Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th May 2009, 17:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Swift D'zire DDIS- braking instability

Hi all,
Recently a friend of mine have got Swift D'zire LDI. I drove the car a few times and I'm in absolute admiration of the engine. But one thing I found worrying is the braking or rather the instability during braking at high speed.
1st incident : while on a drive on Mysore road, I was trying to overtake another car and suddenly that guy decided to come to the right side. Probably there was a motorist on his left. So I braked to let him come to my side. I was doing probably more than 120kmph that time and I could feel that the car's rear swayed and the wheels being locked and being dragged/drifted towards the right. I release the brakes and it became stable and we carried on. I decided not to drive her at higher speeds.
2nd incident : yesterday while coming back from Melkute on the state road from Melkute to Mandya I was doing around 100 again(it was not more than 100 for sure) and again there was a situation for emergency braking as there was a sudden uneven area on the road. This time the car swayed violently(towards right side again) and I had my heart in my mouth but luckily it become stable as I released the brakes.
After this I intentionally tried to brake hard at around 70-80kmph and I could easily feel that the car is swaying towards right.
Other parameters on both the situation were : 3 occupants with minimum luggage. And the car is running stock. 5000 Kms on the odo.

So what can be issue with the car?
1. Stock tires are not adequate for hard braking and gets locked easily?
2. Issue with the brakes itself, like right side brakes biting more than the left one and hence the instability?
3. Is the D'zire having stability problem due to the added boot and the heavy diesel engine?

Will changing the tires to good wide rubber help? Or do the brakes also needed to be checked? Waiting for your reply.
Regards,
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 17:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Kaushik - there is a similar discussion going on reg the Swift braking being poor

I think its more to do with the stock tyres. changing that should possibly help

also what was the tyre pressure during this trip ?
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 17:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

The braking is not poor with regard to the bite it offers. Infact I found it to have better bite then my Baleno. But issue is the unstable behaviour of the vehicle at hard braking-drifting towards right. Does other Swifts also have same (mis)behavior during hard braking?
The tire pressure was the normal recommended pressure.
And also another thing to notice is that the alignment needs to be set right as the car was pulling towards the left during normal drive.
Old 11th May 2009, 18:22   #4
BHPian

Guys,

Please also consider that in this case we only see that car is swaying to the right. Please get your brakes checked it may be a possibility that your brakes are not aligned, which means your right brakes are applying more pressure then your left which is causing right tyres to stop sooner then left resulting in swaying of the car.

Also get the tyre alignment verified.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 18:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcoem to the gang.Mine sways to the left though . Its jus brake modulation.When u start driving everyday you ll get used to the rear unsettling a bit.
Wider tyres help though!
humyum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 19:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oops humyum, that's a bad news as we are using the D'zire for the long trips as my Baleno is a big time drinker of fuel. Is there any way of correcting it? Specially, yesterday's incident was downright scary and I was feeling that as if the car was about to topple.
Yes, SametheLeo, have already told my friend to get the wheels aligned and also to check the brakes.
Regards,
Old 11th May 2009, 21:02   #7
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Cost cutting kings maruti, find the cheapest , thinnest tyres available to put on their cars. Enthusiasts like us should know better than to ride on them. The stock tyres are lethal. please upsize.

Also,
try not to panic brake(easier said than done)
try to brake while the steering is dead straight
pump the brakes rather than standing on them.
progressively increasing the force applied on the pedal is the best way to stop this car. rather than slamming on the brakes and keeping up the pressure.

expect the rear to step out if the surface is dusty/sandy or slippery.
wheel alignment if off, can also cause braking imbalance.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 21:11   #8
BHPian

Here I think you are right to a certain extent.After driving both Baleno and DZire i think the brakes issue will be due to the TYRES.
Pumping the brakes is one of the option,tyre change will help.Blaming the brakes would not be a fair thing.
however i dont know but i find the brakes of dzire quite effective at slow speeds than that of baleno.(may be it is new)
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 21:18   #9
BHPian

hey, I own a swift and believe me it does not pull to any side under hard braking hence your car also should not as that would not be normal. The best advice is to brake BEFORE you approach a corner and not while your taking the corner. Because if you press the brakes hard while taking a corner the rear goes out. Also instead of relying only on the brakes only you should also downshift while braking, as that takes a good amount of load off the brakes and helps the car to come to a halt faster and without skidding. Also remember to press the brakes in gear and not to press the brakes and clutch together. Small things which make a lot of difference. My two cents.
harry15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 22:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

I stayed with an old pal of mine at Cuttack in Feb, and he was the GM of a Maruti dealer.
I caught him unwares with all the knowledge I'd acquired from this forum. On one of the points of our discussion, he conceded that the Dzire's back stepped out under hard braking on the highway, while he felt that the Swift was more or less stable under similar braking.
I saw this thread and thought of posting this information.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 23:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

After the first incident I told my friend to get the things checked with MASS. But they told that D'zire Diesel have this kind of behavior and that the car will be much more stable if there are 5 people and some luggage in it. So does that mean that the car's weight distribution is not correct and things aggravate during braking due to sudden weight transfer?
And btw, during the first incident, the road was kind of a turn but yesterday it was almost a straight line. Then I tested the brakes again on a straight and still I could feel the pull towards right.
The brakes are absolutely fine during low speed, no issues at all.
Old 12th May 2009, 01:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Go to an absolutely level, flat road with minimal or zero road camber (slope towards either side to drain rain water) and repeat the braking test. If possible with and without load. Then come back and report your findings.

Its hard to judge what the vehicle is doing without it being on the proper surface first. Let alone diagnosing your problem on an online forum.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 12th May 2009 at 01:11.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 11:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ananth, I guess it'll be a very difficult job to find a absolutely leveled flat road, if not impossible. My concern is that the car should be stable during normal driving and braking. And also that in both the cases braking although was sudden but was not something like standing on the brakes. It's a normal road-going car and hence I expected it to behave like one in a normal Indian road.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:33   #14
BHPian

i have upgraded mine from stock to 15" Michelins MXV8. This has helped a lot. The car is much stable during hard braking.
Nandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 12:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nandan, have you also faced similar kind of issue? What is the profile of your tires? How much did it cost you?