Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th May 2009, 21:56   #1

Default Help needed with Indica fuel pump

Hi,

I had poor pickup with Indica (2004 model, 48k kms on the odo) for quite some time now. I tried to get it fixed 2-3 times - without much success. TASC guys have tried general things like CatCon cleaning, RPM adjustment, anti-stalling adjustment etc. All that did not last too long - problem came back within few weeks. I took the car to TASC today and told him the story. Service advisor told this poor pickup problem surfaces in Indicas when the temperature is high (summer time). He told it happens when there is some problem with fuel pump. He told they will send the fuel pump to TVS Lucas for servicing. It takes 4-5 days and costs 12000 Rs. This is very much concerning for me because something similar was done when the car was under warranty - it seems to have failed in 2-3 years again. I need suggestions from the community:

1. Generally how long the fuel pump lasts (expected life time)? Am I having a defective pump from birth which makes it fail frequently?

2. Fuel pump service does not seem to provide a long term solution. Do you think it is worth spending 12000 Rs on this now OR should I change the whole fuel pump itself? (to get rid of this possibly defective pump) I don't even know whether it is possible to change the whole fuel pump. If it can be done any idea of how much poor will I be at the end of that?

Thanks for the help.
RaviH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 23:48   #2
BANNED

Few Years back, i had similar problem with my Old indica Diesel. After lot of Trail and error (Car was with Pandit Auto, Pune for 15 days), they told me about fuel pump recalibration and servicing.

However, as per my best knowledge, it was around 6-6.5K as most of fittings/packing are changed etc. provided there is no major part damage.

New pumps are costly and in indica , mostly Lucas parts is used IMO.

Just wanted to share my experience. It might be of some help.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 07:26   #3

I remember the previous (under warranty) fuel pump servicing/recalibration costed around 7k. That was done by Pandit Auto. Now BU Bhandari is saying it will cost 12k - it looks very high. I will try with Pandit and see what the guy says. Hopefully he will save my pocket from the disaster!

However, my real concern at this time is frequency of this problem. If the fuel pump problem occurs at this frequency and costs so much it will end up in very high maintenance cost. In that case probably it does not make much sense to keep this car.
Old 8th May 2009, 07:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

are there any lucas TVS service centers in your area? maybe you can get it done directly by them
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 07:53   #5

greenhorn - good suggestion. I know where the TVS Lucas service station is. Do they take out the pump from the car and service it or should I get the pump disconnected from a mechanic and take it to TVS Lucas? Any BHPian who has done it this way - please share your experience.
Old 8th May 2009, 08:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Your complaint is with poor pickup, and not with erratic idling or missing engine on acceleration. IMHO it is most likely not a fuel pump related issue, which you've been told would cost 12k.

Commonest reason for Indicas losing pickup is a choked EGR valve/faulty solenoid. Were these checked out? And were the injectors cleaned? Have you used a proprietory fuel line cleaner like System D?

Do this before considering opening the pump at all. It's like open heart surgery for the fuel system.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 11:40   #7
BHPian

I would definitely suggest what SS-Traveller has proposed to do first rather than immediately touching Fuel Pump.

If that does not resolve the pick up issue, my suggestion is to check Clutch as well. While 48K is pretty less for a clutch issue, suggest to get it checked.

Checking Pump with TVS Lucas directly is better idea than to give it to A*S*S. From my experience with Lucas for alternator, I took my car in the morning to them. They called a near by mechanic to get the alternator out. Serviced it. Same guy put it back in the evening. This was at their Neeta towers opposite Sandvick Asia on Old Mumbai Pune road.

There's Lucas authorized centre on Karve road opposite Garware College towards deccan side.

takecare and drive safely
rkavthekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 11:48   #8
BANNED

Go directly to Lucas if you have an issue with a Lucas component.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 16:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
I would definitely suggest what SS-Traveller has proposed to do first rather than immediately touching Fuel Pump.

If that does not resolve the pick up issue, my suggestion is to check Clutch as well. While 48K is pretty less for a clutch issue, suggest to get it checked.

Checking Pump with TVS Lucas directly is better idea than to give it to A*S*S. From my experience with Lucas for alternator, I took my car in the morning to them. They called a near by mechanic to get the alternator out. Serviced it. Same guy put it back in the evening. This was at their Neeta towers opposite Sandvick Asia on Old Mumbai Pune road.

There's Lucas authorized centre on Karve road opposite Garware College towards deccan side.

takecare and drive safely
Thank you both SS-Traveller and Rajesh for the suggestion. I have decided to pour System-D for next couple of fillings and observe. Hopefully System-D will do some magic and that will improve the situation. If it fails, I will go to Karve road TVS Lucas.
Old 8th May 2009, 17:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviH View Post
I have decided to pour System-D for next couple of fillings and observe.
Also remove the EGR valve solenoid from the fuse box, and test run the car. If it suddenly feels peppy, you've got a choked EGR valve issue. And take the engine to the redline in low gear a few times to clear the fuel lines and exhaust deposits.
Old 8th May 2009, 17:44   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
are there any lucas TVS service centers in your area? maybe you can get it done directly by them
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Go directly to Lucas if you have an issue with a Lucas component.
Good Suggestion. I can recall, TASP charging me 1900/- for a Injector where in it was available for 1200 directly @ lucas.

Not to mention, i paid them 1200 ! ( Did Con Call between Lucas and Floor manager from TASP)
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 09:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Also remove the EGR valve solenoid from the fuse box, and test run the car. If it suddenly feels peppy, you've got a choked EGR valve issue. And take the engine to the redline in low gear a few times to clear the fuel lines and exhaust deposits.
These TASC guys are horrible. Guess what - TASC had disconnected the EGR system when I took the car to them last week with pickup complaint and the best part is they did not tell me anything about it . I found it when I looked under the hood to try the EGR disconnecting suggestion from SS-Traveller. I noticed a green colored connector in front of the engine block hanging free. Its inside was looking clean - indicating it was pulled out recently. I called the service advisor who did this work and he says he disconnected EGR to improve pickup and it will be connected after the fuel pump work is done. I did not want to go back to this destructor TASC to get it connected. I connected it myself since it is just a connector pulled out. But I did not notice any difference at all after connecting it (I am sure I have not connected it the wrong way because it is a notched connector to avoid the possibility of reverse connection). Now I don't know whether this EGR thing is working or not - whether this moron TASC guy has disconnected/removed something else also. Hope he did not remove the whole EGR thing. It may be too much thinking on my part. But how do I know now - any way TASC guys don't tell me about these junk things they do until I find out and question them.

Whatever it is - I decided to try the simple remedies first. Yesterday I poured in 30 ml System-D (as per instructions on the bottle 1ml per litre of diesel) and filled full tank (30 litres). Looks like there is some minor improvement (may be purely psychological improvement but I like that). Now I very strongly believe System-D will do something good. I will report back in few weeks when I see some difference - positive or negative.
Old 10th May 2009, 20:54   #13

First signs of fuel pump going bad - Turn the key to IGNITION. This is where your fuel pump should kick in. Start the car. If you can hear a light buzzing sound, try turning your lights on and off after intervals. You might hear its pitch go low and high. If thats the case, ur pump IS going bad. Otherwise, no. Fuel pumps usually make a whining sound before they go bad. Try looking for an aftermarket one. We use Warlbro 255 lph pumps and only cost us $100 with the installation KIT. Im sure u'll find something out there!

Best of Luck!
MBG_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 00:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBG_Evo View Post
First signs of fuel pump going bad - Turn the key to IGNITION. This is where your fuel pump should kick in. Start the car. If you can hear a light buzzing sound, try turning your lights on and off after intervals.
Ravi was referring to the high-pressure diesel pump that sends fuel to the injectors. You are referring to the low-pressure fuel pump which sends fuel from the tank to the engine.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Ravi was referring to the high-pressure diesel pump that sends fuel to the injectors. You are referring to the low-pressure fuel pump which sends fuel from the tank to the engine.
Indica gets 2 different pumps??

What I spoke about was the 255 lph, which is a high pressure pump. Sorry about the confusion!
MBG_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote