Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 10:01   #346
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 228
Thanked: 114 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Here we go with the picture of the spanner that was supplied with the jack kit.

Attachment 1028271

The spanner is marked with 17mm size. However, you need to really push the spanner in the slot where the bolts are mounted to ensure it does not slip.

I am going to throw away this one and get a better one to use in case I need to remove the wheel from the car.
Thank you for the pic.

Yes ,Mine is a different one, no marking of size / make like yours. Even today again I tried pushing it inside fully on the wheel nut , it was just freely rotating :-) all over. It looks a dealer play!

Need to buy one asap..apart from asking Fiat/dealer to give a replacement.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 10:04   #347
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,432
Thanked: 3,986 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Thank you for the pic.

Yes ,Mine is a different one, no marking of size / make like yours. Even today again I tried pushing it inside fully on the wheel nut , it was just freely rotating :-) all over. It looks a dealer play!

Need to buy one asap..apart from asking Fiat/dealer to give a replacement.
Try picking up one from the market with the rachet type and a 17 size bit. Ensure you buy a long bit else it will be useless.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 11:57   #348
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 228
Thanked: 114 Times
Unhappy re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Try picking up one from the market with the rachet type and a 17 size bit. Ensure you buy a long bit else it will be useless.
Will check.

Now , for my peace of mind, I checked the tool kit bag for the first time ..the contents are as below, can you pls check if its same as yours Linea 2012:

- 1 jack
- 1 spanner
- 1 screw driver
- 1 tow hook

Thats It! If not, I need to take up with the dealer.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 12:23   #349
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,432
Thanked: 3,986 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Will check.

Now , for my peace of mind, I checked the tool kit bag for the first time ..the contents are as below, can you pls check if its same as yours Linea 2012:

- 1 jack
- 1 spanner
- 1 screw driver
- 1 tow hook

Thats It! If not, I need to take up with the dealer.
The contents you mentioned are exactly the same except for the 17 size spanner. Get that fixed and you will not find yourself stuck to change the wheels. Also picking up a tyre inflator will add a bit more of piece of mind.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 07:39   #350
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post

Thanks mate.

The car is a shade under three and a half years old. So wasn't under any illusions whatsoever. However IIRC, the belt was replaced during my last service and hasn't done more than 2K KM since. So the fan belt shouldn't be squealing. Which is probably why the SA, who knows the car inside out and is well aware of the service history keeps insisting that there's no problem! I intend to get it checked out anyway.
May be the pulley is making noise.. Or even water pump. Check if they need lubrication or replacement.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 17:13   #351
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 228
Thanked: 114 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

I am facing a strange problem with the ignition key , in my 2012 linea MJD, with 7K on the odo.

Suppose at a traffic signal >2 mins wait, I switch off the engine by turning the key back to STOP position from the usual MAR position while driving.

Now when i want to restart the car, I turn it from STOP position to MAR position, but after that when i want to turn on the ignition, key does not move. [ It happens in 70% times].
in 2nd /3rd attempt, by going to STOP --> MAR --> AVV position, it works and car starts.

[ This invites obvious honks from behind at signals]

Is this a normal behavious coming out of some safety precaution set by FIAT or a sure shot defect , which I should highlight to FIAT A$$ immediately. I fear , one day it might not start at signal at all
and other people around might break my pretty Linea!

It never happens in morning/evening starts from parking slots ...I mean starting after long gaps in hours.

Pls suggest / clarify this behaviour from your experience. I fear to go to TA$$ for anything.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 18:29   #352
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,531 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I am facing a strange problem with the ignition key , in my 2012 linea MJD, with 7K on the odo.

Suppose at a traffic signal >2 mins wait, I switch off the engine by turning the key back to STOP position from the usual MAR position while driving.

Now when i want to restart the car, I turn it from STOP position to MAR position, but after that when i want to turn on the ignition, key does not move. [ It happens in 70% times].
in 2nd /3rd attempt, by going to STOP --> MAR --> AVV position, it works and car starts.

[ This invites obvious honks from behind at signals]

Is this a normal behavious coming out of some safety precaution set by FIAT or a sure shot defect , which I should highlight to FIAT A$$ immediately. I fear , one day it might not start at signal at all
and other people around might break my pretty Linea!

It never happens in morning/evening starts from parking slots ...I mean starting after long gaps in hours.

Pls suggest / clarify this behaviour from your experience. I fear to go to TA$$ for anything.
Key in my Linea used to get stuck intermittently.
Then one fine day,i made the mistake of spraying WD-40 in the key slot(Strange since i have fixed a lot of key slots using WD-40),and it happened,the key would not turn at all.Got in touch with after sales and they quoted expenditure of around 10K and a One month waiting period to source the lock kit and key from Italy.You need to have the code card handy if you plan to take this route.I managed to start the car once and drove straight to the guy who does Flip keys for cars,and the he got the lock removed and repaired in 60 mins and charged 500 bucks,no problem since then.

PS-Your car is a 2012 and under warranty,take it up after sales and have the lock kit replaced with a new one.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 6th February 2013 at 18:31.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 19:12   #353
BHPian
 
forester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 71
Thanked: 142 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I am facing a strange problem with the ignition key , in my 2012 linea MJD, with 7K on the odo.

Well, I face the same issue quite often in my 2009 Petrol Linea E pk. And after a number of hit and trials, I have finally found a very simple solution to this.

When you turn the engine off by turning the key from AVV to the STOP position, then don't just halt at the STOP position. Instead, take the key completely out of the key hole and then insert it again. Now when you need to start the engine, rotate it all the way to AVV in one go, and start the car. The key would turn without any issues when done like this.

Also, like majority of the things need a lot of force in this car, rotating the key is no different affair. The key turns much smoothly when I insert it such that the FIAT logo on the key fob is towards me and not towards the speedometer. This way, you have much more surface area to apply force with your thumb as opposed to the case when the remote lock buttons are towards you, as they take up all the space on the remote and you cannot apply much twisting force with your thumb as it would lead to the accidental pressing of either of the buttons while doing so.

I think this should work for you as well. Please try and then report.
forester is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 23:48   #354
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 228
Thanked: 114 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

yes, will try tomm at the signal and let you know. Thanks.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 10:31   #355
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 228
Thanked: 114 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
Well, I face the same issue quite often in my 2009 Petrol Linea E pk. And after a number of hit and trials, I have finally found a very simple solution to this.

When you turn the engine off by turning the key from AVV to the STOP position, then don't just halt at the STOP position. Instead, take the key completely out of the key hole and then insert it again. Now when you need to start the engine, rotate it all the way to AVV in one go, and start the car. The key would turn without any issues when done like this.

I think this should work for you as well. Please try and then report.
Forester, I tried your solution in 2 signals consecutively , and it worked both times. Now am Wondering , is this a defect at all , or it is the right way , the key is expected to behave as per Fiat Design ?

Akshay - Definitely I will validate this with the Fiat engineer in my next service in March '13( I know one remotely) and dealer both. Will go for replacement route, if its a genuine issue , else I really dont like anyone to tamper with the factory finish car :-).

In the mean time, lets see what other Linea owners share with us on this issue if at all it exists in their machines. Good Day!
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 10:55   #356
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,858
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Forester, I tried your solution in 2 signals consecutively , and it worked both times. Now am Wondering , is this a defect at all , or it is the right way , the key is expected to behave as per Fiat Design ?

Akshay - Definitely I will validate this with the Fiat engineer in my next service in March '13( I know one remotely) and dealer both. Will go for replacement route, if its a genuine issue , else I really dont like anyone to tamper with the factory finish car :-).

In the mean time, lets see what other Linea owners share with us on this issue if at all it exists in their machines. Good Day!
Seems this is Normal and used to do it every time. It might be a design of the safety feature prevent from starting the already running engine.
what i do is, stop the car by turn the key to STOP position and immediately move to MAR position and wait, so that you can start from that position itself. Any how i'll chek it again in the evening and let you share the details.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 7th February 2013 at 10:57.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 11:02   #357
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 228
Thanked: 114 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
what i do is, stop the car by turn the key to STOP position and immediately move to MAR position and wait, so that you can start from that position itself. Any how i'll chek it again in the evening and let you share the details.
Yes actually in my case, it is stuck while trying to move from MAR to AVV posiition ...thats the issue. In your case, it seems that , you have not faced any issue while moving from MAR to AVV , even at signals ( without taking out key from hole) .

will wait for your checks ....
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 17:21   #358
Newbie
 
thumpingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ranchi
Posts: 19
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post

Yes actually in my case, it is stuck while trying to move from MAR to AVV posiition ...thats the issue. In your case, it seems that , you have not faced any issue while moving from MAR to AVV , even at signals ( without taking out key from hole) .

will wait for your checks ....
Amazing. I hope you are not turning the key too much when you reach the mar position. There's certainly a safety feature where the ignition key gets stuck if its not fully turned or turned a little more than the MAR. One has to bring it back to stop and turn it again and maybe remove the key fully from the keyhole and try again.
thumpingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 00:40   #359
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 1,080 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Now when i want to restart the car, I turn it from STOP position to MAR position, but after that when i want to turn on the ignition, key does not move. [ It happens in 70% times].
in 2nd /3rd attempt, by going to STOP --> MAR --> AVV position, it works and car starts.
It never happens in morning/evening starts from parking slots ...I mean starting after long gaps in hours.
This is how it works. When you switch off and keep it again in MAR position for a long it prevent further cranking of the engine.
Its the normal feature on all Puntos and Lineas.

All you need to do is tilt the key to total stop position i.e totally anticlockwise and then start the car normally by turning the key to ignition i.e clockwise.

I see that you stay in Pune. The pune signals are quite short. I would definetely tell you that you should stop the habit of switching off the engine at signals if you really want to save your turbo. You are not saving any fuel as such.

Also FYI fiat MJD engine has one of the lowest consumption i.e 560ml per hour while idling in AC. Please do the calculations accordingly.
amit_mechengg is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 18:11   #360
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 228
Thanked: 114 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea - Various niggling issues? Post your experiences here.

absolutely love the explanation of Amit and the rationale behind 'not switching off at Pune signals' . Yes , the turbo saving is more significant for me.

amazed at the idle fuel consumption of mjd , love it :-)
Amazing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Fiesta S - New Car rust and niggling issues: Need advice frankmehta Technical Stuff 28 5th October 2010 23:16
finally PTT(push to talk) is in INDIA. share your experiences here foby.sebastian Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 29th March 2010 14:56
Chevrolet Aveo 1.4: 10000 kms report and some niggling issues Raj'sGlory Long-Term Ownership Reviews 11 16th November 2009 12:34
My m800 and the various issues i'm having with it.. eternalck Technical Stuff 29 23rd November 2008 13:54
Speed Run '07 - Post pics, videos and your experiences here. salilpawar1 Indian Motorsport 285 25th September 2007 12:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks