Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st June 2005, 20:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question "welding" sound

Well for the past few days, whenever i try to hit 60kmph in 3rd gear, their is a very mild sound coming from the engine like what we hear when something is welded/or the "Fooljhari" used in Diwali festival ....

Has anybody else noticed something like that ever??....
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2005, 21:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

dude,
what are u waiting for.take the car to a MASS as soon as possible.and then do let us know
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 00:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Seems like engine knocking to me, did u get petrol filled up from an unfamiliar place the last time? Most probable reason is adultrated low quality fuel. Get a fresh tank of fuel and see if it goes away otherwise bring it over to the workshop

Cheers
Arush
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

I used to get this "welding/sparking" sound. Got it checked and the origin was AC circuit. There was a wire loose and every time the AC would come out of cutout there used to be some sparking. Its still only partially fixed but whenever i take it to workshop it never comes. So have been living with it for 2 years
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Its still only partially fixed but whenever i take it to workshop it never comes. So have been living with it for 2 years
Its funny how vehicles 'seem' to behave themselves when you take them to the workshop. Also very embarassing, as you try to explain the sound (making the noises !!!) to the bemused mechanic...

I've had this experience so many times, but my car is usually parked in my apartment next to the Hyundai service centre and almost all the guys there know about my issues with 'noises' which dont seem to exist...had the last laugh once when one of those 'noises' turned into a worn suspension bush after 4 months. I gleefully said "I TOLD YOU SO"
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 12:19   #6
BHPian

True True, unfortunately at the end of the I told you so, one still has to fork out more cash, than if the goons had caught it before it wore out.
I too suffered!! ha ha
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 12:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
True True, unfortunately at the end of the I told you so, one still has to fork out more cash, than if the goons had caught it before it wore out.
I too suffered!! ha ha
Rs.269 plus tax for the rubber bush wasnt so bad. You should've seen my cousin's face when he saw the bill for the same on his Skoda....it was 1600 plus, if I'm not mistaken.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 02:04   #8
BHPian

I used to hear those noises in my MPFI Esteem once in a while (while the car was still "new" to me ) ... The fuel quality was not that great and I was up shifting too early into 5th...

Once I got the hang of where in the rev band to upshift for each gear, the noise went away !

So, at the risk of sounding like a maniac... if in doubt, TAKE HER TO HER RED LINE DUDE !

Also, for all those guys and gals out there, who like me, hear ghost sounds from their machines whenever they go out for a spin... do what I did... GET A LOUD SOUND SYSTEM!

Last edited by turbo_c : 21st July 2005 at 02:05.
turbo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 11:28   #9
DRC
BHPian

Check the AC clutch too, I heard that first time, rather felt on the gear shift. I was told it is normal, also verified with other cars..
DRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 14:15   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the knocking only. My WagonR used to do it quite a bit.... but somehow its moody. So I don't bother about it...

Anyways my knocking was reduced by
1) High Octane fuel.
2) Getting valve clearences right.

Even now it knocks but only if u cross 4000-4500rpm
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote