Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th December 2013, 13:46   #346
BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you use vacuum cleaner to blow or suck the dust, if its former better to get the filter replaced since it would have damaged the filter surface. Blowing will not cause any serious issue as long as its opp direction of air flow through the filter.
Aha ... that was a sucking process , will replace the filter and then update you all !!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 13:48   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Let me know, i have one and you can try it out for free if you are in Koramangala, Indira Nagar side to see if it works.
Thanks Jaggu. Will let you know once am there.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 14:17   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Aha ... that was a sucking process , will replace the filter and then update you all !!
Hello Team,

Replaced the Air filter today and guess what ... the issue was resolved ,

The engine noise came down noticeably , earlier it was a bit harsh with just 5K running after an Oil change.

The engine runs much smoother now as well and the pickup is restored

Thanks for all your inputs to get to the bottom of this
Old 11th December 2013, 14:58   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Did you use vacuum cleaner to blow or suck the dust, if its former better to get the filter replaced since it would have damaged the filter surface. Blowing will not cause any serious issue as long as its opp direction of air flow through the filter.
I clean the airfilter of my Ertiga by blowing air but I have not paid attention to the direction. I might have blown air in the same direction as the air flow through the filter. Could that have caused any damage to the air filter, should I replace it?
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 15:13   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I clean the airfilter of my Ertiga by blowing air but I have not paid attention to the direction. I might have blown air in the same direction as the air flow through the filter. Could that have caused any damage to the air filter, should I replace it?
Hello Mohan ,

I normally replace the airfilter every 5K kms as it costs Rs 338 only for the SX4 DDIS which is way better then cleaning the filter considering the amount of dirt that wraps aroung the filter out here in Mumbai and taking into account the impact on the engine with all the dirt getting in , dont know what came to my mind though but this time thought I will vacuum the filter which was a bad idea.

So to summarise in my opinion , replacing would be the way to go , but then again its just me .
Peter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 15:36   #351
BHPian

Last week i noticed a strange issue in my 2011 Swift Vdi. I was on the Mumbai-Pune express highway. Driving at around 2100 rpm on the 5th gear.
I push the accelerator a bit to increase the speed, and dudhh.. the turbo's gone... feels like a car without turbo, just revving, naturally aspirated diesel engine.

What I mean to say is that there was a sudden loss of power. I took my leg off the accelerator pedal, paused a second and put it back on, but nothing; the car still feels dead.

And then suddenly, turbo was up and running, the rpm increased to 2500 and then did not face any issue. Car drove perfectly fine later on.

Till today, when I noticed the similar issue.. the only difference is that i was in 4th gear today.

The car has done 35k kms. Planning to get the car serviced this weekend. Any thing that I need to stress on, for this issue..??
iamahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 16:04   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Last week i noticed a strange issue in my 2011 Swift Vdi. I was on the Mumbai-Pune express highway. Driving at around 2100 rpm on the 5th gear.
I push the accelerator a bit to increase the speed, and dudhh.. the turbo's gone... feels like a car without turbo, just revving, naturally aspirated diesel engine.

What I mean to say is that there was a sudden loss of power. I took my leg off the accelerator pedal, paused a second and put it back on, but nothing; the car still feels dead.

And then suddenly, turbo was up and running, the rpm increased to 2500 and then did not face any issue. Car drove perfectly fine later on.
Did you find any white smoke coming from the exhaust?
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 16:25   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Did you find any white smoke coming from the exhaust?
I did check in the IRVM, but couldn't notice any smoke, nor white, nor black. i was at 80kmph+ speeds.

Any ways, for knowledge purpose, what does it mean if the car emits white smoke(Black - I assume is normal for diesel engines)?

I am also curious to know what is the root of this issue. I have read the thread, and what I was able to understand is that it can be a clogged air filter, clutch or turbo.

If its the air filter, cheap to replace.. in budget.
Clutch/Turbo - May turn out wayy to expensive, especially now that i am out of the warranty period.

