Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th June 2009, 12:17   #1
BHPian

Default Maruti 1000 - Brakes lack the bite

My M1000 brakes lacks that bite in braking and I feel braking is not adequate. I got the disc brakes pads checked and rear drum brakes serviced. In service he cleaned drum cylinder with brake oil and did some other adjustment. Brake oil was not changed, they said it was fine. Still brakes were same. There was absolutely no difference in braking. I was living with this ineffective brake and after few months one day without any reason brakes started working quite good but it was just for one day. I also checked the brake compression test which is told in one t-bhp thread and brake pedal does go down when engine is started.

So before I show my brake problem to another mechanic, I wanted to know where the problem can be so that I can save myself from unnecessary expenses like one happened last time.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 14:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check the discs(rotors) for uneven wear, scoring, warping etc. likewise check the rear drums for uneven wear scoring etc. If necessary, have them cut. If they have worn out completely, you might do well to replace them.

Check the brake pads for uneven wear and adjust the calipers. Cleaning brake drums with petrol / brake fluid etc is a sheer waste of time, material & money. You may however have them scrubbed very lightly with very fine emery paper to remove dust etc.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 15:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check brake booster.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 15:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Check brake booster.
Nitrous, I think you've hit the nail right on the head.
Ravveendrra, any idea how long before the discs have to be replaced in a typical case scenario?
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 16:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Nitrous, I think you've hit the nail right on the head.
Ravveendrra, any idea how long before the discs have to be replaced in a typical case scenario?
Yep, even I'd like to know this. My 1995 Esteem also have a soft brake pedal and weak brakes.
hiren.mistry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 17:39   #6
BHPian

Brake booster is working as I checked it by test given by t-bhp members but maybe it’s weak. As of disc, I just now peeped into the wheel to see lots of lines on disc, so this can be resurfaced?

Name:  disc.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  44.0 KB

Last edited by Hashim : 11th June 2009 at 17:45.
Old 11th June 2009, 23:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
As of disc, I just now peeped into the wheel to see lots of lines on disc, so this can be resurfaced?
Wow! That looks like something from my uncles vinyl LP collection.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 23:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry about the minor scores on the disc. They're inevitable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim
Brake booster is working as I checked it by test given by t-bhp members but maybe it’s weak.
Almost Every booster works. But, the efficiency could have gone way down. Check the Booster Vacuum hose. And go through the booster thoroughly.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 00:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Brake booster is working as I checked it by test given by t-bhp members but maybe itís weak. As of disc, I just now peeped into the wheel to see lots of lines on disc, so this can be resurfaced?

Attachment 146840
Hey those lill lines are always there on all discs. One cannot make out the condition of a disc by looking through the wheel. More than the surface, disc problems come from the disc becoming uneven in thickness, getting warped, bent etc. When one cuts a disc, one gets rid of this uneveness.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 22:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hashim I think you need to change the booster, a weak booster leads to spongy brakes, new boosters are available for about 3500 RS. You will be happy with the result.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 23:39   #11
BHPian

Yes you are right, brakes are spongy too.. today while driving it went down floor a bit more than usual and scared me (this was first time it happened) but brakes were working. I am not getting time to visit the mechanic due to lots of work here but may go tomorow.

Recently I spent 3 k on clutch , 3.5k on AC and now this, this car is definately eating my bank balance slowly.
Old 15th June 2009, 17:32   #12
BHPian

Ok yet another bad day at mechanic. He checked the brakes and said disc need resurfacing. I agreed and got both front and rear drum re-surfaced. Rear right cylinder was leaking, changed it.

Name:  disc_smooth.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  54.3 KB

Result?

Brakes were same

Then he open front disc brake cylinder and they were jamm.. After cleaning I would say there is 1% improvement. Total money spent Rs.1600. Now when I was furious at the mechanic why brakes are no good still after wasting almost 4 hours, he said booster needs changing.

So finally she needs a new booster. My pocket was empty now so I returned home and after spending 4 hours at mechanic watching all this I could not go for anymore work now, so will get it done some other day.

Last edited by Hashim : 15th June 2009 at 17:34.
Old 16th June 2009, 16:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well a bad mechanic blames his tools, Go and change the servo you should be fine I have a maruti 1000 too and still on the original servo. So you wont have to look at it for 15 yrs if you change the servo.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 18:57   #14
BHPian

Brake booster and servo are different names of same thing here? Asking because you said to replace booster in your previous post.
Old 30th July 2011, 22:55   #15
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti 1000 - Brakes lack the bite

Reviving this old thread as what I noticed this monsoon is pretty amazing. Since last update of this thread I had not got anything done to the brake and they were pretty bad. No bite at all. But here is what I noticed a week back and confirmed it almost everyday as its raining almost daily here these days.

Since I park the car outside and it rains at night when I start driving the brakes work so good that even a slight touch on the brake pedal and car comes to halt. After a km or two this super braking power goes and brake becomes bad as they were before.

I notice this super good braking when I pass from water logged road, initially when wheels are very much wet, braking is poor but a stage comes when they start working great and when the wheels are completely dry, its bad again.

What I am making out from this is that brake pads when they are moist are working good and after drying they are not working good. So should I get the disc brake pads changed? I got them checked and they are not worn out but pretty old maybe 3+ years

Edit: I remember few months back once a mechanic offered a second hand brake booster and I got it swapped in condition that brakes should work. But there was no difference in braking so I got mine fixed back. Since then I was thinking something else to be wrong with the braking system

Last edited by Hashim : 30th July 2011 at 23:10.