Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th May 2009, 22:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How can you say that? I think having a Pete will definitely hide power loss symptoms, more than a stock car. His car has VGT so the abrupt spool effect also will be lesser, which along with a remap will hide a lot imho.
Petes hiding the power loss was what i am worried about . you got that spot on Jaggu thnx for the empathy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
All the box does is increase the amount of fuel injected. it does nothing to the turbocharger. So I'm at a loss to understand how the Tuning box causes any turbo damage. If there was a problem, hellstar would feel it as a performance loss. He's used to the power output from the pete's box, and any drop in performance would have been picked up.

If the turbo is not supplying the required amount of air, the tuning box will not give any performance benefit. It will not even be able to supply extra fuel, because the ECU will cut back on the injection based on readings from the MAF and the boost pressure sensors.
The tuning box depends on the ECU's own signals to determine its(tuning box's) output.

I'm not familiar with the OBD from hyundai, but it should be pretty straightforward to check if the turbo is working properly. Dont know what numbers the VGT makes though.
I have gotten past the sitaution where in i would realise a power loss from the turbo kicking in slowly for example as with the Petes i rarely count on the turbo kicking in to push me back into the seat.

Yes the end effect of petes box is to increase fuelling , but rember that this is attained by increasing the injection duration ( increasing the pulse width ) in very simply terms. Isnt this how the Petes box increases the torque even when the turbo is not working ? wouldnt this relatively suppress the losses.

I am right now in chennai, gotta be on good term with the Hyundai A.S.S to get your hands on the OBD-II scanner. Iguess i have to wait till i am back in blore, which i a long one month away .... but what can the OBD2 scanner show that will help diagonise the the trouble that i have ?
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 22:22   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Petes hiding the power loss was what i am worried about . you got that spot on Jaggu thnx for the empathy !

I have gotten past the sitaution where in i would realise a power loss from the turbo kicking in slowly for example as with the Petes i rarely count on the turbo kicking in to push me back into the seat.

Yes the end effect of petes box is to increase fuelling , but rember that this is attained by increasing the injection duration ( increasing the pulse width ) in very simply terms. Isnt this how the Petes box increases the torque even when the turbo is not working ? wouldnt this relatively suppress the losses.

I am right now in chennai, gotta be on good term with the Hyundai A.S.S to get your hands on the OBD-II scanner. Iguess i have to wait till i am back in blore, which i a long one month away .... but what can the OBD2 scanner show that will help diagonise the the trouble that i have ?
If the turbo is not producing the required boost at particular rpm, then you know the turbo is malfunctioning. I dont know what the boost is in a Verna, unlike the swift- which I can say produces 210kpa at 2000rpm in 3rd gear.

So we need to find out what the corresponding numbers are for the verna.

About the tuning box compensating for the turbo defect- I shall PM you.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 22:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might be correct, i have never bothered to read up more on these power box's in the first place so it will be inappropriate for me to comment.

@hellstar: Its highly unlikely you will get stranded, even if there is a minor leak. Better indication will be to keep an eye on oil level and oil at exhaust tips, unusual smoking at exhaust.
During the recent night drive in bangalore , i had just come out of the A.S.S for removing water from my diesel tank and i did not put in the green cotton stock replacement filter. some of the other guys whom i overtook that day did bring up the topic of excessive smoke level from my car on ard accelaration, this is something i am hearing about my car fo the first time so i guessed that the it might be because fo the stock filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
One of the key reason I have seen for oil coming into the intercooler is if the filter is not clean or undersized as the suction created in the turbo can end up pulling in oil from the seal(note this is on petrol turbo's don't have enough experience on TDi's / CRDI's). It can also be due to the breather valve but quite rare unless there is a blow-by issue (in this case it would be excessive oil fumes and not oil directly more often than not)
for about40% of my cars mileage its been running on green cotton , i usually bring the car back to stock before giving for service, and then i usually forget untill th next long drive to put the petes and the filte back in . Physco what you have stated is a possiblity

Quote:
If the turbo is not producing the required boost at particular rpm, then you know the turbo is malfunctioning. I dont know what the boost is in a Verna, unlike the swift- which I can say produces 210kpa at 2000rpm in 3rd gear.

So we need to find out what the corresponding numbers are for the verna.

About the tuning box compensating for the turbo defect- I shall PM you.
and guys my car is already on its second turbo , the first was replaced when it malfunctioned. It started giving a growl instead of a whine when spooling, thats what gave me a turbo replacement from Hyundai A.S.S.

Oh yes, i dont wanna fix what not broken but i do belive in preventive maintanence. So i am checking out if this is cause for worry if it is then well it should be checked by the A.S.S especially since this is the second turbo.

@ripper thnx for the PM !

Last edited by hellstar : 11th May 2009 at 22:43.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:58   #19
Team-BHP Support

Guys please share your thoughts on such matters here, if we all resort to PM's then there is no use of participating in a public forum. I personally dont think its in the right spirits.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 23:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ok ,hell star recently you were telling of low mileage isnt it ,can we relate it to this in any way.It was in some other thread i suppose,If the turbo is a gonner and the petes is working for you i feel the box sends exessive fuel and most of it is un burnt and that may cause low fuel eff and due to excess fuel some power loss may be madeup.What ripper told would also be true as he is nowadays sleepping with a turbo in his head and an exhaust tube arround his neck.baybe even a petes box instead of his pillow.
cheers

ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 23:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys please share your thoughts on such matters here, if we all resort to PM's then there is no use of participating in a public forum. I personally dont think its in the right spirits.
Jagu , what he shred was with respectto his personal experience , nothing technical , putting that on the forum may result in pesonal losses to him thats why he PM'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Ok ,hell star recently you were telling of low mileage isnt it ,can we relate it to this in any way.It was in some other thread i suppose,If the turbo is a gonner and the petes is working for you i feel the box sends exessive fuel and most of it is un burnt and that may cause low fuel eff and due to excess fuel some power loss may be madeup.What ripper told would also be true as he is nowadays sleepping with a turbo in his head and an exhaust tube arround his neck.baybe even a petes box instead of his pillow.
cheers

ram
The low mileage was due to the malfunctioning / worn out clutch , cmon man after 60k kms things like that are bound to happen to your clutch .

The last part of your post had me in splits
Old 12th May 2009, 07:25   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

@hellstar- I'd forgotten that you were on your second turbo. I think there was a post about that in your long term thread, or maybe I'm imagining stuff.
@ram- macchu! We shall meet soon.
@jaggu- I do try and share all the info that i have. Currently being paranoid about my warranty claim, hence the PM.

@hellstar- try comparing the Boost, MAF and Intake air temp numbers of your car with a new verna back to back. That should give you some answers on whether the turbo is functioning well or not.

Waiting for a performance drop to be felt physically might be too late. i'm all for getting things checked, but I'd be kind of hesitant for the turbo to be dismantled, especially if the OBDs show no problem.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 13:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@hellstar- I'd forgotten that you were on your second turbo. I think there was a post about that in your long term thread, or maybe I'm imagining stuff.

@ram- macchu! We shall meet soon.

@hellstar- try comparing the Boost, MAF and Intake air temp numbers of your car with a new verna back to back. That should give you some answers on whether the turbo is functioning well or not.

Waiting for a performance drop to be felt physically might be too late. i'm all for getting things checked, but I'd be kind of hesitant for the turbo to be dismantled, especially if the OBDs show no problem.
Yes, i had updated on my longterm thread about the turbo replacement.

the next Ram-Ripper meet sounds really promising ! someone make sure you take pictures .

I guess i gotta wait for the Readings from hyundai OBD-II Scanner will put it up on the forum too...

yes, even i am hesitant to open up the turbo unless in am confident of issues associated with it. Will investigate the issues as far as humanely possible using diagnostic equipment. and symptoms.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:42   #24
Team-BHP Support

Look at this site, has some useful info Turbocharger Diagnosis & Repair
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

i was cleaning my air filter, and noticed that there is a little oil at one of the sides of the intercooler fins (towards one of the bottom corners) . Usually The intercooler is dry. Its not dripping oil, but the fins have been wetted a bit with oil.
Should I be worried ?
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i was cleaning my air filter, and noticed that there is a little oil at one of the sides of the intercooler fins (towards one of the bottom corners) . Usually The intercooler is dry. Its not dripping oil, but the fins have been wetted a bit with oil.
Should I be worried ?

While cleaning the air filter, u saw oil on the intercooler, How ?

Can u please explain a bit more !
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

i was just poking around under the hood . It was just a coincidence
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i was just poking around under the hood . It was just a coincidence
where is the naughty smiley !

i don't think it should be cause for worry unless there is a performance degradation.

my vehicle also had some other symptoms which caused me worry i am still to investigate it with the OBD-II scanner