Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd July 2009, 03:26   #46
BHPian

Very sorry to read about this fiery enzyme.

I suppose a full check up at M.A.S.S. is on the charts! I still suspect it to be the thermostat, that's it.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:48   #47
BHPian

Thanks Ankit! I'm planning to use another mechanic outside of MASS. I kinda lost my trust in their competency.
fiery enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Thanks Ankit! I'm planning to use another mechanic outside of MASS. I kinda lost my trust in their competency.
The other mechanic will have to start diagnosing from scratch!

I'd suggest that you go back to the MASS - and tell them that the problem that you paid them to fix is still unsolved. Then persevere (you can also lodge a complaint with Maruti customer care if you like).

Be it MASS or an independent mechanic, these issues take time to sort out.

PS: How do you think I cracked my head. An overheating car is
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:29   #49
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Lesson: Whenever you buy a used car have it completely and extensively serviced before you start using it.
Truly sorry to hear about this problem surfacing again fiery enzyme. I have burnt my fingers (and a lot of money) in the past when I bought a second hand M800. I had a similar overheating problem that surfaced occassionally. I tried to get it sorted out at MASS and also an independent garage but it still persisted.

The worse part was nobody could diagnose the problem correctly. The usual MASS that I went to kept checking the car, topping up the fluid and said, "all fine saar". Frustrated, I took her to another MASS outlet and the problem was traced to a blown head gasket.

It was replaced along with the radiator assembly at ~43,000 kms and I went on to use that car till I sold her off at ~75,000 and never had a problem with the cooling system of the engine again.

Try a different MASS to get your problem sorted out. It just might help.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

enzyme dont worry about these things. its anyway a minor issue and u got a good car for a ridiculously low price. so no harm spending a few hundreds to fix these tiny bits
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 17:31   #51
BHPian

Smile Resolved

Finally I got the issue sorted out.

It turned out to be clogged water jackets. The head was removed, all the carbon was removed and the jackets were cleaned. New gaskets and Mobil 1 later, the car is running like a dream. I did a Pondy trip to test the car and It held well over 15o kmph for prolonged periods with 5 people on board.

how - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1438115

Thanks to all guys who have helped with their advise through the ordeal.

Mods, this thread can be closed.
fiery enzyme is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 17:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Yipee! time for a party bala.
Also good that you did not replace the radiator. This is where Raghav has shown some enterprise.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 21:43   #53
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yipee! time for a party bala.
Also good that you did not replace the radiator. This is where Raghav has shown some enterprise.

Yup! Waiting for track day now.
fiery enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 18:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Default Engine Heating up...

During my last highway drive in Baleno, I have noticed that temperature needle kept raising upon continuously driving in the speeds of around 100-110 kmph for 10-12 minutes with AC. Switch off the AC, it will return to the correct position. If driven at similar speeds without AC, there wont be any issues, but if you increase the speeds to 120 KMPH, the temp needle will slowly raise even without AC.

Also if you maintain driving around 90-100-110 kmph for continuous 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs, slowly the needle will go up, where bringing down the speeds to 80 kmph will help to settle. Car has clocked around 5000 kms after last service which was done before 2 months. Planning to get it to workshop before which I would like to have some clues about this problem

Last edited by Surprise : 21st October 2010 at 18:45.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 19:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

The most common problem for this is a coolant leak which I think you wouldn't have overlooked. I generally would go in the order of checking thermostat valve, radiator, head gasket, cooling fan et all.Take a look at the radiator hose and see if it has developed any cracks.

Another problem seen often is a leaky head gasket.It usually allows the coolant to leak into the cylinders without showing any external leaks.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 20:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...erheating.html (Help! Baleno Overheating!)
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link...It didn't get covered with my search criteria :(

Last edited by Surprise : 22nd October 2010 at 11:07.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 00:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help! Baleno Overheating!

Freak thing happened to my car.

As I was parking at home, I suddenly felt the AC was not cooling enough. Wondered what it could be. Popped the bonnet. And noticed that the wires to the radiator fan was hanging loose ! So took it to MASS. What I had missed before was - the whole fan motor was missing !!!!

They said it seems to have come off it's mounting, melted maybe, and fallen off. It's been an extremely hot/humid May in Calcutta and the car does 100kms per day in this heat.

So the motor is nowhere to be found, while the fan blades are nestled inside the casing. I had till then not noticed the temp gauge. While returning from MASS, I drove under 1500rpm without AC. Gauge remained normal. Nearer home, when traffic got a bit dense, it went up to 75% and then I thankfully reached home.

A new fan has been ordered. Price, I am told, will be a bit less than Rs. 4000, and the part should arrive later this week.

ps: The SX4 fan apparently costs 16K !!!!!
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 11:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
So the motor is nowhere to be found, while the fan blades are nestled inside the casing.
The motor fan may have been stolen. I noticed that my bonnet was slightly higher than usual today morning. I have yet to pop the hood and check if all is okay.

One thing I did notice over the 8 years of owning my Esteem is that the engine doesn't get as hot as it used to - previously, it would consistently stay at the 50% mark on the temperature gauge but now it is usually lower even in summer with the AC running. With the monsoons, the gauge reads about 30%.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 11:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
The motor fan may have been stolen.
Nah. No chance of that happening. The car has been in secure locations of late.

The whole fan/motor assembly has been changed and my dear old steed is up an running once again
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote