Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th April 2014, 15:00   #376
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Lol, you seem to be replying just like our service centres.

So this problem should be reported even in an Ertiga that is 90PS. To be frank such turbo issues I have heard mostly from SX4 90PS engine.

What makes you say that restating the engine would solve the issue temporarily?

I still have my doubts on the Turbo plumbing and claps. There must be a leak that is making the car feel lost on power.

Anurag.
Anurag;i own a Linea,and i come across this issue pretty often at times.
People have replaced turbo's;cleaned EGR' valves;intake manifolds and what not.But the issue persists.And yes,after restarting,engine behaves as if nothing happened.

And if we go by your suggestion;if there is a leak,why does car behave normally after re starting?

Last edited by akshay4587 : 7th April 2014 at 15:01.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 15:20   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya_G View Post
So is it also faced by Quadrajets (Manza) and Fiat Punto (90HP), Linea etc?
I know atleast 3 car owners (1 Manza and 2 Vista) in my family facing this issue. They all stay at a place near Mangalore and the common reason given to them by Tata service centre is BS III diesel. My i20 CRDi has run atleast 15K km in the so called BS III diesel but it has never faced any issue. My cousin pointed out this to Tata for which they just gave blank expressions on their faces as the reply. They then told its due to bad quality diesel, bad driving techniques, etc. My relatives rejected all these theories and escalated the matter to Tata. After the escalation, one of the Vista's ECU has gone to Pune now. It's 2 weeks since they took the ECU and we are still waiting for a solid answer.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 7th April 2014 at 15:29.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 15:21   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Anurag;i own a Linea,and i come across this issue pretty often at times.
People have replaced turbo's;cleaned EGR' valves;intake manifolds and what not.But the issue persists.And yes,after restarting,engine behaves as if nothing happened.
I guess you seem to be offended here. Sorry but I didn't mean to hurt in any way! It was just on a light note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
And if we go by your suggestion;if there is a leak,why does car behave normally after re starting?
This is what is confusing me here!

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 17:47   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I know atleast 3 car owners (1 Manza and 2 Vista) in my family facing this issue. They all stay at a place near Mangalore and the common reason given to them by Tata service centre is BS III diesel. My i20 CRDi has run atleast 15K km in the so called BS III diesel but it has never faced any issue. My cousin pointed out this to Tata for which they just gave blank expressions on their faces as the reply. They then told its due to bad quality diesel, bad driving techniques, etc. My relatives rejected all these theories and escalated the matter to Tata. After the escalation, one of the Vista's ECU has gone to Pune now. It's 2 weeks since they took the ECU and we are still waiting for a solid answer.
I had this issue due to bad fuel. The symptoms were similar on my DDiS which suddenly seemed to lose power. Maruti A.S.S told the same bad fuels story to me which I didn't take that time, but after the next refuel from a different fuel station, the issue never appeared again. It's been over 2 years now.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 17:55   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I had this issue due to bad fuel. The symptoms were similar on my DDiS which suddenly seemed to lose power. Maruti A.S.S told the same bad fuels story to me which I didn't take that time, but after the next refuel from a different fuel station, the issue never appeared again. It's been over 2 years now.
We believed the bad fuel theory for the first time. But the issue remained even after filling diesel from different bunks. The issue has a mind of it's own on all the three cars. It can make its appearance any time and sometimes suddenly disappears. However with one Vista, it permanently stopped spooling turbo when the car had come to Bangalore. It was then a big escalation mail was written to Tata after which they have taken the ECU to Pune. They said the turbo is fine before taking the ECU. My cousin said even one of the Ritz near his place had this problem.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 23:30   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Ok - Thanks everyone! Will try a different fuel pump next time onwards. currently i refuel from the Indian Oil outlet near US Embassy in BKC which i thought was good. Hope the issue gets sorted out.
Ameya_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 17:10   #382
BHPian

I was thinking can a faulty fuel filter also be a culprit? Will replacing that help? Its due for a change in the next 2.5k kms.
Old 9th April 2014, 09:09   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking can a faulty fuel filter also be a culprit? Will replacing that help? Its due for a change in the next 2.5k kms.
Try changing the fuel station first and then see if the problem surfaces or again or no. If it does surface again then change the fuel filter.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 01:53   #384
Senior - BHPian

I have Ritz VDI(1 year old) and during last service, Service centre overfilled 3.1 litres instead of 2.9l engine oil. Car was driven for around 3500kms before I reported this to Maruti Auth. Service station. they drained excess oil. Now, the issue is turbo kicking up is not smooth, and pulling power seems less. turbo do kicks up at ~2000rpm, but it is noisy and lacks the earlier pull. Also, engine clatter is high(similar to tractor!). SA has said that oil was not found in intercooler while draining the excess oil. my car is nearing 20,000kms service and will want to fix this issue.

Last edited by deepclutch : 28th August 2014 at 01:59.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 11:41   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I have Ritz VDI(1 year old) and during last service, Service centre overfilled 3.1 litres instead of 2.9l engine oil. Car was driven for around 3500kms before I reported this to Maruti Auth. Service station. they drained excess oil. Now, the issue is turbo kicking up is not smooth, and pulling power seems less. turbo do kicks up at ~2000rpm, but it is noisy and lacks the earlier pull. Also, engine clatter is high(similar to tractor!). SA has said that oil was not found in intercooler while draining the excess oil. my car is nearing 20,000kms service and will want to fix this issue.
3.1 litres is the correct quantity to be filled and not 2.9 litres.

If you have turbo issues, ask MASS to plug-in the SDT and check the boost pressure the engine is attaining and accordingly you can find out the issue.

Even after this you feel no success then check the plumbing.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 12:34   #386
BBT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
3.1 l is the right amount if oil filter is also changed. If they didn't change the oil filter, then it would have been an overfilling issue. 2.9 l is to be filled if they aren't changing the oil filter.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 13:52   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check if the plumbing of the turbo and intercooler is ok and no leaks have cropped up.
Hello Jaggu , sorry to quote you on an old post:

I have been facing this issue :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-102.html (Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review)

Please see post number 1523 :

Your inputs will be highly useful.

Thanks for your time
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:25   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Try changing the fuel station first and then see if the problem surfaces or again or no. If it does surface again then change the fuel filter.

Anurag.
So during my last major service, i got the fuel and air filter changed post which i hvent faced the power loss issue yet.. However there seems to be an offshoot. Everytime i take the car above 100-110 kms, the spanner sign comes on and there seems to be a slight loss of puch in the engine/turbo. everything comes back to normal when the speed comes below 100. This also happens at lower speeds when i am climbing a flyover or slope with moderately hard acceleration. Any idea why? The service advisor at thanawala service center told me there were few oil patches on the turbo but not to worry. What should i look to get repaired/replaced to get rid of this problem? The car pulls beautifully in day to day city drives and speeds below 100. Its just that i dont want to ignore a problem which can be easily rectified now, instead of waiting for it to develop into a big expense later on.

Regards
Ameya
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:34   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However there seems to be an offshoot. Everytime i take the car above 100-110 kms, the spanner sign comes on and there seems to be a slight loss of puch in the engine/turbo. everything comes back to normal when the speed comes below 100. This also happens at lower speeds when i am climbing a flyover or slope with moderately hard acceleration. Any idea why?
Something definitely not right here. Ask your mech to connect the diagnostic tool and do the test drive to replicate the issue. Then find what error code is coming up, this should help you isolate the issue. How much as your car done till now? Just wondering if it is the EGR error.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:50   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Something definitely not right here. Ask your mech to connect the diagnostic tool and do the test drive to replicate the issue. Then find what error code is coming up, this should help you isolate the issue. How much as your car done till now? Just wondering if it is the EGR error.
Its done 50150 kms as of today. Last full (10000) service was done at 46500 kms with oil change (synthetic), fuel and air filter change.