Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th May 2009, 12:40   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Had the same problem with my 2007 vdi, and if i remember correctly. maruti had reprogrammed the ecu once and replaced it with a new one the second time around.
Did the new ECU resolve the Turbo Whoosh issue?
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:37   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
I got my 3rd service done over the weekend and was thoroughly disappointed to note that the turbo "kick" was all but gone post the service. Tush and I met up after this service and test drove each other's cars (his having done almost 5K Kms and just coming up on 2nd service and mine over 10K and completed 3rd Service) Surprisingly, I found that the behaviour of both cars with regard to the "turbo boost' was quite similar, although in his car the delay was even more and the car seemed to move forward rapidly at around 2200 - 2300 rpm. In my car, the whoosh was all but gone although the car seemed to be very responsive at around the 3000 rpm mark.
I went for a somewhat long drive into the Shayadris on Sunday and did notice that the turbo was working a lot better than after the service but again, the punch was coming up only post 2200 or 2300 rpm.
Overall, I feel it's running okay, unfortunately the vicious "pull" that I used to enjoy in almost every gear up to the 10K Kms mark is completely missing (except for at around 2600 rpm in 2nd gear when the car still goes a little berzerk).
No idea what to ask the service center to check.
On another related point, in the 3rd Service, I found that the Service Station filled in 10W30 oil in my car - the grade was mentioned as Maruti recommended in the manual. Will the changed viscosity have anything to do with the loss of turbo whoosh?
Yeah it was good to meet a fellow Bhpian and do some analysis on each others car

BBT has the turbo performance at least reached similar to my car?

Friends my car has almost done 4700Km and is due for second service. From the very first day i have noticed my DDIS is not giving the turbo boost as i was getting from my first DDIS. However i was convinced that there is nothing wrong when MASS gave me a 2500Km done DDIS for test drive when my car had done just 800KM. It had similar turbo boost as my car. However i suspect that car to have come to the service station for the same problem as i over heard the MASS employee calling the service advisor saying that there is a similar case comeup when i had gone to MASS for this issue. When i questioned him has someone else got the same issue here. He said "nahi nahi woh kuch aur baat kar raha tha mein". And apparantly i believe they gave me the same Swift DDIS which could have come for the same problem. Otherwise who would give the car for service at 2500Km on ODO.

So finally the point boils down to. What should i ask them to check during my second service. Because based on BBTs experience i assume that whatever minor boost i am getting right now will go off after the second service is done.

I have gone through the complete thread. There is a similar thread opened by me long back. But if anyone can put up in simple terms what i need to ask them to check during the second service would be appreciated

Thanks.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 15:05   #108
Team-BHP Support

You can ask them to check all parameters using Tech 2 but i understand that its pretty good at hiding this problem (if its there).

Good idea would be to make your SA take a drive with you before and after the service. Then ensure you take a drive afterwards and ensure the pull is there, before accepting the car.

Make sure they use Mobil oil or any CI rated ones and fill the right quantity, this will make a hell lot of difference in a normal car.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 17:45   #109
Senior - BHPian

I hope Maruti is listening to all this. I ve seen almost all DDIS owners here minus jaggu and me who are complaining about the turbo pull going down/non existant or at a higher rpm.

Would it not be a good idea to forward this thread to maruti indias e-mail address including the people at higher managments ?

This car minus the turbo pull is not worth it IMO. One of the main USP's!

tush@ Why dont u approach the regional manager, with emails to the higher ups along with phone calls ?

If you are coming down to mumbai anytime, PM me. Would love to meet you and check out each other cars!
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 18:05   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I hope Maruti is listening to all this. I ve seen almost all DDIS owners here minus jaggu and me who are complaining about the turbo pull going down/non existant or at a higher rpm.
Hi Rohan,
Did the ECU reset today morning but to no avail . The lag is still there. As discussed would show it to my friendly mechanic before going to MASS. I am planning a Saturday trip to my MASS to show him my car. Lets see what they have to tell.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 19:14   #111
Senior - BHPian

I'm out of station over the next couple of weekends and will drop you a note to you when im back and available. Meanwhile, if you want to get your boost pressure readings checked PM me and i shall provide you the details of the contact person in chennai (CARS India, Kotivakkam branch). The ideal values are posted by ripper earlier in this thread. If i remember it right, it should be around 210 Kpa, 3rd gear @2000 RPM.

On a seperate note, i reported the very same issue that you had described during my 10k service, only to find out whatever delayed boost it had earlier was totally gone post service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post

I would love to meet up to do some back-to-back testing mate.
Think we are facing similar issues.

My friend has got a 4k kms MINT Vdi with no Turbo issues .. So we can get a clearer picture ?!

Cheers !
Initially i was under the impression that may be mine was an isolated incident and never thought this could be a problem. There were also a few comments stating that the feeling is "psychological", however with many people echoing the same thoughts on this thread, i dont think this is either psychological or just a perception. I'm lost as to how to take this forward from here, as the tech2 seems to indicate the numbers are normal for a DDIS, but you dont feel any difference in acceleration when the turbo kicks in. Infact even without looking at the tacho you can make out when the vehicle crosses 2k RPM but now it is no more possible and the acceleration is more linear. My another unanswered question is, if this is not really a problem, why did the turbo effect diminsh with time? Though the car doesnt feel any slower, this has taken away the fun to drive quotient of this car.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 20:53   #112
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can ask them to check all parameters using Tech 2 but i understand that its pretty good at hiding this problem (if its there).

Good idea would be to make your SA take a drive with you before and after the service. Then ensure you take a drive afterwards and ensure the pull is there, before accepting the car.

Make sure they use Mobil oil or any CI rated ones and fill the right quantity, this will make a hell lot of difference in a normal car.
About the tech2 hiding the problem- It doesnt. i'm guilty of creating that impression in some of my earlier posts. it was ignorance on my part and the MASS techies' part that, we werent able to interpret the readings correctly.

The tech 2 can tell you if the turbo is producing less boost.
put the car in 3rd gear, take it to 1600rpm, floor the accelerator, when the tacho gets to 2000 rpm the boost reading should be 210kpa roughly.

NOTE
boost will peak only during full throttle acceleration.
so holding the rpm steady at 2000rpm will not show any boost.

+1 to getting the SA ride with you before and after the service.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 23:56   #113
BBT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Yeah it was good to meet a fellow Bhpian and do some analysis on each others car

BBT has the turbo performance at least reached similar to my car?

So finally the point boils down to. What should i ask them to check during my second service. Because based on BBTs experience i assume that whatever minor boost i am getting right now will go off after the second service is done.

I have gone through the complete thread. There is a similar thread opened by me long back. But if anyone can put up in simple terms what i need to ask them to check during the second service would be appreciated

Thanks.
As mentioned earlier, I did a decent amount of driving post the 10K service (The Odo is at 10600 Kms .. 550 kms in 2 days ) and I'm happy to note that the turbo boost is definitely back.. not in the same "hang on to the steering wheel or you'll be left behind" way - but I can feel the car surging forward at around 2100 rpm in almost all the gears.. I also noticed that the surge is a little more when the car is cool. As far as the oil goes, I haven't noticed a large difference in the NVH levels and it desn't seem to be any more or less free revving than it was on the earlier 15W40 brew.

To sum it up - yes, I did notice a drastic drop in the turbo boost post the service but a couple of long drives coupled with some hard city driving (only at night with hardly any traffic ) I seem to have recovered a bit of the turbo boost.

@ Tush - I definitely feel that you should come over for another drive of the car whenever you have the time - I feel that my DDiS is pulling more than your car was when we met up over the weekend and the boost is coming in at around 2000-2100 rpm which in your case was delayed by about a 100-200 rpm (although I still suspect a difference in the calibration of the tachometer -well confirm the same by checking the speeds at same rpm and same gear for our respective vehicles when we meet up next).
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 07:34   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
On a seperate note, i reported the very same issue that you had described during my 10k service, only to find out whatever delayed boost it had earlier was totally gone post service.

I did'nt have any turbo issues at my 10k service, but at around 12k kms I started noticing that the boost was getting delayed and now it started at 2200 RPM. But the 'wooosh ' was definitely there and more sudden and violent than before .
I cleaned my air filter yesterday, and iam happy to report that the thrust is back at 2000 RPM !! THe air filter was very dirty and had a lot of stones and dirt .

@Bala: Did you try cleaning your air filter ? Makes a noticeable difference !

@BBT -
The engine performs best early morning and late nights, I think its got something to do with the ambient temperature & cool air being more dense etc etc....
vibhu_f430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 10:29   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
I cleaned my air filter yesterday, and iam happy to report that the thrust is back at 2000 RPM !! THe air filter was very dirty and had a lot of stones and dirt .
This is the first thing one needs to check, though mul says 20k replacement, if you dont mind spending 300 odd bucks, replace it at 10k itself.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 18:13   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
About the tech2 hiding the problem- It doesnt. i'm guilty of creating that impression in some of my earlier posts. it was ignorance on my part and the MASS techies' part that, we werent able to interpret the readings correctly.

The tech 2 can tell you if the turbo is producing less boost.
put the car in 3rd gear, take it to 1600rpm, floor the accelerator, when the tacho gets to 2000 rpm the boost reading should be 210kpa roughly.
Lets hope thats the real case with Tech 2. Regarding 210Kpa, its for 3rd gear acceleration. What about 2nd gear which is where we all go crazy about the turbo boost at 2000rpm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can ask them to check all parameters using Tech 2 but I understand that its pretty good at hiding this problem (if its there).

Thanks for the advise Jaggu. Yes, Tech 2 is the initial begining to start diagnosing this problem. During my very first complain at 800Km I had insisted the SA to drive my car which he did. He said there is nothing wrong with it. But I understand what you are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Would it not be a good idea to forward this thread to maruti indias e-mail address including the people at higher managments ?

This car minus the turbo pull is not worth it IMO. One of the main USP's!

tush@ Why dont u approach the regional manager, with emails to the higher ups along with phone calls ?

If you are coming down to mumbai anytime, PM me. Would love to meet you and check out each other cars!
I need to go through proper channels step by step. I am confident that Maruti would get this issue resolved once it goes to MASS. Patience would be the key instead of hurriedly contacting the higher authority now itself. Lets see what MASS has to say about this issue now when i give my car and if they accept the issue and lead it to a resolution then that would be honoured or else would need to do what you said.

Thanks, I will PM you if I happen to come to Mumbai.

Quote:
@ Tush - I definitely feel that you should come over for another drive of the car whenever you have the time - I feel that my DDiS is pulling more than your car was when we met up over the weekend and the boost is coming in at around 2000-2100 rpm which in your case was delayed by about a 100-200 rpm (although I still suspect a difference in the calibration of the tachometer -well confirm the same by checking the speeds at same rpm and same gear for our respective vehicles when we meet up next).
Good that your car has regained the boost. Thanks, Yes I will take another test drive of your car. Would let you know about it. Regarding Techo meter calibration issue I have always noticed that during Idle it shows the correct RPM as it was showing for my first DDIS. So if Idle is correct I don't suspect calibration to be a problem. But its a valid point that you brought up and I will keep that in mind when I go to MASS.

Last edited by tush : 13th May 2009 at 18:16.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 19:25   #117
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Lets hope thats the real case with Tech 2. Regarding 210Kpa, its for 3rd gear acceleration. What about 2nd gear which is where we all go crazy about the turbo boost at 2000rpm?
2nd gear boost comes later than 2000rpm, not sure of the exact rpm, mine comes on at 2300rpm in 2nd..
3rd, 4th and 5th all come on strong at 2000rpm.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 00:43   #118
BBT
BHPian

Turbo issues are back (it seems a few days of city driving makes the DDiS a bit moody). I was really irritated with the sluggishness and as soon as I got back from the office, I opened up the air filter and cleaned it up - lots of dust and a few leaves - didn't have a vacuum cleaner handy so used my only other source of pressurised air (read huffing and puffing with my smoking impaired lungs).
After this exercise the car seemed to breathe a little easier (low end seemed to have improved) although there was little or no difference in the turbo boost. Also - I cross checked the engine oil from the previous service invoices and found that 10W30 is significantly cheaper than 15W40 (about 170 per litre vs. 210 per litre), in addition, I have been consistently charged for engine oil additive in all 3 oil changes to the tune of about Rs. 440 for 1 unit (I'm guessing this 1 unit is an insignificant amount considering the oil put in is 3.1 ltrs which is the max that should go in) any ideas on the usefulness of the additive coz I plan to get the 10W30 oil drained out and replaced with 15W40 over the weekend and want to know if I can do without the gloriously expensive additive.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 09:25   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turbo issues are back (it seems a few days of city driving makes the DDiS a bit moody). I was really irritated with the sluggishness and as soon as I got back from the office, I opened up the air filter and cleaned it up - lots of dust and a few leaves - didn't have a vacuum cleaner handy so used my only other source of pressurised air (read huffing and puffing with my smoking impaired lungs).
After this exercise the car seemed to breathe a little easier (low end seemed to have improved) although there was little or no difference in the turbo boost. Also - I cross checked the engine oil from the previous service invoices and found that 10W30 is significantly cheaper than 15W40 (about 170 per litre vs. 210 per litre), in addition, I have been consistently charged for engine oil additive in all 3 oil changes to the tune of about Rs. 440 for 1 unit (I'm guessing this 1 unit is an insignificant amount considering the oil put in is 3.1 ltrs which is the max that should go in) any ideas on the usefulness of the additive coz I plan to get the 10W30 oil drained out and replaced with 15W40 over the weekend and want to know if I can do without the gloriously expensive additive.
Off course bro, chuck the additive by all means! Not necessary at all!
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 09:56   #120
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have a feeling that the Swift turbo may be detuned / boost reduced over the service. This could be to lengthen its life or that it's proved too delicate for our kind of use. Can you guys do a 0 – 100 of a regular Swift versus a detuned one and post up the results?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote