Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th July 2011, 22:06   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Will keep you guys posted on this.
Team,

Added System D to the existing tankfull of adulterated diesel that I have and voila the Turbo surge and performance has come back

This definitely indicates that its adulterated Diesel and the additives are making up for the losses due to adulteration ... just my 2 bits.

cheers,
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 14:17   #257
BHPian

My Swift Turbo died 3 days back. MSM says there is Oil leakage and needs to change the turbocharger.Its done 115000. Just like that i also asked regarding Engine Overhaul. They quoted 1.25lacs to 1.50 lacs. Is is really so costly?
Piyush_Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 14:51   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom View Post
My Swift Turbo died 3 days back. MSM says there is Oil leakage and needs to change the turbocharger.Its done 115000. Just like that i also asked regarding Engine Overhaul. They quoted 1.25lacs to 1.50 lacs. Is is really so costly?
When did you do the last servicing? And did you notice a reduction in the turbo pull recently?
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 21:21   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, is this the case for Swift or in general, a diesel mill requires that kind of money for overhaul?
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 22:56   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please tell us more about the symptoms that led to a blown turbo! Were you noticing any abnormalities with the turbo kick?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 02:46   #261
BHPian

No. Nothing substantial but there was a noticeable performance dip which i thought due to high mileage of 115000. Some noticeable smoke, thats it.One more update the Self also failed. Total Quote i got for my servicing was 30k includes rear Suspension Work( Which failed even if i drove my car single only and no one else 95% of time, rear Brake Drums gone they were changed at 85K earlier, Self and Turbocharger)
Such high maintenance cost for a Vehicle which has driven for 115000 is pretty high and i was thinking of buying the New Swift but i am apprehensive now.The best part is no issues with Clutch till now.

To top that every service was done on time at MSM and i dont abuse my cars. I have already driven around 6 lac KM till date.

I also have an Toyota Innova which has done 170000. No such issues till now.

Is the amount for complete engine overhaul normal or is it only with Swift Diesel.

Last edited by Piyush_Vroom : 7th September 2011 at 02:48.
Piyush_Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 18:06   #262
Senior - BHPian

Guys i recently TD'd the New Swift from 2 different dealers and noticed completely different turbo behaviour in both cars.

Car#1: Car only had about 600 odd kms and i could feel a distinct turbo kick at around 2k rpm and performance below that was OK, which made me feel the turbo kick-in.

Car#2: Had about 2600 odd kms on it, and the turbo behaviour was strange. There was only a very slight 'kick' and the power delivery for most part was very linear.

I know these are TD cars and are driven with a care-free attitude, but will the turbo be so badly affected by driving style ? another point is that the 2nd car would've undergone service at 1k so is there such a HUGE change after service ?

If both the points are not true can it simply be a blown turbo in car 2? Wouldn't Maruti have addressed turbo issues when the *new* Swift was launched?
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 18:51   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Guys i recently TD'd the New Swift from 2 different dealers and noticed completely different turbo behaviour in both cars.
Shashank.nk / All,

what you have mentioned about 2 diff turbo behaviours in 2 diff cars is what I have been noticing in my single car alone

At times my Car acts as if its all ready to spring into action , feel as if the Turbo charger will explode if not let go.

At times my car acts as if there is a linear delivery of Turbo power ... no surge whatsoever which adds more gloom to a gloomy day.

At times I feel as if the surge comes back when when the Diesel level indicator comes to Half tank.

Dunno what could be the issue but my mind keeps playing when 2 diff scenarios occur with the same Vehicle.

have covered 15k kms so far and have just bought a Air Filter today , will be replacing the same tomorrow and checking for any changes , am telling myself that its the Air Filter and should be resolved by Tomorrow...

I hate the addiction to the Turbo boost now , cause the moment you dont feel it, its easily noticeable and then start thinking what could have gone wrong.

Experts : Please share your views.

PS: I always refill from a reputed HP Fuel Pump at Vashi Navi Mumbai.

Last edited by Peter : 9th November 2011 at 19:02.
Old 9th November 2011, 22:02   #264
Senior - BHPian

No idea about diesel parts, never opened one except few trucks. Please ask in details the cost involved in overhauling. Get a detail quote and post. Will try to find a best rate for you. As a friend is a MASS owner. i don't think overhauling cost is so much.

Just shifted to diesel a week ago, in fact bought a diesel commuter, Ritz a year back, Was not happy with it at first and had given it to somebody for her use. Now it returns home. No choice due to the current rise in petrol price. I am now quite happy with it.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 22:21   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the normal life of DDIS Turbo? Does it varies based on driving style or Do we need to change it after certain amount of driving is done(Ex: 50K or 75K Kms etc.)? Please advise.
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 20:54   #266
Senior - BHPian

With proper maintanence there should be no issue with the turbo of the swift, but the main problem is that the service centers overfilling engine oil which made their way into the intercooler, resulting in blown turbo's.

The turbo charger for the earlier swift VDI costs only 15k compared to old verna which used to cost around 60k. If I'm not mistaken, this was the cheapest of all the turbo charged diesels available. Again, my information is about 3 years old when I was originally dealing with the issue, and things may have changed now.

@piyush vroom - 30k for all the parts that you had mentioned doesnt look expensive at all. Of course its a different arguement whether those should have failed in the first place.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 16:37   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Shashank.nk / All,

what you have mentioned about 2 diff turbo behaviours in 2 diff cars is what I have been noticing in my single car alone

At times my Car acts as if its all ready to spring into action , feel as if the Turbo charger will explode if not let go.

At times my car acts as if there is a linear delivery of Turbo power ... no surge whatsoever which adds more gloom to a gloomy day.

At times I feel as if the surge comes back when when the Diesel level indicator comes to Half tank.

Dunno what could be the issue but my mind keeps playing when 2 diff scenarios occur with the same Vehicle.

have covered 15k kms so far and have just bought a Air Filter today , will be replacing the same tomorrow and checking for any changes , am telling myself that its the Air Filter and should be resolved by Tomorrow...

I hate the addiction to the Turbo boost now , cause the moment you dont feel it, its easily noticeable and then start thinking what could have gone wrong.

Experts : Please share your views.

PS: I always refill from a reputed HP Fuel Pump at Vashi Navi Mumbai.
I have felt exactly the same way you mentioned. Sometimes, it'll explode to torque steer, some times not and sometimes behave as if a turbo is not there. I have always felt that the turbo kick I get in city areas and my home town are different to be noticed. I attribute it to cold air and oxygen content and its much better in village areas. Or is it something else? Also, the turbo kick won't be much erotic provided you stay in some intermediate rpms for a while and then try accelerating. Agree on the addiction part
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 12:18   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I have felt exactly the same way you mentioned. Sometimes, it'll explode to torque steer, some times not and sometimes behave as if a turbo is not there. I have always felt that the turbo kick I get in city areas and my home town are different to be noticed. I attribute it to cold air and oxygen content and its much better in village areas. Or is it something else? Also, the turbo kick won't be much erotic provided you stay in some intermediate rpms for a while and then try accelerating. Agree on the addiction part
I agree to your findings in regards to the Oxygen content bhp_maniac, what I have now done is replaced the Air Filter and there is reasonable diff in performance , at least the turbo behaviour variations has reduced considerably,

I also strongly feel that the air filter should be changed every 5k to 8k kms unlike what MASS recommends which is 20k kms in congested dusty cities\areas.

Am happy with the change for now

PS: The air filter is very delicate and can hardly be cleaned hence feel that replacement is a better option in my opinion , just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Peter : 16th November 2011 at 12:24.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:36   #269
BHPian

Quote:
I agree to your findings in regards to the Oxygen content bhp_maniac, what I have now done is replaced the Air Filter and there is reasonable diff in performance , at least the turbo behaviour variations has reduced considerably,

I also strongly feel that the air filter should be changed every 5k to 8k kms unlike what MASS recommends which is 20k kms in congested dusty cities\areas.

Am happy with the change for now

PS: The air filter is very delicate and can hardly be cleaned hence feel that replacement is a better option in my opinion , just my personal opinion.
on the replacement part. I replaced it at 10K. And also, clean it every 2000 km. Cleaning definitely improves performance. You will be surprised by the amount of dust and other things which gets into, especially when the area of application is city and surroundings
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 15:22   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Team,

My Car is behaving like before, no Turbo boost... inspite of filling up at COCO pumps to rule out adulterated Diesel.

ON every Tankfull I have noticed Turbo boost only once , meaning 1nce every Tankfull, then it goes down ... by going down I mean there is power delivery , no pickup loss ,but there is no surge.

The car seems to drive like any normal car without turbo.

What Ive noticed when the Turbo surge occurs is that the car seems to feel very light and ready to run and the Turbo keeps on kicking in in every gear , dont feel like stopping the car when this surge kicks in , cause the moment I switch off and the later on start the engine the surge is gone, back to where it was earlier ... NO surge and engine feels lethargic .. heavy.

Iam still trying to figure out why this 2 diff behaviours with the same Diesel in the tank ,

Any ideas ?