Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th May 2009, 19:21   #1
BHPian

Red face Car Engine as a generator

I do not know if this the right forum. Can the car engine be used as a Electricity generator like any Household Generator for lighting tubelights / bulbs or charging Batteries of Inverters.
Has anybody used car engine for this purpose?
if so what are the pros and cons? what is the efficiency and rating? and how to go about doing it?
drkunaldas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 19:49   #2
BANNED

in theory it certainly can. I dont know what the specifics are but with the necesary modifications and add-ons, it should definitely be possible.
charging inverter batteries looks achievable with the minumum amount of hassle. connect your alternator to the battery / batteries and you should be set.
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 20:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Definitely you can. It is however a very expensive option.

You will need an alternator. Just after the flywheel, instead of the clutch, the engine would be coupled with the alternator.

The engine would be set to run at a constant RPM.

AFAICT, since petrol engines would be running at a higher RPM, they are not used in gensets. Naturally aspirated Diesels, running at around 1400 to 1800 RPM are used. RPM is usually set to 60 - 75% of normal speed since the engine would be running for long periods at a constant speed.

(NA and the low RPM to match Indian skills for maintenance - turgo engines with probably higher RPMs are available).

The big question, even at 40 BHP, it is a lot of KWh. Probably will power up a full fledged 50 room 3 star hotel. Do you need that much power? Of course, if you have such a requirement, and have a discarded diesel engine lying around, do go ahead.

Look in and around your town, you will find the necessary skills to do it. The basic steps would be:-

1. FInd a mounting for the engine and alternator.

2. Make sure the flywheel - alternator couplings match and are properly aligned.

3. Mount the mounting on a proper non-vibrating surface.

Additional / optional extra - (1) a set up to switch on the engine when power fails, (2) sound proof housing (very, very expensive).

In case you are going for a new engine, look around for spares availability and skills for maintenance. And remember than maintaining the engine and the alternator require different skils, and are usually done by different people.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 21:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about cars, but have seen tractors used for electricity generation, an alternator is coupled to the tractor's rotating shaft and you have a portable genset ready.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 21:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

It can be used but so far only one engine has been used AFAIK, the Skoda Octavia engine, 1.9d.

Ashok Leyland Truck Engines have been used in large capacity industrial generators.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 23:34   #6
BHPian

so tell us YOUR plan. sounds interesting.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 01:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Somebody I know was using a contessa 1.8L petrol engine on LPG for the same purpose.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 01:08   #8
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Have heard of generator engines being used in some kind of vehicles more often than the other way around.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 01:31   #9
BHPian

my neighbor was using the engine of his sipani d1 as a generator in his farm long back
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 01:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
so tell us YOUR plan. sounds interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Definitely you can. It is however a very expensive option.

You will need an alternator. Just after the flywheel, instead of the clutch, the engine would be coupled with the alternator.

The big question, even at 40 BHP, it is a lot of KWh. Probably will power up a full fledged 50 room 3 star hotel. Do you need that much power? Of course, if you have such a requirement, and have a discarded diesel engine lying around, do go ahead.
See i was looking for a inverter / generator for my house. in addition to the luminous / etc guys, i also called up the mahindra guys. they have a power generator div which deals in 5-400 KVA engines / power supply. a 15 KVA (18 BHP) genset costs around 2.5 lakhs for running 10 tubes, 2-3 AC's etc(that's quite a lot)
so i thought, i have 99 model santro which is due for replacement in 5-6 months time. can it be utilised for the purpose of generator or to charge the batteries of a inverter. the car engines also power the Car's AC.

@ BaCkSeAtDrIVeR. i think a car engine has an alternator by which it charges the battery . what do we need a further alternator ?
please bear with me if my questions are amateurish.
drkunaldas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 02:22   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkunaldas View Post
See i was looking for a inverter / generator for my house. in addition to the luminous / etc guys, i also called up the mahindra guys. they have a power generator div which deals in 5-400 KVA engines / power supply. a 15 KVA (18 BHP) genset costs around 2.5 lakhs for running 10 tubes, 2-3 AC's etc(that's quite a lot)
so i thought, i have 99 model santro which is due for replacement in 5-6 months time. can it be utilised for the purpose of generator or to charge the batteries of a inverter. the car engines also power the Car's AC.

@ BaCkSeAtDrIVeR. i think a car engine has an alternator by which it charges the battery . what do we need a further alternator ?
please bear with me if my questions are amateurish.
At best your santro alternator will charge your small santro battery. Also note it only produces DC.

Its not practical to run petrol engine for long periods of time at higher RPMs i.e. where it actually produces power.

Car engine is designed to deliver 90+% of its power through the flywheel, so things like your current alternator and ac are not relevant here.

Also it'll be to very expensive to run a 55-60bhp petrol engine to power the generator.

I'd say not practical.

Also, your santro might fetch you about a lakh if you sell it with the engine so you can reduce that cost from the generator. [consider it santro's contribution to generating power]
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 03:54   #12
BHPian

Ya why not. If a Tractor engine can be used for the purpose of using a Tubewell, am sure this is not too difficult. Only that am a novice on the subject
nishant_kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 04:35   #13
BHPian

Have heard about buses using a second engine in the rear to power the Air Conditioner(In Leyland,Tata) so that there is no power lose while in normal driving conditions, the engine usually used for this purpose is scrapped ambassador engines as they come by real cheap.

For the above mentioned application what can be recommended is an A.C current generator attached directly to the flywheel of the engine. It's not practical to run a petrol engine for this purpose due to the fuel efficiency issues. You would be better off with a lower capacity diesel engine like from the Ambassador for this purpose.

I have also heard about some normal juggads like Bajaj Chetak Engines running with a mix of petrol and kerosene to run a generator to produce electricity. wouldn't cost much. Also i have seen quite a lot of the Diesel Bullet Engine being commonly used as a stand alone generator.

So it's an easy mod as long as you get a really good A.C generator.

My workshop currently uses an Ambassador Diesel Engine(BMC) for running the spary paint compressor,with 3 litres of diesel at idiling it runs for about 2 hours.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 07:40   #14
BHPian

Default Yes It can be done

It can be easily done. I Tea gardens we are used to a lot of juggads. At present in one of our out division tea garden, we are using a gypsy engine coupled with a 25 KVa alternator running on piped Gas. It has a sort of governor which keeps the rpm steady and it is in used for over 3 years now.

Ciao

Lifewater
Lifewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 10:13   #15
BHPian

Whats the fuss about? It can be done, a generator IS an ordinary internal combustion engine with a standard mixture carburettor or simple diesel fuel pump designed to run at a constant RMP with no required exhaust emission standards.
The point of Generator motors is to make them a whole heap cheaper than car engines simply because they don’t have to be so versatile and because they don’t have to comply with environmental regulations. So can it be done? Yes, its like using a thoroughbred racing horse to plough a field.
Gasolinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote