Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th June 2005, 18:41   #1
BHPian

Default Suspension On Accent Crdi

hi i own a 2003accent crdi .. having done 23000 kms i wonder how long would the accent crdi suspension last considering the roads of mumbai ... just yesterday i was driving 2 lonavala on the expressway at about 100 km suddenlly, u kinda realise that there is one particular section where suddenly ure car goes dhud dhud n then u realise that the road is irregular with these iron or concrete bars sticking out at regular intervals for say 50 meters .

at those speeds u hardly can break for sudden loss of control also i would want 2 know if i there was some damage 2 the suspension as it feels a lot more lighter than before ... a feedbak would be appreciated....
abhijitnallani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 21:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Jus hope that it hasnt caused any damage have you felt any vibrations on the steering / on the floor of the car??? if yes best would be to go for an alignment and they will be able to point it to you faster than a mech can ...
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 06:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Suspension can last a while if used properly...my accent crdi has completed 42000kms and no problems yet on the suspension.

Those expressway joints are a majore pain...i have 14inch wheels...
Are there vibrations in the steering wheel? Check for bent rims.
The car feels light? Check tyre pressure.
Is the car pulling to one side? Get the alignment done.

If still not satisfied, drive another accent crdi and see how it feels.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 00:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

well my accent viva crdi has just touched the 40,000KMS mark this morning.

i just went Ananthagiri hills (vikarabad) say 35-40kms from Hyderabad, this morning just to have a proper check of the vehicle before i got it serviced this time. Mainly the suspension.

Let me tell you guys at around 38K odd kms i changed my stock tyres size 175/70-R13 to 195/60-R15 i know these are 7% larger in diameter, but them they were also michelin mxv8 great tyres and they fit in just fine with no issues. i completed the 2000kms on these tyres my trip to bangalore was done on these. i just cannot explain how wonderful the ride quality and comfort have changed to after this tyre upgrade. Especially the braking has drastically improved way beyond my expectations.

but now the problem arises, i never crossed 120kmph during my trip to bangalore because i was little skeptical with the bigger tyre size, and stayed cautious to make sure it does not touch the insides of the quater panels harming the tyre's side walls and it did not.

but today's drive made me realize my cars suspension has become weak over all this time, and could not stay at speeds beyond 130kmph, the suspension did not feel all that confident. but earlier i was able to do the same and keep going steady even at 150kmph on the highways.

now i am going to get my car serviced in a coupled of days and will ask one of the senior mechanics at the service center to properly inspect the suspension.

people please suggest me a few ways to check up suspension, any must ask questions to the mechanic at the service center about the same and help me find the problem.

are the 7% bigger tyres doing the foul play or if my car has its suspension screwed up is it safe enough to get the suspension done out side i mean a after market one, has any one done this before? on a Accent CRDI?

accent crdi owners please help me out and throw some light here based on your experiences please.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 22:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

guys i need help and fast please some one listening out there?

i am taking the car to the service center tomorrow so please pour in your suggestions and advices fast please.
Old 11th June 2008, 23:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitnallani View Post
hi i own a 2003accent crdi .. having done 23000 kms i wonder how long would the accent crdi suspension last considering the ...
If there is not insatability at high speeds or no vibrations, then the suspension is OK. Check the tyre pressure for the lightness.

@ rider60: I think that Overall Diameter ( OD ) of the wheels have increased by 7 %. Should not be a major worry. Checking the suspension will eliminate the doubts you have.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 10:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
If there is not insatability at high speeds or no vibrations, then the suspension is OK. Check the tyre pressure for the lightness.

@ rider60: I think that Overall Diameter ( OD ) of the wheels have increased by 7 %. Should not be a major worry. Checking the suspension will eliminate the doubts you have.

aaggoswami first thankyou for the reply, but please note, this is a two year old thread i did not want to start a new one on the same topic for my issue.
Old 12th June 2008, 11:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

Yash, i don't think bigger tyres would be the reason for you feeling that your suspension has gone weak. Get it checked at Lakshmi and i know a guy personally will share his contact info. he will certainly do a good job.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 00:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

update, i completed the 40k kms service last week, and got the alignment and balancing done too, to my surprise all the four wheels had lost the alignment and balancing. Yes accent has the adjustments on all four wheels.

so after the service the car felt much stable than before at the higher speeds, but the suspension has aged, its not as superb as it was in the mint condition, speeds above 140kmph still dint inspire any confidence, but thats okay i can still do steady 120kmph on the expressways with out issues.

after all the suspension still has alot of life left in it,
will keep you guys posted, on the condition time to time, thank you guys.