Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:52   #391
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,476 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Ok border line but as suggested in my earlier post ask the technician to decode the error code. To me it seems like an EGR issue or turbo plumbing leak.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:14   #392
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 36
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ok border line but as suggested in my earlier post ask the technician to decode the error code. To me it seems like an EGR issue or turbo plumbing leak.
Ok.. let me check and revert. thanks for the inputs.
Ameya_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 15:35   #393
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 36
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Hi.. The car has gone in for EGR cleaning process today. The SA at vitesse shared some pictures of the choked turbo and the related plumbing. There was some oil leakage in the intercooler as well which is getting fixed. Hopefull the car would be back to its optimum performance today post delivery. Sharing a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-1430733906752.jpg  

Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-1430733920677.jpg  

Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-1430733933917.jpg  

Ameya_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 16:48   #394
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya_G View Post
Hi.. The car has gone in for EGR cleaning process today.
Just curious, is it the first time you are getting the EGR valve cleaned? With that kind of deposit seems like it is.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 16:55   #395
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,625
Thanked: 6,149 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

My Swift's FE seems to have dropped considerably. The car has done 75,000 kms and has been serviced regularly. I used to get about 18-19kmpl in the city but the latest figures show about 14-15kmpl which is a steep drop. What could be the cause for this? While efficiency figures are not burning a hole in my wallet, I believe there's something amiss with the engine that is causing this.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 16:55   #396
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 695
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
turbo plumbing leak.
Turbo plumbing leak is usually associated with black smoke.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 17:03   #397
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,476 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
My Swift's FE seems to have dropped considerably.
==== I believe there's something amiss with the engine that is causing this.
How is the clutch? 75k is time to check it.

ie if you are sure engine is running aok otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya_G View Post
Hi.. The car has gone in for EGR cleaning process today. ==== Sharing a couple of pics.
Fairly confident that it is the EGR error code, after seeing the way the system is clogged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Turbo plumbing leak is usually associated with black smoke.
Yes it should since it more fuel and less air; and in diesel engine it would result in smoke. Unless ECU intervene's. Minor leaks i am not very sure.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 17:07   #398
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
My Swift's FE seems to have dropped considerably. The car has done 75,000 kms and has been serviced regularly. I used to get about 18-19kmpl in the city but the latest figures show about 14-15kmpl which is a steep drop. What could be the cause for this? While efficiency figures are not burning a hole in my wallet, I believe there's something amiss with the engine that is causing this.
When was the air filter last cleaned/Replaced ? What about tyre pressure ?

I think the summers also add to the mileage drop. My Swift D has been giving me around 1.5 to 2 kmpl less too ever since the summers started as compared to normally what it gives.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 17:38   #399
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 36
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Just curious, is it the first time you are getting the EGR valve cleaned? With that kind of deposit seems like it is.
Yes. Apparently its the 1st time EGR cleaning is being done. The car feel much lighter and is breathing much better.
Ameya_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 08:23   #400
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,625
Thanked: 6,149 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How is the clutch? 75k is time to check it.

ie if you are sure engine is running aok otherwise.
Feels good. There is no play, pickup is just as same and I don't feel any slip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
When was the air filter last cleaned/Replaced ? What about tyre pressure ?

I think the summers also add to the mileage drop. My Swift D has been giving me around 1.5 to 2 kmpl less too ever since the summers started as compared to normally what it gives.
Airfilter was replaced 200kms ago. I always maintain 32 psi in the front and 30 psi in the rear tyres. This is checked every fortnight from the same pump where I fill diesel.

Could it be clogged injectors? Or an erroneous MAF sensor?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 09:45   #401
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 695
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Even mine has started giving low FE for the last one year. Earlier I used to get consistently 16-17 KMPL with 70% AC usage in the summer inside city. But it is now giving around 14-15 KMPL with same kind of usage. Everything checked and no fault is found.

But I have some issues with the turbo. May be that is the reason in my case. Also, the steering has become hard. There is no error code. Got the steering box overhauled by FNG twice without any effect. My car is 2007, 88K KM run. The new steering box in this model cost 27K .
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 10:01   #402
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Airfilter was replaced 200kms ago. I always maintain 32 psi in the front and 30 psi in the rear tyres. This is checked every fortnight from the same pump where I fill diesel.

Could it be clogged injectors? Or an erroneous MAF sensor?
Clogged injectors would show itself in the form of bad pickup too, which in your case as you said its fine.

Try upping the tyre pressure a bit, I run 185/70/R14 Michelins and I have 36 in the front and 34 at the rear.

Secondly, I really think its just the weather. Pune like Mumbai must be blistering now. Let the rains set in and if the mileage still does not improve, probably then we can diagnose further. I am saying this because even in my car the FE has dropped by 1.5 to 2 kilometers since the summers and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car even at 1 lakh 10 thousand kilometers.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 10:07   #403
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Moral, did you also change the fuel filter recently ? In one of my services, it was changed and there was a leakage detected when the FE dropped all of a sudden. Filter replaced and FE was back to normal.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 10:13   #404
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,625
Thanked: 6,149 Times
Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Moral, did you also change the fuel filter recently ? In one of my services, it was changed and there was a leakage detected when the FE dropped all of a sudden. Filter replaced and FE was back to normal.
Yes the fuel filter was changed during service. Will check it for leaks.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 10:34   #405
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Yes the fuel filter was changed during service. Will check it for leaks.
Get the MAF cleaned once just to rule it out when in doubt.

Can you get the brakes checked if they are rotating freely without binding any wheel?

Any suspicion towards wheel bearings?
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
economy diesel duel: Maruti Ritz DDiS vs Suzuki Swift DDis vs Vista quadrajet aura. s_pphilip Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 29th October 2009 09:43
Swift DDiS vs Ritz DDiS vs iKool ? anoovis Hatchbacks 1 21st October 2009 13:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks