Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th May 2015, 10:42   #406
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Get the MAF cleaned once just to rule it out when in doubt.

Can you get the brakes checked if they are rotating freely without binding any wheel?

Any suspicion towards wheel bearings?
Yes the brakes are rotating freely. I would catch that quite easily if there was any issue with the wheel rotation or jamming of brakes. Here's how the mileage has dropped over the last 6 months:

Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-1st.jpg

Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-2nd.jpg

Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-3rd.jpg

Our usage has dropped as well. The car sits idle for most of the day and is used for say 20-30 kms at the most per week. Early on we had about 30-40 kms on it every day.

Perhaps some Italian tuneup could help?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 11:30   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Yes the brakes are rotating freely. I would catch that quite easily if there was any issue with the wheel rotation or jamming of brakes. Here's how the mileage has dropped over the last 6 months:

Our usage has dropped as well. The car sits idle for most of the day and is used for say 20-30 kms at the most per week. Early on we had about 30-40 kms on it every day.

Perhaps some Italian tuneup could help?
No harm in doing an Italian tune up!

BTW, which App is that your using to keep track of data?
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 00:14   #408
BHPian

My Sx4 has clocked 39 k. From past couple of days I have been hearing turbo whine once the car passes 2000 rpm mark. I have also witnessed black smoke only under heavy acceleration.

The car has always been serviced at MASS and strictly follow one minute idling rule. Any idea what could be the root cause?
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 14:10   #409
BBT
BHPian

Have been quiet for quite some time as was travelling a lot for work and didn't give my DDiS as much attention as I should have. My wife was using it for the last 8-9 months and as expected was ignoring the signs of it needing a service.

I felt that the turbo boost was really down when I drove it last time around and gave it to the MASS for service as well as an EGR and intercooler clean up. They kept the car for 3 days and gave it back saying there was some clip loose between the intercooler and turbo which has been replaced. I thought the problem should be resolved and drove back home a happy camper. Was a short 2 km drive so didn't really put it to the test as engine was cold. Next day morning, warmed it up and tried to enjoy a bit of spirited driving but the engine just refused to go. It felt like a naturally aspirated engine and I was very, very cross. I got home and checked the oil level and, lo and behold, it was way above max. Went straight back to the service center and got it drained. They were able to get about 3.4 litres out of it, so I assume they overfilled it to 3.5 litres. After filling back 3 litres of oil, I got them to hook up the Suzuki SDT machine to the OBD port and checked the boost pressure reading; It was a constant 94 kPa from 800 rpm all the way to 3000 rpm and only then moved up to about 112-114 kPa at around 3500 rpm. After revving it a few times, the pressure figures increased considerably. After 4/5 revving sessions it was up to 120 kPa @3000 rpm (The correct pressure should be 132 kPa @3000 rpm in neutral as per the service manual). I made my way out of the service center (With a promise to not return there again) and the car has been driving much better ever since. I will do an Italian tune up on my next long drive and hope for the best.

Just wanted to share my experience and let my fellow DDiS owners know that they should keep a keen eye on the oil level in their car whenever they get their car serviced or when the feel a drop in turbo performance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the excess oil hasn't been sucked into the intercooler/ turbo.

For those in Pune, the service center in question was Maruti Care Point on Baner road.

Last edited by BBT : 21st September 2015 at 14:29. Reason: Correcting a typo.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 20:13   #410
BHPian

Hey folks. I have a 2010 September Swift vdi abs. Clocked 1.02L km till now. After doing the 1L KM service @ 99.5K km in MASS (Vishnu Maruti - Pallavaram, Chennai), everything was nice till I reached 1.01L km. Last 3 weeks, I started missing the promising kick of turbo at around 1850 - 1950 rpm which usually be there till I gave it for 1L km service. Of-course I was sleepless due to this. Went to MASS (Vishnu Maruti - Mylapore, Chennai) and told this to the SA. He said that after 1L km, the turbo will start to become weak (I don't know what exactly that means, may be that is to be told to a non Team-BHPian to believe that ). I asked him what to do now and how can it suddenly happen after 1L km. He suggested for an EGR valve cleaning which was done 4 months back, 2.5k km before and an intercooler cleaning (both were in the 1L km service bill but with cost as Rs.0 - may be not done and entered in bill as if it was a discount to me?). I said to proceed with that and they did the EGR valve cleaning and intercooler cleaning (Total bill for these 2 work: Rs.6414) and when giving the car back to me, they said that now it is better but still I need to understand that fact that my car is aging on overall run mileage as it crossed 1L km and hence I cannot expect it to be as when it was brand new. Actually, the job was fantastic, now it is really back to how it was, as usual, how it has ever been, like the brand new effect and she just takes off post 1850 to 1900 rpm. The moment I drove her out of the MASS, I was able to feel the difference SOO MUCH. It was awesomeness

They have suggested for a timing chain, engine bed, latch and so on as a group of items to be replaces so that the engine bed noise will go down and it will be as new as she was on day one, for the next 1L km and estimated cost for that is Rs. 17k. I'll do that if my plan of changing my white beauty gets dropped soon.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th April 2016 at 20:34. Reason: Additional smileys deleted. Spell-check.
satish_tns is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 10:31   #411
BHPian

My Swift was back from 60K service and now the turbo performance is not upto mark That kick at 1900-2000 rpm is completely missing. I checked and there is no smoke coming from the back.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 10:47   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
My Swift was back from 60K service and now the turbo performance is not upto mark. That kick at 1900-2000 rpm is completely missing. I checked and there is no smoke coming from the back.
Is it missing totally or the boost is delayed? I mean initially it uses to spool between 1900 - 2000. Is it now spooling near ~2500 rpm?

Can you hook an OBD reader 'if' in case yours is post 2009 model to see what is the boost it is developing? Or else ask MASS to plug their SDT for readings.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th May 2016 at 10:48.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 11:17   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Is it missing totally or the boost is delayed? I mean initially it uses to spool between 1900 - 2000. Is it now spooling near ~2500 rpm?

Can you hook an OBD reader 'if' in case yours is post 2009 model to see what is the boost it is developing? Or else ask MASS to plug their SDT for readings.
Not totally missing, it's delayed. On 2nd gear I get a push around 2500. Car is 2010 but OBD won't work, have tried with that. I remember having the same issue post 40k service and it was back to normal after around 500km or so. So I am planning to wait for a few hundred kms and then give a visit to MASS. I can't notice any thick smoke, so I guess it's not over filling of oil. Another possibility is a clogged intercooler. However, I am wondering why it was perfectly OK before 60k service. It's really not at all fun driving Swift without that promising kick. Another thing is there is a sudden variation in power delivery around 1200 rpm which I guess is due to EGR, however it was not that prominent either before the service.
Old 9th May 2016, 11:20   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Not totally missing, it's delayed. On 2nd gear I get a push around 2500. Car is 2010 but OBD won't work, have tried with that. I remember having the same issue post 40k service and it was back to normal after around 500km or so. So I am planning to wait for a few hundred kms and then give a visit to MASS. I can't notice any thick smoke, so I guess it's not over filling of oil. Another possibility is a clogged intercooler. However, I am wondering why it was perfectly OK before 60k service.
Have you checked the plumbing and any leaks? Hope your clutch is doing good currently?

Can you post a picture of the bill for the 60K service?

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th May 2016 at 11:24.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 12:42   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked the plumbing and any leaks? Hope your clutch is doing good currently?

Can you post a picture of the bill for the 60K service?
Gave a visit to MASS today and apparently it was oil build up in inter cooler. I don't understand why the issue never came up before the service, the SA never gave a convincing answer to that. They insist oil filter was changed during the process and the oil quantity on invoice is 3.1L which is correct when oil filter is also changed.
Old 11th May 2016, 13:56   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They insist oil filter was changed during the process and the oil quantity on invoice is 3.1L which is correct when oil filter is also changed.
They never checked earlier. It was just old oil out, new oil in. Old oil filter out and new oil filter in. Intercooler etc take near about 5 hours to do the job of opening the bumper, dismantling, cleaning and refitting. Do you think they'll have that patience and time to do it in reality?

I have done a DIY for intercooler cleaning. Do check.

Good that the root cause is found. How does she feel now? How much were you charged?
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 17:11   #417
BHPian

Quote:
They never checked earlier. It was just old oil out, new oil in. Old oil filter out and new oil filter in. Intercooler etc take near about 5 hours to do the job of opening the bumper, dismantling, cleaning and refitting. Do you think they'll have that patience and time to do it in reality?

I have done a DIY for intercooler cleaning. Do check.

Good that the root cause is found. How does she feel now? How much were you charged?
No, they didn't check the intercooler. I was firing at them that they overfilled oil which they promptly disagreed. Also, found yesterday that my brand new wiper blades were swapped for some old stuff during the service. How can such carelessness happen from an ASS. Gave them a mouthful for mishandling the vehicle. They didn't charge me for the intercooler cleaning.
Old 11th November 2016, 13:12   #418

As luck would have it, I had a free checkup coupon which was going to expire on 14th Nov. Also, I was planing a road trip to Jaisalmer next week with my Dzire. So, I went to PASCO Gurgaon to avail it. I explicitly mentioned to SA that I service my car outside and since this is a checkup, I would like to know about the health of car in general and any issues should be reported. The SA asked me not to worry and said that car will be ready in 1 hour. I got a message after 2 hours about the car being ready. I reached PASCO and asked the SA about any findings on check-up. He said the car is in perfect condition.

Now, the real thing starts to unfold. I asked the SA to open the bonnet. He promptly did that and I saw a perfectly washed and clean engine bay. Now, every other person would be happy and think to himself that they have really done the work. But, I know these guys. I asked him to check the Engine oil level. He happily did that, only to see that there was no engine oil. I asked him to bring in the mechanic who checked my car up. He came and again checked the oil level, again nothing. I asked him why it was not reported? He said he didn't checked this car. On further questioning I found out that my car was directly sent to washing and that's it. I lost my cool and demanded to see the manager. On his intervention car was again taking to workshop area and attended properly. Even the brake oil was less, they topped it up. The air filter was almost chocked, got it replaced.

Now when handing over the car to SA in morning I told him about the intermittent white smoke from tail pipe and asked him to tell me the reason for it. Earlier he told me that car is in perfect condition. But now, everything changed and told me "Engine Overhauling" is needed. Estimated of around 80,000 to 1,00,000 INR. I asked them to top up the engine oil so that I can reach my mechanic, which they did but with some Old Engine oil from other car.

Reached my mechanic and told him about the problem, he checked the car and told me the problem is Turbo related. He told me that since tailpipe is still not spewing oil, it can work a few thousand Kms more. I also told him that there was no Engine Oil in car, and the engine oil he is seeing was topped off with waste oil. Then he opened the turbo hose, still no trace of oil in there too (AFAIK oil should be there in turbo hose if its bad??). He said, the problem is definitely turbo related and Engine is sounding perfect. He also added, that you may see oil from tail pipe in next 1000-5000 Kms. I asked him to do what ever is needed. Went to "ALVA auto Spares", the chain dealing in original MGP. Paid 14,320 INR after discount for turbo and came back home. Waiting for getting my car back today.

Experts, please share your thoughts on If it was indeed a turbo issue? Or would require some work in Engine as well. Or what should I ask him to check other than Turbo? I already asked him to clean the inter-cooler.

PS: It was the free coupon that saved my Engine. Otherwise, I would have taken it to Road trip and God knows what would have happened to it without any Engine oil.
2W-4W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 13:24   #419
Team-BHP Support

Rather difficult to pin point, without doing some checks. If the intercooler and pipe are not wet with oil, then where is the so called white puff of smoke coming from?

Is there any way by which you can replicate this issue? When was the engine oil replaced and how much kilometer has the car done after that?

Anyways now since you have done the turbo replacement, i would suggest you to do a refill of engine oil also, after a complete drain / flush if possible along with filter replacement. Fill the prescribed quantity of oil and observe oil levels for couple of hundred kilometer. If there is not drastic drop in level, it is all fine.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 13:46   #420

Rather difficult to pin point, without doing some checks. If the intercooler and pipe are not wet with oil, then where is the so called white puff of smoke coming from?

Nope they were not wet with oil, but there was some soot and grease kind of mixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Is there any way by which you can replicate this issue? When was the engine oil replaced and how much kilometer has the car done after that?
No, I can not replicate this because car is in workshop as I am writing this. Engine was serviced and oiled at 91000 and now ODO reading is 96121.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Anyways now since you have done the turbo replacement, i would suggest you to do a refill of engine oil also, after a complete drain / flush if possible along with filter replacement. Fill the prescribed quantity of oil and observe oil levels for couple of hundred kilometer. If there is not drastic drop in level, it is all fine.
Yes, Jaggu. Already asked the garage to do the full service including oil filter, diesel filter, engine oil et al. Also, do we need to keep a check on that Right foot after turbo replacement? Asking this because I will go on a road trip to Rajasthan next week and roads there are straight out of F1 track
2W-4W is offline   Reply With Quote