Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th February 2016, 14:16   #226
BHPian

Default Re: Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post
I saw someone ofering a K&N free flowing filter on OLX the other day. Does that keep the engine happy at the same time give some in between thrills. Thx.
A K&N filter on a stock vehicle gives at best "sound performance" with negligible increase in performance figures.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 16:43   #227
BHPian

what is the effect of the remap on the FE of the Figo? The driveability in the city with AC (it is summer now) is not great & requires frequent shifting gears, even slotting to 1st gear, when going over some crooked speed breakers, to avoid stalling. Also, the highway performance is not great IMO esp. when it is in the 2.5K-3.5K band in 5th gear & does feel under-powered. It does spin at 80kmph @ 2000rpm but not really happy with it. Wondering if a remap will help, but want to know its impact on FE in both city (Bangalore) & highway driving conditions.

Can one of you give an update on this please?
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 16:47   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
what is the effect of the remap on the FE of the Figo?

Can one of you give an update on this please?
FE depends solely on ones driving style. My DTE used to show 510 to 520 kms for a full tank of fuel. After the remap I get around 550+ for the same amount of fuel. In my case the improved torque lets me get away with lesser gearshifts. I hope that helps.

Quote:
It does spin at 80kmph @ 2000rpm but not really happy with it.
Kmph at rpm is a function of the gearing of the car and no remap can change that. A remap only helps get there quicker.

Last edited by batterylow : 12th March 2016 at 16:51. Reason: Additional data
Old 13th March 2016, 20:17   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Kmph at rpm is a function of the gearing of the car and no remap can change that. A remap only helps get there quicker.
I thought the bump in bhp results in more power and hence should run faster at a particular rpm compared to before. The higher torque should help in getting there quicker (while the gear ratios remain the same) which I understand. I do not have too much knowledge on this topic, except for the vaguely remembered basics from college (long ago).

Back to the noob query: The main point I wanted to ask was to understand what can be done to make the engine behave better in terms of
- reduced gearshifts when the car slows down in traffic
- better / less stressed pulling on a highway

Something like a more linear torque to address the shifts in city at the lower rpm bands to avoid stalling and better pulling when rpm falls AND and up-shift in power in the mid rpm bands for faster moving of the car. The torque graph becoming more flatter at lower RPMs on the x-axis and the power graph moving up at mid & higher RPMs on the y-axis.

Isnt this what a retune/remap will address for us?
Old 13th March 2016, 20:54   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post

Back to the noob query: The main point I wanted to ask was to understand what can be done to make the engine behave better in terms of
- reduced gearshifts when the car slows down in traffic
- better / less stressed pulling on a highway

Isnt this what a retune/remap will address for us?
In case you have not gone through it yet, please find the link to my remap thread. The torque and power graphs can be see in the second post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-code-6-a.html (Life without EMIs or why I remapped my Ford Figo 1.4L Diesel (Code 6))

Coming to your questions.

1. Yes, the idea is to have a flatter torque curve that picks up early so that gives us enough torque to pick up speed instead of dropping down a gear.

2. The higher torque also contributes to the easier acceleration on the highway.
Old 31st March 2016, 08:29   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
In case you have not gone through it yet, please find the link to my remap thread. The torque and power graphs can be see in the second post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-code-6-a.html (Life without EMIs or why I remapped my Ford Figo 1.4L Diesel (Code 6))
Awesome. Thanks for the link. Somehow I had missed on this one. Will pick up my queries on your thread