Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd July 2012, 13:03   #286
BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Will guess, any issue with breather system that is putting load on the fuel pump? Something like air lock. Ask him to tank up and leave the tank cap little loose, ensure this is not done during rains or car wash
Ok Jaggu will try to get that possibility checked , thanks !!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 13:48   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Hi experts,

I'm facing a problem in my Swift Dzire Diesel.

For the last few weeks, I observed that the turbo sounds very harsh in the peak turbo range (1900-2200 RPM), only in the 4th and 5th gears. In the 1st and 2nd gear, there's no harshness at all, in the 3rd gear, the harshness is easily heard/felt, in the 4th gear it is quite loud and bad, and in the 5th it is downright annoying. Once I cross 2200 RPM, the harshness disappears.

This wasn't the case earlier, where the turbo sound used to be a sweet whistle in all the gears.

I got it checked by Sagar Automobiles, Bangalore, and they couldn't figure out the problem. Also, in Bangalore it is difficult to reach the 4th and 5th gears easily . Note that I don't feel any loss of power. It's just the sound. I've done about 25000 kms.

I'm not sure if this should be a separate thread. Anyway, any pointers on what could be wrong will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Please check the insulation between Engine & passenger compartment. had a similar problem. The insulation between Engine & passenger compartment had slipped.

Sound is less in lower gears as your turbo barely spools up in these gears. It is also less in higher gears at higher speeds as wind and tyre noise start to dominate.

Regards
SR71A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 19:04   #288
BHPian

My swift, which has done 47k kms, is suffering from mucho delayed boost problem too :(
So I gave it for a full servicing (including air filter replacement), just to rule out any issues and then took it for a drive with the SDT connected. The engine oil filled was exactly 3.1L (with a new oil filter)

The SDT indicated 90kPa of boost at idle.

2nd gear:
At 2000, it was just around 120.
At 2500, around 170
Saw 190kPa at slightly higher RPM

3rd gear:
2200 rpm: 150kPa

Of course, in a properly functioning turbo, we should get close to 240kPa at around 2000RPM.

The SA said it could be due to the following:
1) Oil in intercooler
2) Faulty boost pressure sensor
3) Faulty Turbo
4) Weak clutch

Of these, I don't buy the 4th possible cause - even though I'm running the original clutch, it's not slipping at all.
Any suggestions on how to proceed? The SA wants to keep the car for 1 day so that he can figure out the issue completely.

Has anyone got their turbo boost back after getting the intercooler cleaned of oil?
Should I try a soft reset of the ECU by disconnecting the battery to see if that helps?
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 20:10   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Dear Bhpians,

A friend of mine has this curious issue with his DDIS ( SX4 ) ,

There is a noticeable loss of turbo , or at least the turbo seems to be lethargic everytime he tanks up his car ( Full tank )

After the fuel indicator drops down say to 3/4 as per the fuel indicator there is a difference in performance , the Car itself feels lighter and the turbo just responds like ready for a sprint.

The above behaviour seems to continue for every tank full he has done so far ... hence he now refills only to half , maybe sometimes 3/4 the tank capacity only to avoid the lethargic approach that he experiences on a Full tank.

Please note : The Fuel station has always remained the same .

What do you make of this ? :(
@Peter: Since I drive a Ertiga DDiS which has same engine and turbo, I am curious whether this issue was fixed and what was the cause of this issue. Please update. Thanks in advance!
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 17:45   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The SDT indicated 90kPa of boost at idle.

2nd gear:
At 2000, it was just around 120.
At 2500, around 170
Saw 190kPa at slightly higher RPM

3rd gear:
2200 rpm: 150kPa

Of course, in a properly functioning turbo, we should get close to 240kPa at around 2000RPM.
Are you sure of the figures for the boost from your Swift buddy?

90 kPa (at idle) = 13.05psi
240 kPa = 34.80psi

Here are the turbo boost figures of my Ritz VDi which has clocked 84000kms.

This is at idle:
Name:  Revvs Boost Coolant Temp Battery Speed.jpg
Views: 4466
Size:  46.7 KB

This is while cruising at 80kmph:
Name:  Cruising at 80 kmph.jpg
Views: 4197
Size:  47.2 KB

This is while cruising at 100 kmph.
Name:  Cruising at 100 kmph.jpg
Views: 4288
Size:  47.4 KB

This is the highest boost pressure I got while accelerating from 2000 rpm to 2500 rpm:
Name:  Boost Pressure.jpg
Views: 4306
Size:  31.3 KB

Here, I can see your car developing a too high a boost pressure at idle. It does seem alarming by the figures developed by your car. Get it checked from another service center.

I use a ELM 327 Vgate v2.1 Bluetooth scanner tool for checking the above parameters.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 31st March 2013 at 17:47.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 18:37   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Are you sure of the figures for the boost from your Swift buddy?

90 kPa (at idle) = 13.05psi
240 kPa = 34.80psi
The thing to note in my readings is that they're representing the atmospheric pressure + the boost pressure.
The atmospheric pressure is 90kPa, so to compare to your boost readings, you will need to subtract 90kPa from all of my readings.

Your boost figure of 18.9psi is perfect.

I went and compared my readings to another swift (done 37k kms) which had a proper kick at 2000RPM and found that it developed a max of around 210kPa of boost.
In 3rd gear at around 2200rpm, it had a boost of 200kPa.
In neutral at 3500RPM, it had a boost of 150kPa as compared to around 120kPa in mine.

We tried a number of things to try to fix my issue and drove around with the SDT connected to see if there was any change.

1) Replace MAF sensor - no effect
2) Replace boost sensor - no effect
3) Verify EGR operation
4) Clean the intercooler - Maybe had a very small improvement in performance.
5) Check all pipes from air filter -> turbo ->intercooler-> engine for leaks

After all this, we concluded that the turbo itself must have lost some of its performance and needs to be replaced :(

Is there anything else that we could check?
Right now, there's no kick in my car and the turbo comes on quite gradually at around 2500-3000 RPM.
It's much worse with the Bangalore heat these days and improves a bit when the temperatures go down.
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:01   #292
BHPian

Quote:
The thing to note in my readings is that they're representing the atmospheric pressure + the boost pressure.
The atmospheric pressure is 90kPa, so to compare to your boost readings, you will need to subtract 90kPa from all of my readings.

I went and compared my readings to another swift (done 37k kms) which had a proper kick at 2000RPM and found that it developed a max of around 210kPa of boost.
In 3rd gear at around 2200rpm, it had a boost of 200kPa.
In neutral at 3500RPM, it had a boost of 150kPa as compared to around 120kPa in mine.

We tried a number of things to try to fix my issue and drove around with the SDT connected to see if there was any change.

1) Replace MAF sensor - no effect
2) Replace boost sensor - no effect
3) Verify EGR operation
4) Clean the intercooler - Maybe had a very small improvement in performance.
5) Check all pipes from air filter -> turbo ->intercooler-> engine for leaks

After all this, we concluded that the turbo itself must have lost some of its performance and needs to be replaced :(

Is there anything else that we could check?
Right now, there's no kick in my car and the turbo comes on quite gradually at around 2500-3000 RPM.
It's much worse with the Bangalore heat these days and improves a bit when the temperatures go down.
Regarding the turbo replacement, is your DDIS under warranty? What is the MASS telling about a solution? I had similar issues and had my turbo replaced twice around 15K ODO which fixed the issue. Now at 30K on ODO, my turbo performance is not that great and I have mentioned this during the service.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:48   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
to compare to your boost readings, you will need to subtract 90kPa from all of my readings.

Ah!,

So what is MASS telling about the turbo then? Are they going to replace it or you have to bear the cost?

I am getting that 'kick' between 2000 - 2500 rpm. Is it that if the turbo is not working properly then the boost delays with respect to rpm? I mean the kick will be felt only at a later RPM's?

Anurag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I had similar issues and had my turbo replaced twice around 15K ODO which fixed the issue. Now at 30K on ODO, my turbo performance is not that great and I have mentioned this during the service.
Turbo replaced twice in 15000 kms? Why not plug in an OBD to get the real data for your turbo functionality?

What is the turbocharger make that is used in this 1.3 MJD? Like Honeywell makes turbo for the 1.5L i-DTEC in the Honda Amaze.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:57   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Ah!,
Turbo replaced twice in 15000 kms? Why not plug in an OBD to get the real data for your turbo functionality?

What is the turbocharger make that is used in this 1.3 MJD? Like Honeywell makes turbo for the 1.5L i-DTEC in the Honda Amaze.

Anurag.
I had the issue once. The replaced turbo itself never performed satisfactory and hence a replacement then and there itself which makes it two OBD? No way, Old swift diesel is not OBD compliant
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:11   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had the issue once. The replaced turbo itself never performed satisfactory and hence a replacement then and there itself which makes it two OBD? No way, Old swift diesel is not OBD compliant
Third turbo replacement is ready?

From reading your signature here it says your car is 2010 Swift model. This says your is OBD-II compliant.

OBD-II works on models released 2009. Even my car is 2010 model and it works well in my car so there should not be a problem in yours. Try it out buddy.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:14   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Third turbo replacement is ready?

From reading your signature here it says your car is 2010 Swift model. This says your is OBD-II compliant.

OBD-II works on models released 2009. Even my car is 2010 model and it works well in my car so there should not be a problem in yours. Try it out buddy.

Anurag.
I guess you answered your question

Ritz is OBD compliant. But only the new model swift is OBD compliant and not the old one is what I understood.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 2nd April 2013 at 17:43.
Old 6th April 2013, 20:29   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the turbo replacement, is your DDIS under warranty? What is the MASS telling about a solution?
Quote:
Ah!,

So what is MASS telling about the turbo then? Are they going to replace it or you have to bear the cost?

I am getting that 'kick' between 2000 - 2500 rpm. Is it that if the turbo is not working properly then the boost delays with respect to rpm? I mean the kick will be felt only at a later RPM's?

No, my swift is not in warranty. Currently, I'm just driving around with a less than ideal turbo response. I'm not able to justify spending 15k for the replacement right now. If the turbo deteriorates further, I'll have to get the repairs done out of my own pocket, of course.

Regarding your other question, yes, if the turbo is damaged in any way (bent fins etc) then it will take longer to spool up and that will cause the boost to come in at a higher rpm. Of course, there can be a lot of other reasons for the boost to be delayed, other than the turbo itself.
Old 4th June 2013, 13:26   #298
BHPian

Mates,

My dzire ZDI has clocked 1,48,550 km and I observed one peculiar sound though it sounds like whistle but very sarcastic and it is coming from beneath of rear seats. When I contacted the MASS, the executive there said this sounds is related to Turbo noise. Which is okay you can drive the car without any hassles. Since my car has drove almost 1.5 lacs it is time to replace the turbo. I fail to understand if it is turbo noise why is it coming from rear? Please note here that there is no drop in pickup observed also the FE has not reduced.
What is the Turbo Life of Swift dzire?
If I need to replace turbo what will be the cost and is it worth?
MASS executive has given the approximate estimation of 35k-40k, Is it okay?
Just need to know the reasons of failing turbo and what precautions one can take to increase the life of Turbo?
Achilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 13:51   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
Mates,

My dzire ZDI has clocked 1,48,550 km and I observed one peculiar sound though it sounds like whistle but very sarcastic and it is coming from beneath of rear seats. When I contacted the MASS, the executive there said this sounds is related to Turbo noise. Which is okay you can drive the car without any hassles. Since my car has drove almost 1.5 lacs it is time to replace the turbo. I fail to understand if it is turbo noise why is it coming from rear? Please note here that there is no drop in pickup observed also the FE has not reduced.
What is the Turbo Life of Swift dzire?
If I need to replace turbo what will be the cost and is it worth?
MASS executive has given the approximate estimation of 35k-40k, Is it okay?
Just need to know the reasons of failing turbo and what precautions one can take to increase the life of Turbo?
Hi Achilless,

Could you please explain the noise a little further. like does it come in after reaching a particular rpm or is it from the start of the car? Is the noise also associated with any kind of grinding noise.

My first guess is this is not related to the turbo as you mention there is no drop in power or FE. If the whistle is associated along with some sort of grinding noise my guess would be a worn rear wheel bearing.

Also is there any change in the NVH? If so have the Exhaust system checked for any leaks and worn out rubber bushes(Worn rubber bushes can cause squeaking when in low rpm due to metal on metal rubbing of certain components).

I do not own a dezire or any MJD engined cars so cant comment on the life of it and its cost.

Precaution that can be taken are:
1) Proper idling of the engine before moving the car.
2) Reach optimum operational temperature before you start revving the car to its limit.
3) Proper idling before shutting of the engine.

Hope it helps

Last edited by rocky080 : 4th June 2013 at 13:54. Reason: Edit
rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 14:15   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
Mates,

Can you record the sound and upload the mp3? I recently rebulit the turbo on my Tucson and since then it also whistles. I have shared the recorded whistle on my ownership thread. In any case, I think it should not come from rear but are you sure you have sensed the direction right? Is your car consuming oil? Do you frequently clean your air filter? Do you idle for at least half a minute on startup and before shutdown?

You can refert to my case here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3047188
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote