Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th December 2013, 22:27   #331
BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Hello Team,

Have ecountered a weird issue today , while driving on the Pune expressway there was a need for sudden increase in speed at an incline , normally this was the best part of the DDIS where in the engine would instantly respond but today there was no response at all ... however much I depressed the throttle there was no response , meaning I did not notice any change in performance , shifting down a gear and hard acceleration also did not help , the car would just not pull.

The issue somehow resolved itself after sometime and was able to drive smothly for another 100 kms when again the power drop was noticed for a few mins.

The weird thing about this is that this issue of lack of pickup is not consistent and resolves itself but then this behaviour is a cause of concern, also another thing that Ive noticed is that when the power / boost is lost the engine sounds a bit rough as well .

Any ideas as to what could be going wrong ? need to figure this out before the issue becomes any worse ... and to be honest without the much needed boost / torque , driving becomes more pain then pleasure , please help
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 23:00   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Hello Team,

Have ecountered a weird issue today , while driving on the Pune expressway there was a need for sudden increase in speed at an incline , normally this was the best part of the DDIS where in the engine would instantly respond but today there was no response at all ... however much I depressed the throttle there was no response , meaning I did not notice any change in performance , shifting down a gear and hard acceleration also did not help , the car would just not pull.

The issue somehow resolved itself after sometime and was able to drive smothly for another 100 kms when again the power drop was noticed for a few mins.

The weird thing about this is that this issue of lack of pickup is not consistent and resolves itself but then this behaviour is a cause of concern, also another thing that Ive noticed is that when the power / boost is lost the engine sounds a bit rough as well .

Any ideas as to what could be going wrong ? need to figure this out before the issue becomes any worse ... and to be honest without the much needed boost / torque , driving becomes more pain then pleasure , please help
I guess there is a problem either with the fuel or the fuel pump is not working as it should.

May be the fuel is not being supplied causing no power output or the ECU is not able to get the signal from the accelerator input.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 23:12   #333
Senior - BHPian

Peter, are you sure you were not there in the turbo lag zone when you stomped on the accelerator?
DRIV3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 09:33   #334
BHPian

I had a similar issue, please see my earlier update. After starting to fill regularly from a known fuel outlet, I haven't hit this problem ever since.
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 11:35   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For the Swift it must work post mid-2009 models and not earlier as they are OBD I.

Anurag.
Are you sure about this? Because once I asked someone from service center and the guy was sure it won't work for me. But recently heard like the ELM327 woks on BS4 Swift DDiS. Mine is a BS4 model made in May 2010. Any chance?
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 11:45   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Are you sure about this? Because once I asked someone from service center and the guy was sure it won't work for me. But recently heard like the ELM327 woks on BS4 Swift DDiS. Mine is a BS4 model made in May 2010. Any chance?
OBD II is after 2008 manufactured vehicles. I presume it will be standard post mid-2009.

It was a general point that I made but it should work in your car as it is a 2010 manufactured vehicle. By the way did you try using the OBD II reader?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 11:46   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello Team,

Have ecountered a weird issue today , while driving on the Pune expressway there was a need for sudden increase in speed at an incline
========
driving becomes more pain then pleasure , please help
Might be a bad terminal at the accelerator pedal side. Try doing this, while parked and with engine switched OFF. Press the accelerator pedal fully couple of times and in a swift manner. If there is some dirt or minor corrosion at the contacts, this will help in clearing it away. Happened to my car also once, and followed the procedure above. Issue never came back.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 12:32   #338
BHPian

Quote:
I guess there is a problem either with the fuel or the fuel pump is not working as it should.

Anurag.
Thanks Anurag ... am doubting the fuel quality as well , though hope its not a pump issue , on my way back I refuelled at the COCO pump on the way back at the Pune expressway and the performance seemed to have improved , dont know whether its my imagination yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Peter, are you sure you were not there in the turbo lag zone when you stomped on the accelerator?
Thanks for asking , was indeed beyond the turbo lag ... even If I was in the lag zone then the engine would respond after a few secs as it got out of it , this occurence there was no intention to move ahead but rather stayed there

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
I had a similar issue, please see my earlier update. After starting to fill regularly from a known fuel outlet, I haven't hit this problem ever since.
Hope its indeed a fuel issue Pearljam and not anything more then that , though I have been filling up regularly at a COCO pump at Kharghar Navi Mumbai only for the past 2 years but then again even a COCO pump could have issues at times !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Might be a bad terminal at the accelerator pedal side. Try doing this, while parked and with engine switched OFF. Press the accelerator pedal fully couple of times and in a swift manner. If there is some dirt or minor corrosion at the contacts, this will help in clearing it away. Happened to my car also once, and followed the procedure above. Issue never came back.
Thanks Jaggu , will try that.

@ All : Just occurred to me that just before I noticed this issue a few days before I had cleaned the air filter with a vacuum cleaner thinking that it would do a good job , though am thinking that the vacuum cleaner should not damage the air filter , at least visually I do not see any damage but just thought as this was the only thing that I did prior to noticing the issue.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 12:34   #339
Senior - BHPian

It seems like my Swift Zdi has a small issue, this is what happens, when the rpm is between 1500-2000 the power delivery tends to be jerky, though not violently that passengers feel it,I as driver can definitely feel it. It happens from 2nd onwards, but whenever I try to replicate it, the degree of jerkiness varies and sometime is totally absent.

What could be possibly wrong ?
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 12:42   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ All : Just occurred to me that just before I noticed this issue a few days before I had cleaned the air filter with a vacuum cleaner thinking that it would do a good job , though am thinking that the vacuum cleaner should not damage the air filter , at least visually I do not see any damage but just thought as this was the only thing that I did prior to noticing the issue.
Did you use vacuum cleaner to blow or suck the dust, if its former better to get the filter replaced since it would have damaged the filter surface. Blowing will not cause any serious issue as long as its opp direction of air flow through the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
It seems like my Swift Zdi has a small issue, this is what happens, when the rpm is between 1500-2000 the power delivery tends to be jerky, though not violently that passengers feel it,I as driver can definitely feel it. It happens from 2nd onwards, but whenever I try to replicate it, the degree of jerkiness varies and sometime is totally absent.

This could be a minor block of filter or in the injectors, had this issue sometime back though the filter was clean. Did an italian tune up and it was ok.

If you drive alot in city, stretching the engine out with longer runs and at higher rpm is a good idea once in a while.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th December 2013 at 12:45.
Old 9th December 2013, 12:49   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This could be a minor block of filter or in the injectors, had this issue sometime back though the filter was clean. Did an italian tune up and it was ok.

If you drive alot in city, stretching the engine out with longer runs and at higher rpm is a good idea once in a while.
I just cameback from a 600km drive and did take the car to higher rpms so that should clear out the blocked injector ? Will take the car to get filter cleaned. Also can you please explain what in italian tune up is.

EDIT: Figured out italian tune up. For blocked indicators System G/Bardahl klene would help ?

@Anurag: Nope, this isn't turbo lag or driving at a higher gear than should be.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 9th December 2013 at 12:58.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 12:51   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

That is the famous turbo lag range.

I have felt this jerkiness a couple of times but cannot replicate it if I want.

I am clueless here. Hooked up the OBD II Reader but no issues found at this RPM range.

Quote:

I drive the car till redline for a few seconds every 2000 kms. Does get rid of the sooth from exhaust pipe.

What is an Italian tune up?

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th December 2013 at 12:54.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 13:01   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I drive the car till redline for a few seconds every 2000 kms. Does get rid of the sooth from exhaust pipe.

What is an Italian tune up?

Anurag.
Italian tune up is similar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup

Basically run the engine at higher rpms/low gears for sometime so that all the soot clears off from the system. Ensure you do it once the engine is heated up and on open road stretches with minimal traffic so that the acceleration/deceleration and soot doesn't effect other road users.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 13:34   #344
BHPian

Quote:
OBD II is after 2008 manufactured vehicles. I presume it will be standard post mid-2009.

It was a general point that I made but it should work in your car as it is a 2010 manufactured vehicle. By the way did you try using the OBD II reader?

Anurag.
Never got a chance to try it out. Anyway, planning for a Bangalore trip in the coming weeks, hopefully will get a chance to check up with some ELM 327 sellers, have communicated with couple of them in Bangalore.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 13:44   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Never got a chance to try it out. Anyway, planning for a Bangalore trip in the coming weeks, hopefully will get a chance to check up with some ELM 327 sellers, have communicated with couple of them in Bangalore.
Let me know, i have one and you can try it out for free if you are in Koramangala, Indira Nagar side to see if it works.