Last edited by iamahunter : 11th December 2013 at 16:27. Reason: Quote+ vaisakhr
Old 11th December 2013, 16:45   #354
BHPian

Quote:

Interesting .... see my post 331 , exact same issue though now resolved by replacing the air filter
Old 11th December 2013, 19:21   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did check in the IRVM, but couldn't notice any smoke, nor white, nor black. i was at 80kmph+ speeds.

Any ways, for knowledge purpose, what does it mean if the car emits white smoke(Black - I assume is normal for diesel engines)?
White smoke means oil spillage into turbo/intercooler. May be the service centre filled extra oil ? I believe a intercooler cleaning should take care if this.
Im not sure if there are other possibilities for white smoke.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 19:47   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
White smoke means oil spillage into turbo/intercooler. May be the service centre filled extra oil ? I believe a intercooler cleaning should take care if this.
Im not sure if there are other possibilities for white smoke.
+1 to shashank.nk's explanation.

White or blueish white smoke means the Lube oil has entered in your combustion chamber which is not expected in 4 stroke engines. The reasons are, if your air filters are not clean the intake pressure will be reduced. So when the turbo spin up the blower side of the turbine may not get sufficient air and in return there will be a pressure drop, this drop helps the LO to enter the blower side of the turbine and it goes straight inside the cylinder. Once there is LO inside the combustion efficiency will be reduced due to that and what you'll have is a temporary drop in power.

Black smoke is caused due to improper combustion because of faulty injector or the air is insufficient for the quantity of fuel injected, which means chocked air filter again.
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 20:21   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Black smoke - insufficient combustion. Check the air filter as it would have clogged. Fueling mixture also could be rich.

White smoke - Oil entered into the combustion chamber as the piston rings have gone kaput.

A white smoke emanating engine won't run for long and I'm case you do notice then check for the oil in the engine as it will reach below the low mark slowly and then a seized engine.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 20:42   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
A white smoke emanating engine won't run for long and I'm case you do notice then check for the oil in the engine as it will reach below the low mark slowly and then a seized engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
White or blueish white smoke means the Lube oil has entered in your combustion chamber which is not... ..which means chocked air filter again.
Thanks for the detailed information guys.

Till date I haven't seen any smoke coming out of the tail pipes, should I try revving at standstill to check it..??

If the oil levels are dropping, then the temperature also may rise in the engine (which will eventually lead to seizure),
but the car is running smoothly and is returning around 18kmpl with the AC on.

I will do a check on the engine oil levels, and see if it is more than required.
But i doubt that that may be the situation,
as this problem has occurred only twice in the past 6 - 7 months (10k kms of driving).

I do not feel any roughness while driving,
except a bit harsh clatter from the engine while ideling (which may be fixed in the upcoming service).

As suggested, I'll get the air filter replaced this time and hope that the problem gets resolved.

Thank you guys for the priceless knowledge shared.
Loving team-bhp more and more, proud to be a bhpian.
Old 12th December 2013, 09:59   #359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Not too big an issue, but ideally blow it in the opposite direction. Damage depends on how much and how hard the air was blown, not really damage the air filter might become lil inefficient.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 15:01   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Hello Team,

Replaced the Air filter today and guess what ... the issue was resolved ,

The engine noise came down noticeably , earlier it was a bit harsh with just 5K running after an Oil change.

The engine runs much smoother now as well and the pickup is restored

Thanks for all your inputs to get to the bottom of this
Dear All,

Spoke to soon I guess as the issue came up again today ... the same issue experienced by Mohan in a few threads back.

But what I have noticed is that I have noticed the power dropping out when the outside temparature is high ... meaning below

First occurence : Estimated time was around 3:30 pm on the Pune expressway
Second Occurence : Around 4pm on the same expressway
Third occurence : Today at around 11:30 pm Navi Mumbai
Fourth occurence : Today at 2pm Vikhroli Mumbai

Havent seen or rather expperienced any issue during my night drives though which raises eyebrows

Any ideas ?