Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th May 2009, 05:48   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I recently faced this problem of water contamination in my petrol tank during my recent trip to Bhutan. I am told, this is a rather common problem you have to deal with while traveling on Indian highways. I will detail my experience and would love to know the experts' views on this.
I had to tank up several times during my journey and somehow water got into my tank, which subsequently resulted in the engine behaving in a strange way. I wasn't getting enough power and the engine was kind of stuttering.
After coming back from the trip the MASS mechanic suspected and discovered water in the tank. They threw away the contaminated petrol, cleaned the tank thoroughly, cleaned the fuel line by running air through it. The car now behaves like new. In fact it feels much peppier than what it was before I started this long journey.
Now the question is how do you deal with this problem in future on the highway? I am told mixing methylated spirit in the tank helps as it mixes with the water and then burns it up. Could chemical engineers and people in the know help me by giving a plausible answer? Because this is one problem that has to be cured and cannot be endured.
How much methylated spirit should be mixed? I am sure that would depend on the amount of water inside the tank. But some general rule of thumb will help.
I hope this thread has been posted in the correct section. It's indeed a technical question, though not directly related to the mechanics of the car itself. Also I could not find this subject discussed anywhere else.
I am not sure if a product called DRY GAS is available in INDIA.In USA,we routinely use dry gas in areas where it is very cold as there is always condensation in the gas line and dry gas traps water moisture and it burns along with the fuel.Dry gas is nothing but isopropyl alcohol .you add 8-16 fl.oz to a tank full of fuel
TRAUMASURG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 09:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yes, isopropyl alcohol is available here aplenty. Just go to a chemical shop and order it by the hundreds of liters.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 10:35   #18
BHPian

Default Re: How do you deal with water contaminated petrol on highways

I came across this funnel fuel filter which can help with getting cleaner fuel in the tank. It's supposed to remove water as well as sediments while you're filling up.

This doesn't seem to be available online but after some searching, I was able to find a seller in Mumbai. http://ph.parker.com/in/en/fuel-filter-funnel/rff8c

Need to find a retailer in NCR.

Name:  Untitled1.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  112.8 KB
Tanmay K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 22:03   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
I came across this funnel fuel filter which can help with getting cleaner fuel in the tank. It's supposed to remove water as well as sediments while you're filling up.

This doesn't seem to be available online but after some searching, I was able to find a seller in Mumbai. http://ph.parker.com/in/en/fuel-filter-funnel/rff8c

Need to find a retailer in NCR.

Attachment 1508581
Hello,

So did you manage to find the funnel fuel filter? it seems an easy and convenient alternative.

drive_angry
drive_angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 21:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
So did you manage to find the funnel fuel filter?
I haven't yet. These are available for a fairly low price on Amazon US; importing to India might not be cost-worthy though. Probably carrying some spare fuel filters of the car itself might be a better option for long interstate road trips.
Tanmay K is offline   Reply With Quote