Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th June 2005, 13:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyupc
Do you mean downforce is usable only after 200kmph...

Or that downforce from small spoilers found on most cars is negligible below 200kmph?

Because especially at slow tracks like monaco, downforce settings are very high.

Average speed of a lap at monaco is only 150 or thereabouts.
First of all, those arent my findings but those of my ex-colleague.

Secondly, he meant that for a spoiler to become useful the vehicle should be doing 200kmph or more (assuming no headwind). Only then does the force of the wind become sufficient for a well designed spoiler to have any effect on the handling of the vehicle.

I think we can conclude that <200 kmph gunny bags (filled with sand/cement/gravel) are the best aftermarket add-ons for handling.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th June 2005 at 13:18.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 13:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Secondly, he meant that for a spoiler to become useful the vehicle should be doing 200kmph or more (assuming no headwind). Only then does the force of the wind become sufficient for a well designed spoiler to have any effect on the handling of the vehicle.
Somehow i'm not satisfied with that theory. Downforce is also dependant on the surface area of the spoiler and the angle at which it cuts through the air.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 7th June 2005 at 14:29.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 16:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
hey,...think this has been discussed a lot of times before...but at high speeds tire pressure needs to be reduced not increased.
Iceman, I think you meant the other way. At higher speeds and/or higher loads , tyre pressures should be higher than normal.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 16:51   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Did you get the offset checked before buying your alloys? i still can't see why it should happen at 130kmph, that's cruising speed!!!
The wheel shop guy didn't know what an offset was, but I made sure it was within normal parameters, which is 38 in my case.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 17:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The wheel shop guy didn't know what an offset was, but I made sure it was within normal parameters, which is 38 in my case.
In that case, it can't be a problem with the car. Try driving at 130+ on a diff road. Try the Blore-Tumkur road, i did 160 on that road and the car felt calm and steady.

Shan2nu
Old 7th June 2005, 17:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Recently I have started pushing my new Baleno to higher speeds. Two weeks back On the Hassan-Bangalore highway I started flooring it and was quite disappointed when the car started feel light (levitation?) at mere 130KMPH, I decided not to push it further.

What could be the reason? I didn't expect that to happen until 160+.

het samuraI,
I too had similar problems after upgrading to tires of lesser OD.inspite of better tires ,the handling was not as i had expected it to be.
this was because i used to keep the same air pressure as the previous tires which had higher OD.
So after i kept slightly lower psi in my tires,the ride and handling seems to be better.
so why dont u do some trial and error on ur psi readings,by lowering it.

but be careful that u dont underinflate the tires.this u can make out by looking at the tires
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 17:46   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In that case, it can't be a problem with the car. Try driving at 130+ on a diff road. Try the Blore-Tumkur road, i did 160 on that road and the car felt calm and steady.
I'll try in different roads and see how it feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
I too had similar problems after upgrading to tires of lesser OD.inspite of better tires ,the handling was not as i had expected it to be.
I don't have any problems with the handling, that is very good. This lightness was felt in straight road.
Old 7th June 2005, 17:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have any problems with the handling, that is very good. This lightness was felt in straight road
Also, get your wheels alligned. A car going in a straight line doesn't always read as "alligned wheels".

If both your front tyres have equal toe-out, it improves handling but reduces straightline stability, without steering to one side.

The toe angles for the front and rear wheels will be mentioned in your car manual.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 7th June 2005 at 18:04.
Old 7th June 2005, 18:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I don't have any problems with the handling, that is very good. This lightness was felt in straight road.

The lightness at higher speeds had probably something to do with your tires .mabbe as the tires get heated at speeds,the contact patch with the road is less.that s why u might be getting that feel.

BTW do u fill same air as before.

maruti says
33psi for 145/7or13 in a wagon r ,but says 32 psi for 155/65r13 which has slightly lesser OD.
so try doing that as well
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 18:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mabbe as the tires get heated at speeds,the contact patch with the road is less.that s why u might be getting that feel.
Well, if the contact patch is infact getting reduced (which i doubt it does), shouldn't it affect handling too?

I don't think a 1 psi diff changes the contact area, it takes a lot more psi than that.

Shan2nu
Old 7th June 2005, 18:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, if possible, try driving someone else's car (which is not supposed to feel light) and see if you feel that lightness. Many times it is more subjective, especially when you own a new vehicle.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 18:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many times it is more subjective, especially when you own a new vehicle.
Good point. Maybe there isn't anything wrong with the car. Maybe that's how every Baleno with stock suspenssion feels at 130.

I'd probably feel the same if i was to come down from an Acura TL to a Maruti Baleno.

But do get your allignment checked.

Shan2nu
Old 7th June 2005, 19:00   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, get your wheels alligned. A car going in a straight line doesn't always read as "alligned wheels".
I got my wheels changed on the day of delivery. They only did balancing after changing the wheels/tyres and not alignment. They said alignment is not necessary since it is new car.
Old 7th June 2005, 19:12   #44
BHPian

er...175!!? er...indica?? is the indica modded? if it aint...that a MAJOR speedo error we are lookin at..
Rice_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 19:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
er...175!!? er...indica?? is the indica modded? if it aint...that a MAJOR speedo error we are lookin at..
What r you talking about????

Shan2nu