Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th May 2009, 14:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

You mentioned that you opened the car manually.
Maybe, just maybe, the engine immobilizer is at work. Try locking unlocking the car again using the remote locking.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 17:06   #32
BHPian

Unhappy

I have faced soem what similar issue with my i10 (1 year old, IRDE). We were driving from Palakkad to Bangalore. Just after leaving Hosur, there was a strange hissing noise. Thought the engine might have overheated, but checked the temp guage it was normal. After approx 20 Kms we reached Chandapura which is approx. 10 kms form Bangalore. We stopped at the signal, perhaps I released the clutch too fast. The Car stopped. Tried starting again, no response!!!!!!!!!. Engine not even crank also all electricals were out including the central locking. You can imagine the chaos having a dead car in the busy highway, with my 1.5 year old daughter on board. Bangalore folks have very less tolerence to this and I can hear the vehicle behind honking. Some how I managed to get in called some local guys and pulled the car to the side. Tried cranking again no response. Called the Hyundai service they were very prompt reached the spot in half an hour. They jumpstarted the vehicle and the initial diagnosis was the battery got discharged. Drove till Trident Service centre near Bommanahalli and it was confirmed the battery got discharged and need replacement.

The make is Amaron, Trident Hyundai called up Amaron and they initially told that they do not have service to the area. After a series of phone call they agreed to come. We reached the Trident Hyundai at 3 PM in the evening and the Amaron Guy came at 6.30 PM. It was a long wait especially after long drive and with the small kid. We cannot leave the vehicle also as we were returning home after almost 3 months stay in Kerala and the car was full of baggage. Finally the Amaron guy replaced the battery at 7.30 PM and we reached our home at about 9.30 PM.

The Amaron people told that the reason might be a short circuit in side battery.

Has any body faced a similar incident or the reason for this. This might be quite dangerous for the battery to get discharged all of a sudden while driving.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2009 at 17:26. Reason: Smilie usage limited to 2, please go through announcements. thanks
shijinpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 17:14   #33
BHPian

Just an update. Called up Hyundai breakdown service. They would be coming tomorrow to my place to get the car checked tomorrow. Will update the issue once i get things sorted out.
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 22:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Shijnpr, battery getting discharged after a drive probably would mean that the alternator is not working properly or may be it's not charging the battery. Another thing might be that the battery life has reached it's end and hence the situation.
Jango, have you checked the battery of your remote itself? May be it's gone and now the immobilizer is at work and hence you are not able to start the car?
Are the headlights or the horn working, if not then may be actually the car battery itself is gone.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 23:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Just an update. Called up Hyundai breakdown service. They would be coming tomorrow to my place to get the car checked tomorrow. Will update the issue once i get things sorted out.
Breakdown service coming next day !! and that too in city like Bangalore
and people vouch for Hyundai service standards while criticizing other manufacturers.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 23:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Jango, have you checked the battery of your remote itself? May be it's gone and now the immobilizer is at work and hence you are not able to start the car?
Are the headlights or the horn working, if not then may be actually the car battery itself is gone.
Yeah Kaushik i did check the battery of the remote. It works fine and i can see a small light glowing on the remote as well. I also tried with the spare remote, still no luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Breakdown service coming next day !! and that too in city like Bangalore
and people vouch for Hyundai service standards while criticizing other manufacturers.
@ Amit as i had to hurry to office ( and had to reach the office urgently) and since there was no one at home i requested them to come down to my place tomorrow. Otherwise i am sure they would have turned up fast
Old 21st May 2009, 11:33   #37
BHPian

Post UPDATE : Battery had drained out

An update... the Hyundai break down team came down to diagnose the issue and the issue was found to be with the battery, which got drained off completely in 9 days time FLAT.

I was told that the security system was the reason for this, however the battery was refusing to charge so i drove the car to Trident Hyundai, jakkasandra to get the battery recharged and also to get a routine checkup done on the car including checks on battery leaks. I would be taking delivery of my car this evening and would be driving it down to kerala tomorrow morning.

Last edited by jango : 21st May 2009 at 11:34.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:43   #38
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
An update... the Hyundai break down team came down to diagnose the issue and the issue was found to be with the battery. I was told that the security system was the reason for this
Glad you got to the bottom of this problem. Are you getting the wiring of the system checked to ensure that there are no leaks? What is the service station saying?

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 11:52   #39
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

It's good that the Battery is OEM and the security system is fitted by the dealer. Now whichever component he blames, he's responsible for it. Normally dealers always put the blame on components fitted outside even when the fault is with the vehicle itself.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 13:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Glad you got to the bottom of this problem. Are you getting the wiring of the system checked to ensure that there are no leaks? What is the service station saying?
Cheers,
gpa
Yes Gpa have asked them to check the wiring, battery and also the alternative. Don't want to miss out on any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
It's good that the Battery is OEM and the security system is fitted by the dealer. Now whichever component he blames, he's responsible for it. Normally dealers always put the blame on components fitted outside even when the fault is with the vehicle itself.
Very true