Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th December 2013, 15:22   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Dear All,

Spoke to soon I guess as the issue came up again today
Is there any warning lights coming on momentarily? Is it occurring when the engine is under high load?
I had a similar issue. The CEL used to come on momentarily. The car was scanned with SDT and error code was detected associated with boost controller circuit. A leak was found in the vaccuum pipe connected to the turbo. Also, a vacuum valve associated with turbo was replaced. Nothing too costly.
archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 16:00   #362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear All,

Spoke to soon I guess as the issue came up again today ... the same issue experienced by Mohan in a few threads back.
=======
Any ideas ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Is there any warning lights coming on momentarily?
========Nothing too costly.
Get a scan done, even if the ECU light is not ON, some errors can be recorded in the ECU. That can give you some idea of what is wrong. But yes an air leak seems like a high probability. Check the intercooler and turbo plumbing, if they have become slightly lose.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 16:56   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Is there any warning lights coming on momentarily? Is it occurring when the engine is under high load?
I had a similar issue. The CEL used to come on momentarily. The car was scanned with SDT and error code was detected associated with boost controller circuit. A leak was found in the vacuum pipe connected to the turbo. Also, a vacuum valve associated with turbo was replaced. Nothing too costly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get a scan done, even if the ECU light is not ON, some errors can be recorded in the ECU. That can give you some idea of what is wrong. But yes an air leak seems like a high probability. Check the intercooler and turbo plumbing, if they have become slightly lose.
Just a doubt to both of you. Won't there be a leak all the time when the engine is ON as the hissing sound will be heard always? Yes, it will get louder if and when the Turbo spools up and if the plumbing is loose there would be oil also that would drip on the floor. Right?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 17:03   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Just a doubt to both of you. Won't there be a leak all the time when the engine is ON as the hissing sound will be heard always? Yes, it will get louder if and when the Turbo spools up and if the plumbing is loose there would be oil also that would drip on the floor. Right?

Anurag.
If the leak is at the early stage the problem may occur intermittently.
My problem was :
Quote:
While driving the car at speed over 100KM/Hr the car suddenly and momentarily loses its power (felt like braking the car though I was accelerating), the CEL light comes on. After a few second (2-3sec max) the CEL light goes off and the car behaves normally.
Happened twice with a gap of 2 weeks before it was rectified.
archat68 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 14:12   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hello Jaggu, All ,

Problem solved , did a scan at MASS but came with no results ... just got the message "NO Codes to disply" which in a way was good .

Checked the Boost pressure and was found to be good - within the thresholds as per the technician.

Opened up the hood and voila ... found the issue , it was roundabout a 5 mm hose that was cut , the hose am being told is intended to maintain the vacuum for the vacuum actuator ? hope I got that right.

The hose was replaced and a test drive revealed that the issue has been resolved.

Will add pics to be more clear.

Cheers ..

Quote:
Will add pics to be more clear .
Adding 2 pics encircling the cut open hose for ref ..
Attached Thumbnails
Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-engine-pic-1.jpg  

Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-engine-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th December 2013 at 10:49.
Peter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 21:12   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Jaggu, All ,

Problem solved , did a scan at MASS but came with no results ... just got the message "NO Codes to disply" which in a way was good .

Checked the Boost pressure and was found to be good - within the thresholds as per the technician.

Opened up the hood and voila ... found the issue , it was roundabout a 5 mm hose that was cut , the hose am being told is intended to maintain the vacuum for the vacuum actuator ? hope I got that right.

The hose was replaced and a test drive revealed that the issue has been resolved.

Will add pics to be more clear.

Cheers ..
Does the hose have a technical name ? Could you please check the bill and post the technical name ?
F150 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 21:50   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Does the hose have a technical name ? Could you please check the bill and post the technical name ?
AFAIK, it is Turbo vacuum actuator pressure hose.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 23:05   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Quote:

Anurag.
Hello F150 , The job was done for me free of charge ... was informed that in the intial lot of SX4's this particular rubber hose was found to be a problem due to its rubber consistency and was found to be hard and prone to crack , am told that the rubber hoses in the newer lots were changed to overcome this issue hence was not charged for this work.

Anurag is abosultely correct ... it is indeed the Turbo vacuum actuator pressure hose and is a key compoenent to maintain adequate presure for the turbo.

Last edited by Peter : 14th December 2013 at 23:07.
Peter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 23:15   #369
BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
The same was replaced in my case too.
archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 11:36   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Jaggu, All ,

....Opened up the hood and voila ... found the issue , it was roundabout a 5 mm hose that was cut , the hose am being told is intended to maintain the vacuum for the vacuum actuator ? hope I got that right.

Hello everyone,

1.) I have been facing a similar issue in my SX4 VDi (38k). This issue has cropped up twice but only when I am slowing down after a 120-130 kmph drive. The car feels like a sloth with no boost from the turbo and is rectified only after the car is restarted. I will check the hose you have mentioned above.

2.) Also, there is a harsher than usual sound from the engine if I accelerate from 50-60 kmph in the 5th gear. It doesnt show up if the acceleration is gradual and linear but is surely present in case of sudden acceleration.

Any other pointers/suspects for these 2 problems?

Regards

Ameya

Last edited by Ameya_G : 7th April 2014 at 11:59.
Ameya_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 12:04   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya_G View Post
Hello everyone,

1.) I have been facing a similar issue in my SX4 VDi (38k). This issue has cropped up twice but only when I am slowing down after a 120-130 kmph drive. The car feels like a sloth with no boost from the turbo and is rectified only after the car is restarted. I will check the hose you have mentioned above.

2.) Also, there is a harsher than usual sound from the engine if I accelerate from 50-60 kmph in the 5th gear. It doesnt show up if the acceleration is gradual and linear but is surely present in case of sudden acceleration.

Any other pointers/suspects for these 2 problems?

Regards

Ameya
Welcome to the MJD 90PS club.
This is a common problem in MJD 90PS engines,especially Fiats.
And the only fix found till date is restarting the engine.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 12:42   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Welcome to the MJD 90PS club.

Thanks Akshay. So there is absolutely no remedy for this issue? There must be something which can be replaced or repaired which can stop this. So is it also faced by Quadrajets (Manza) and Fiat Punto (90HP), Linea etc?

If yes, i am really disappointed
Old 7th April 2014, 13:08   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

Lol, you seem to be replying just like our service centres.

So this problem should be reported even in an Ertiga that is 90PS. To be frank such turbo issues I have heard mostly from SX4 90PS engine.

What makes you say that restating the engine would solve the issue temporarily?

Quote:
So there is absolutely no remedy for this issue? There must be something which can be replaced or repaired which can stop this.
I still have my doubts on the Turbo plumbing and claps. There must be a leak that is making the car feel lost on power.

Anurag.
Old 7th April 2014, 13:59   #374
BHPian

Quote:

I still have my doubts on the Turbo plumbing and claps. There must be a leak that is making the car feel lost on power.
Hi Anurag. The car drives perfectly fine in day to day home- office - home drive with absolutely no loss in power. Its only after a spirited drive over 5-10 mins has this problem cropped up twice. Not sure what should i ask the service guys to check. Should i ask them to check for any leakages in the turbo?

Ameya.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:46   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what should i ask the service guys to check. Should i ask them to check for any leakages in the turbo?
Now I am confused too.

Get the turbo plumbing checked for any leaks.

Anurag.