Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th October 2012, 16:15   #301
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

I got strut pads changed at around 23600km this August. As per the SA the new pads have a different design and will last long. I hope what he says is right and I do not have to replace the pads again in near future.

A week after 3rd and final free servicing the steering rack started leaking through one of the oil seals. The SA informed me that the oil seal cannot be replaced and the entire rack had to be replaced. That cost me 19k. Since the rack failed a week after standard warranty I had to pay the cost from my pocket and I am waiting for refund under extended warranty.

After change of strut pad and steering rack the mechanics had a tough time getting the alignment of wheels correct. The vehicle had started pulling to right. The SA informed me that vehicle pulling to one side is common problem in Linea. It took one week to get the alignment correct. Now after a month or so the vehicle has started pulling towards left. I got the tyres inflated to recommended pressure but still the vehicle pulls to left. I will have to get the alignment done again after barely 3000km.

Has anyone faced the problem of their Linea pulling to one direction?
ranjitss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 09:57   #302
BHPian

Its better to get the alignment done at a place outside TASC. They should be able to fix the issue properly.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 18:54   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitss
I got strut pads changed at around 23600km this August. As per the SA the new pads have a different design and will last long. I hope what he says is right and I do not have to replace the pads again in near future.

A week after 3rd and final free servicing the steering rack started leaking through one of the oil seals. The SA informed me that the oil seal cannot be replaced and the entire rack had to be replaced. That cost me 19k. Since the rack failed a week after standard warranty I had to pay the cost from my pocket and I am waiting for refund under extended warranty.

After change of strut pad and steering rack the mechanics had a tough time getting the alignment of wheels correct. The vehicle had started pulling to right. The SA informed me that vehicle pulling to one side is common problem in Linea. It took one week to get the alignment correct. Now after a month or so the vehicle has started pulling towards left. I got the tyres inflated to recommended pressure but still the vehicle pulls to left. I will have to get the alignment done again after barely 3000km.

Has anyone faced the problem of their Linea pulling to one direction?
TASC just makes the alignment for the record... They did alignment and balancing on my Linea and vehicle pulled to left. They called the mechanic, who loosened the steering joints, hammered something and tightened and car went straight... I asked them since the correction was made, should there not be a realignment - to which I was told alignment is now perfect as car is going straight :-)

Get the alignment done outside.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:06   #304
BHPian

Hi,
for the past few days blue and me is having issues with telephone calls. when the call comes the ringing sound is distorted and voice too. this happens only for voice calls. the usb is playing music without any distortion in sound.
Yesterday when i started the car the odometer reading was blinking and blue and me was not working. i pressed the windows button but nothing was working. i was worried why the odometer reading was blinking. i had no clue regarding this. so i stopped the car after 1 km and then switched off the car and started it but the same situation was prevailing. the odometer was working and km was increasing but the blinking was still there. the after a few kms the blinking went away. i tried to start media player with voice command and it worked. I dont know why it happened and how it fixed. to day morning also there is no issue. i have not checked the mobile connection. any idea why the odometer went blinking and blue and me stopped working ?

Help is much appreciated. thanks in advance.
harryms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:01   #305
BHPian

Dear Harry,

Seems to be a problem with battery. The battery may have become weak or could have got discharged due to something left on for considerable time. Once the battery got charged up after some driving, things seemed to be working OK. You may get capacity test of your battery done.
skm1967 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 00:24   #306
BHPian

I have a Linea that has clocked over 94000kms.
Of late the ride has become quite stiff , earlier the car used to glide over the potholes but now you feel each and every bump.
I asked my service advisor for a suspension overhaul and he said that we can only change the "bushes".
Would that be enough?
ishlinea7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 00:34   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Of late the ride has become quite stiff , earlier the car used to glide over the potholes but now you feel each and every bump.
I asked my service advisor for a suspension overhaul and he said that we can only change the "bushes".
Would that be enough?
Bushes?
Why not check the shock abosorbers?
Start off by checking the tyre pressure.
I was facing same issue in another vehicle of mine.Found out that due to a faulty gauge,i was driving around with 42PSI instead of 32.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 00:36   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Why not check the shock abosorbers?
Start off by checking the tyre pressure.
I will ask that on my next visit.
BTW what does a suspension overhaul basically comprise of?
ishlinea7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:34   #309
BHPian

The poor ride could also be due to tyre condition deteriorating. At 45K I was still running stock tyres on my Linea and I felt the ride had worsened and so did ground clearence since she would bottom up quite frequently. I knew tyre change was due however at that point I also felt that the suspension badly needs attention.

Tyre change/upgrade (from 195 60/R15 to 195 65/R15) at 49K completly transformed the ride. I couldn't believe how quite/compliant the same suspension had become, by a mere tyre change.

Suggest you check condition of tyres and make sure they are in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Would that be enough?
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 10:41   #310
Senior - BHPian

Finally I too lost the Front Left Door handle Silver Beading. Now it's an Eyesore in Black color.
I have searched it for last 2 days and it's not available anywhere and VST guys told, it won't come alone and wang to buy as a Door Handle Entire Unit and costs Rs. 500+.
Please someone can arrange for the beading alone. I too asked some of my friends to search in accidental Repair workshop.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 13:03   #311
BHPian

Dear Friend,
the Blue and ME issue is resolved by updating the blue and me to version 6.0. The issue of B&ME popped only after i updated my phone operating system. So after the B&ME update to version 6.0 the issue is resolved. Regarding the blinking of the odometer what skm1967 has told is right. My brother was playing music when he washed the car. I have an AMP which might have made the battery drained to min level. so when i was travelling the battery might have got recharged and the issue was resolved.
Is there no separate warning light for low battery charge in Linea??
thank you for letting me know about the battery charge issue.

thanks

Hari
harryms is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 15:38   #312
BHPian

Hi,

My Linea is just a month old. Just days after we bought it the glove compartment refuses to close. Going all the way to the Tejaswi motors here in Hyderabad just for a small problem will take away the entire day. Can somebody guide me on this? Would you advise me to take the car to some outside mechanic who may do the needful?
nitindangoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 16:59   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria
Hi,

My Linea is just a month old. Just days after we bought it the glove compartment refuses to close. Going all the way to the Tejaswi motors here in Hyderabad just for a small problem will take away the entire day. Can somebody guide me on this? Would you advise me to take the car to some outside mechanic who may do the needful?
This is a common problem in Punto and Linea. Its not happened in my Linea yet, but was there in my friends Punto. The solution is to bend the metal loop on the glovebox, such that the latch on the door gets a good grip. You can do this yourself, but you have to be careful not to apply too much side load on the clamp - it may damage the dashboard. Bending it too much also will prevent you from closing the lid. Fiat service guys are best guys to do the job as they have enough practice.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 16:35   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
This is a common problem in Punto and Linea. Its not happened in my Linea yet, but was there in my friends Punto. The solution is to bend the metal loop on the glovebox, such that the latch on the door gets a good grip. You can do this yourself, but you have to be careful not to apply too much side load on the clamp - it may damage the dashboard. Bending it too much also will prevent you from closing the lid. Fiat service guys are best guys to do the job as they have enough practice.
Do also check the hinge lock of the glove box, some times it might not be properly fitted. this can also cause the glove box not properly getting locked. All you need a 1 rupee coin to fix the hinge lock of the glove box.

thanks
harryms is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 14:21   #315
BHPian

I made a 2000 km round trip in my 2012 Linea MJD in Diwali from Pune-Bangy and back. Few observations I had made , need your expert opinions on these:

1) I had put a cloth on the rear LHS glass , held with the glass fully up to protect the rear passengers from direct sunlight. After some hours when I was rolling down the rear LHS glass many times for next 3-4 days( cloth already removed), it is making a 'chin chyan kyanch' noise :-) indicating some kind of resistance. This noise starts once the glass is halfway down.

Pls help with DIY actions or do i need to visit dealership ? Does any indicate any part failure on window winding etc ?

** Done the same many times in my older cars, never faced any such issues **.

2) Drove many times at 130-140 kmph at a stretch in the NH4 , karnataka part ...but I felt the engine strained [ AC on , with just total 3 passengers, very less luggage] , and forcing me to comeback to the comfy 120 kmph speed. Is it normal ? I head the MJD can cruise easily at 150+ , but I could not reach that.

Car is just 3500 kms run at start of trip, 1st service done.

3) Steering was responsive , but I felt it much harder than Verna at 100+ speeds causing a bit of pain/strain in hand for turning it. anything abnormal in my Linea wrt this ?
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote