Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th June 2009, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Thumbs down Loud noise and vibration with A/C on Maruti Ritz

hi friends,
one of my colleague recently bought a Ritz (silver color) and was quite happy with it till he faced noise and vibrations while turning on and off the A/C unit.

He describes the noise as follows "on turning the Air Conditioning on or off, intermittently there is a very loud noise accompanied by strong vibration through out the car. The noise is akin to the noise which comes when a stretched spring breaks.This also happens when the A/C is switched on or off automatically by the thermostat. The occupants of the car suddenly get distracted due to this noise and ask if something is broken."

He has approached the dealer, but the dealer has to yet take any action, promised to send a person to check but no one has come so far to check.

What could be the reason behind this noise and vibration? what should he be looking for?

any help or clues appreciated.

Rajesh C

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 17th June 2009 at 12:14. Reason: had attached letter to maruti which had some sensitive information. Think I would rather not make it public now.
cs_rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 12:40   #2
BHPian

I have no clue about that noise it makes! May be experts can help.

Since it s a new car, ask him to take a day off and get the car fixed asap from the service center.
TomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 13:04   #3
BHPian

ouch! such issues in a BRAND NEW CAR!!
I am sorry I have no clue about what could be causing this, a trip to the service center should hopefully be of some use!
pradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 14:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Should be the thermostat switch going on and off. I'm sure Maruti guys would get it sorted out. Tell him not to worry. Such small things happen to cars even when new. Ask him to take it to the service centre and get it checked.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 14:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Something probably wrong with the compressor. I'm surprised to see this problem crop up in a new car, the service station ought to sort it out ASAP!!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 15:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm, the car was purchased from BIMAL who have a dubious record here on team-bhp. So your better off trying another service place as well.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 16:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
What could be the reason behind this noise and vibration?

Low quality stuff that comes out of the factory now a days..?
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 16:52   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Looks like it's time for a new thread. "Maruti Ritz-List of known problems".
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 17:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Low quality stuff that comes out of the factory now a days..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Looks like it's time for a new thread. "Maruti Ritz-List of known problems".

You guys should be drawn and quartered for blasphemy. Poor quality on MSIL cars? No way!!!!!

SeRiOuSlY!!!

On a serious note, my vote is for some twig / leaf / PVC sheet / foreign body lodged somewhere near the fan.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 18:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

Sounds like the compressor clutch is at fault, if confirmed go for a replacement and not a serviced unit.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 18:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oh Boy! Started, already ?! Maruti seems to have quality issues (not external and plastics) lately. Competition and delivery pressures are hampering the quality is it?
When the A-star was just launched I was somewhere in Kolhapur M.A.S.S. and they had an A-Star in the shed kept running. I asked why ? He said there have been complaints regarding some part after 5 - 6 hours of continuous running.

Its turning out to be 'pure luck', if you find a good, defect free new car, rather than 'manufacturer's reliability'.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 17th June 2009 at 18:27.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 19:03   #12
BHPian

I even had the kind of problem vibration in the fan motor assembly in my fiesta,after fan motor assembly was changed in warranty the problem was solved.
BAKIYA_2K12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 10:10   #13
BHPian

my friend is yet to go to the dealer. most probably today. Hope it is a minor issue. Will update when i have fresh news.

rajesh
Old 18th June 2009, 12:34   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian

From the looks of it, seems like the electromagnetic clutch used to engage/disengage the compressor is faulty. Considering that it is a new car, the dealer should replace it for free. This could be a one off case that happened with the Ritz.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 18:03   #15
BHPian

hello
post from friend Ashwani

"Hi all, I went to the service center and gave the car to them on Monday as was told by those guys. In the evening they called me saying that the problem is resolved and that they have replaced the compressor with a new one. WHen I reached and rested for sometime the problem was visible but after 20 minutes the sound started coming back again. I think that they never replaced the compressor and if they did, they do not know what is the issue. Intrestingly, when I was checking in the night, with an emergency light, whether they have replaced the compressor actuallly or not, I found out that the front bumper is broken because of overtightening of the screws. The Bumper plastic is very thin there and in my freinds ritz's bumper was also broken at such a point. Now they have asked me to wait for further information."

quite an ill-treatment by Bimal..