Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th June 2005, 17:48   #1
BANNED

Default Engine oil probs ??

Guys, This is for all the in house tech guys .. My palio seems 2 b eating a lot of engine oil !!! Wat usually are the reasons for this and wat do I need 2 get checked ... ? I just hope its not a big prob .... wud hate to see something go wrong to my GTX , lol !!!

cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 18:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

loose oil drain plug,broken oil pan sealant,leaky crankshaft oil seals,improper tightening of oil filter,blown head cylinder gasket,leaky camshaft oil seals.

if oil entering the combustion chamber thenyou should get smoke from your exhasuts.

this coul dbe due to sticky piston ring (remove carbon and replace rings)

worn piston and cylinder(replace or rebore cylinder and replace piston)

also check your exhaust tail pipe for oil deposits by putting your finger into it.

Last edited by speedsatya : 8th June 2005 at 18:26.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 18:19   #3
BHPian

ooooh. Bad sign!
If you are lucky then you are just leaking some else....

Check around the egine bay for signs of oil, that will give you an indication as to whether there is a leak somewhere.some joint or gasket may be leaking. Also check next to the oil filter as it may be slightly loose.

Else your piston rings may be worn.You can try and check that visually
Firsst run the car in the low oil level state,,
Then run the car and check the exhaust see if there's much smoke etc,
then top up yourengine oil, upto full
and run the car again, if you get blue smoke, or generally a much smokier exhaust than before, your piston rings are worn out
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 19:16   #4
BHPian

Khaadu, how many kilometres has your GTX covered so far?
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 08:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey Khaadu,

a few points to be checked:

1) Does your car give out white smoke when you drive (Defnitely oil leak to the cylinder)
2) Is there any visible leak around the engine (esp near the oil filter)
- Oil filter
- Oil seals check near timing belt, clutch case,
3) Open your radiator and check for oil presence (Oil Leak into the cylinder and into the water line means your head gasket is out this may or maynot show up as white smoke)
4) What quality of oil being used some oils turn thick quick and give you a perception that the car is drinking up the oil. Try using synthetic instead after flusing out the old oil.
5) If the car gives out white smoke when yuou drive it coould be one of the following:
- Rings are gone (Drop in power of the car)
- Valve guide leakage (Car may or may not give out excessive valve sounds but you could check oil temp in the head with a good mech)
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 09:11   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Hey Khaadu,

a few points to be checked:

1) Does your car give out white smoke when you drive (Defnitely oil leak to the cylinder)
2) Is there any visible leak around the engine (esp near the oil filter)
- Oil filter
- Oil seals check near timing belt, clutch case,
3) Open your radiator and check for oil presence (Oil Leak into the cylinder and into the water line means your head gasket is out this may or maynot show up as white smoke)
4) What quality of oil being used some oils turn thick quick and give you a perception that the car is drinking up the oil. Try using synthetic instead after flusing out the old oil.
5) If the car gives out white smoke when yuou drive it coould be one of the following:
- Rings are gone (Drop in power of the car)
- Valve guide leakage (Car may or may not give out excessive valve sounds but you could check oil temp in the head with a good mech)

Thanx for the lil check list ... Firstly there is absolutely no signs of any smoke in at any time. Secondly the light comes on only when i take a turn, any form of a turn !! It clinks on for a few secs and then goes of .. the power has not dropped at all .. There is a slight oil leak near the gear box but that I guess is gear oil leakage !!!

Im taking it today to get chcked but I'm kinda confused ... And yes I do use synthetic oil !!!

cheers
Old 9th June 2005, 09:11   #7
BANNED

Btw wat engine oil is recomended for the palio ??
Old 9th June 2005, 09:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
There is a slight oil leak near the gear box but that I guess is gear oil leakage !!!
Is this where the gearbox joins the engine? (if so you may have a busted crank oil seal.) That is the clutch housing, if the leak is here then you should also be experiencing a lil clutch slip....

If the oil warning light comes up when you take a turn it typically means a low oil level, suggest that you top up immediately.

Last edited by Psycho : 9th June 2005 at 09:22.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 09:32   #9
BANNED

Psycho..yup, u guessed rite !! I am experiencing a lil clutch slip ... and the leak is just where u asked . And i topped up the oil and it was fine till about 900 kms when the light started lighting up on taking turns.

Cheers
Old 2nd July 2005, 05:44   #10
BHPian

Exclamation Some help please!!!

Can you tell me the Brands you guys would recommend for the following products........
  1. Engine oil
  2. Radiator coolant
  3. Dashboard, Exterior and tyre polish

Keeping in mind my 1985 Suzuki 800!!!!!!
Ciao!~

Last edited by Edmund : 2nd July 2005 at 05:45. Reason: Typo!!!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote