrow is the Air Filter cause something tells me that MASS has not cleaned the Air filter since the car has been purchased which was 3 months ago as I remember watching every job being performed on the car from a distance during the first 2 services.

What else would I need to check in case the Air filter cleaning/replacing does not resolve the issue ?

Please advice

Last edited by Peter : 6th July 2011 at 18:28.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 21:07   #253
BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Team,

Until today I was a happy customer and a proud owner of the new SX4 Diesel until I noticed a sudden drop in Turbo in the second gear ( Its very much significant in the 2nd gear due to its vicious kick ) and also drop in Turbo in the rest of the gears as well meaning 3,4 and 5.

The Turbo surge was one of the plus points why I had purchased the SX4 Diesel and it was this very factor which allowed me to enjoy 8K kms within 3 months , have posted my ownership experience in the following post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-ddis-vdi.html (Midnight Black SX4 DDIS VDI)

For the past few weeks I felt thats its merely my mind playing up sensing that the Turbo effect was not what it was earlier until I came across this post and thats when I realised that iam not alone , though this maybe the first reported incident for a SX4 DDIS.

Hence I will be approaching MASS tomorrow now that I know its not my mind playing up cause honestly the fun factor has all gone from the time the Vicious surge has stopped.

The first step I intend to check tomorrow is the Air Filter cause something tells me that MASS has not cleaned the Air filter since the car has been purchased which was 3 months ago as I remember watching every job being performed on the car from a distance during the first 2 services.

What else would I need to check in case the Air filter cleaning/replacing does not resolve the issue ?

Please advice
I suggest you doing the following things

1) Clean air filter
2) Check for any leaks in the air flow
3) Clean the intercooler
4) Go for a test drive
5) Even if the issue seems to be gone, insist MASS to check with Tech 2 for the correct boost readings
6) If boost readings are not in the tolerance limit, ask them for a turbo replace.
Old 6th July 2011, 21:26   #254
Team-BHP Support

How much of kms has car covered? and have you changed the fuel brand or pump?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 14:11   #255
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you doing the following things

1) Clean air filter
2) Check for any leaks in the air flow
3) Clean the intercooler
4) Go for a test drive
5) Even if the issue seems to be gone, insist MASS to check with Tech 2 for the correct boost readings
6) If boost readings are not in the tolerance limit, ask them for a turbo replace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How much of kms has car covered? and have you changed the fuel brand or pump?
Thanks Jaggu and bhp_maniac for your inputs, visited MASS today and they found it hard to believe the issue that I have ,

The car has covered 8300 kms so far and is just 3 months old.

MASS has cleaned the air filter which was not that dirty to be honest after which a test drive was taken , the performance has improved compared to before getting the air filter cleaned , was thinking of replacing the Air filter but they didint have any in stock.

MASS has advised refuelling at an alternate pump the next time as they seem to be pretty sure that the issue could be caused due to adulterated Diesel.

So far they do not suspect any Turbo issues , no leakages in the air flow either.

As of now Iam happy that the DDIS is almost back in business and didi a bit of fast driving as well and can feel the car responding much better then before , am hoping that the fuel change will resolve the problem.

Will keep you guys posted on this.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote