Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th August 2012, 20:54   #31
BHPian

Default Fuel pump problem in the 1.3L Multi-Jet diesels?

Hi I own a fiat palio multijet 1.3 SDX car 2008 model and i am the second owner of this car. So far the car has completed 75200 KMs.

Some days back the engine check light started to glow in my car. This was accompanied by the glow plug light blinking exactly 15 times. There was no drop in the performance of the car and i was able to drive around without any problem. I had spoken to the service adviser of prerana motors peenya (where my car is serviced regularly) about this warning light and he said i might be because of bad quality fuel and would go away once i re-fuel the next time. I too was fine with this reasoning as i had filled diesel at an unknown fuel station some days back.

On 16th of this month while i was on my way to my native some 400 KM away from bangalore my car fell in to a ditch when i avoided a head on collision with an on coming bus. There was some damage to front right door. But there was no problem to drive the car. While coming back from my native the engine would switch off if the RPM crossed 3000. It happened several times. I immediately spoke to the service adviser of prerana motors in peenya and he suggested me to drive at around 40-50 KMPH and reach bangalore so that they can check it in the service center.

The next day at the peenya service center the examiner showed problem with glow plug and high fuel pressure error code P2296. The errors were cleared and i was suggested to get the car some other day (as i didn't have a booking) to do a detailed diagnosis of the high fuel pressure error. As the car's body was to repaired because of the accident, i got the body work done at some other place and today i took the car to the prerana service center in peenya (with booking). There they replaced a glow plug and for the high fuel pressure error they replaced a sensor (its mentioned as 55195078 sensor - R/R cable harness cabin sensor in the bill). This sensor is present at the left end of the pipe from which the injectors are connected to the cylinder. The air filter assembly has to be removed to access this sensor.

This replacement of sensor seemed to have addressed the engine check light problem. After the sensor and the glow plug were replaced the engine was reviving freely and the RPM would go up to 5000+. We went for a test drive and the car felt to have some extra torque. I was charged 762.45+133 for glow plug and 3691.70 + 627 for replacing this sensor.

After i came home i had to venture out after 30 mins. then all of sudden the engine check light reappeared. i switched off the engine and when i restarted it was back to normal. but just to test i increased the RPM to around 3000 then the engine check light came back on at around 2800 RPM. But the enginer did not switch off and the max RPM that i could see was only 3500. i immediately called the service adviser and informed him about the engine check light.

Now he tells me that the problem might be with the fuel pump and we will have to send the fuel pump to some place in Maharashtra for repairs. i asked him if the 1.3 multijet engine was ever diagnosed with the fuel pump problem as i had heard that the old 1.9 diesel engine from fiat had this fuel pump problem and i have never heard about this problem with 1.3 multijet engine. he was like let me check with the engineer and will let you know tomorrow.

As the fiat 1.3 Multijet engine is used in different cars from different manufacturers, I request folks here who have come across or have heard about the fuel pump problem in Multijet engine to help me with the reason and possible solutions to fix this problem.

Appreciate your comments.
ant_vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 11:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fuel pump problem in multijet engined car?

This is not a common problem at least it is not commonly found in Maruti Swift, Dzire, SX4. I am owning a Swift VDI and have covered nearly 1L kms without any major issues.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fuel pump problem in multijet engined car?

@ ant vas, My cousin's 2007 Swift LDi did have a problem with it's fuel pump. It's not exactly what you have faced, but it was a problem with the fuel pump.

We were driving to Hassan from Bangalore on one evening last year. Suddenly the car began to choke and the stalled somewhere near Kunigal at around 10pm. Upon checking under the hood we smelt diesel and thought that the hose pipe supplying diesel could be cut/damaged. If the ignition was switched on, the pump would spray diesel all over the engine bay. Luckily for us, a friend was passing by and he towed us to Hassan in his i20.

The next day we parked the car at the MASS in Hassan and the SA tells us there there is a problem with the Fuel pump. Apparently, it had broken off a seal. He said that he had to send the pump to Bangalore for the repair and apparently, there was only one guy in Bangalore authorised to repair/service these pumps (Bosch) and that it would take atleast 15 days to get it repaired.

My cousin himself got the pump to the Service Center in Yeshwantpur, Bangalore and got it done (it took a week IIRC). Again took it back to Hassan and got it fitted. He paid around 8k for the repair. The swift had done about 85k kms at that time.

Btw, I too own a Swift VDi and it has run about 85k kms till date, but have faced no problems regarding the pump (touchwood).
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 22:46   #34
BHPian

Default Re: Do modern common-rails engines last like IDI/DI engines?

This is very interesting. I have come across Maruti Swifts that have run 90k kms. Not seen a Maruti DDIS Diesel running 3,00,000 kms. Even on this forum we have Esteem Diesels that have run 3,00,000 kms maximum. But some fellow Bhpians claim to have seen swifts with 2,00,000 kms on the Odo.
But I have come across old DI Scorpios and Boleros that have run 2,00,000 kms.
Amongst modern Diesels I have come across a Fiesta Diesel that had run 1,20,000 kms.
We also had a Ritz diesel named Blue Boomerang on this forum that had run 1,32,000 kms until its owner decided to sell it off.
I have come across Indicas that have run 1,00,000 kms.
Still this debate cannot be resolved so easily. Let us wait for a few more years so that we can come across modern cars that would have completed 4,00,000 kms.
Ashok Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I am owning a Swift VDI and have covered nearly 1L kms without any major issues.
Hi, do you still have this car, and how many KMs it has covered by now?
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 11:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
This is very interesting. I have come across Maruti Swifts that have run 90k kms. Not seen a Maruti DDIS Diesel running 3,00,000 kms. Even on this forum we have Esteem Diesels that have run 3,00,000 kms maximum. But some fellow Bhpians claim to have seen swifts with 2,00,000 kms on the Odo.
But I have come across old DI Scorpios and Boleros that have run 2,00,000 kms.
Amongst modern Diesels I have come across a Fiesta Diesel that had run 1,20,000 kms.
We also had a Ritz diesel named Blue Boomerang on this forum that had run 1,32,000 kms until its owner decided to sell it off.
I have come across Indicas that have run 1,00,000 kms.
Still this debate cannot be resolved so easily. Let us wait for a few more years so that we can come across modern cars that would have completed 4,00,000 kms.
Modern CRDI engines are lighter by design, as the pressure at ignition is much lower. In contrast the older engines were built quite heavy (with thicker walls etc) to sustain the high pressures. That is why the CRDI engines would not have as long a life as the older technology engines.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 12:40   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup the Blue Boomerang was my earlier ride.

A minor correction: The car clocked 1,07,959 kms before it was exchanged for Swift ZDi.

Quote:
4 lac kms for an average commuter will be difficult to reach unless he is more on the road rather than at work or home.

For me it took almost 3 years to reach that milestone with an average of 100+ kms a day. Not all can do it on their cars but I'm have seen some cars clicking 2lac+ kms.

I am trying to break past the odo reading of the Ritz in my Swift hopefully.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 20:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yup the Blue Boomerang was my earlier ride.

A minor correction: The car clocked 1,07,959 kms before it was exchanged for Swift ZDi.

4 lac kms for an average commuter will be difficult to reach unless he is more on the road rather than at work or home.

For me it took almost 3 years to reach that milestone with an average of 100+ kms a day. Not all can do it on their cars but I'm have seen some cars clicking 2lac+ kms.

I am trying to break past the odo reading of the Ritz in my Swift hopefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Modern CRDI engines are lighter by design, as the pressure at ignition is much lower. In contrast the older engines were built quite heavy (with thicker walls etc) to sustain the high pressures. That is why the CRDI engines would not have as long a life as the older technology engines.
Hi,
Kindly accept my deepest regards for your Blue Boomerang. He/she(whatever you called your Ritz) was an inspiration for many a car buyer to go for the Ritz Diesel. Even some of my friends purchased the Ritz directly without any second thoughts when I showed them your review.
1 lakh plus kms on any vehicle is a great achievement.
How is Blue Boomerang now?
Kindly keep posting more and more photos of the wonderful machine.
Some more photos of the odometer would be most welcome.

Modern CRDIs like Blue Boomerang may prove the notion wrong. Still even I feel that older Diesels would last longer when compared to these modern CRDIs because of the reason pointed out by Mr. Roy. Absence of so many electronic gadgets also makes older Diesels more long lasting.
Old 5th March 2015, 00:34   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

As much as i understand regarding the current generation cars/engines it all boils down onto the following:

1) Driving style;
2) Usage patterns;
3) Servicing schedule followed;
4) Mechanical empathy while driving;

Timely servicing is more than enough to prolong the life of the car. No need to go overboard with maintenence scheduled etc.

I agree with what Aroy is sarong which is another factor in engine life.

------------------------------

Quote:
Kindly accept my deepest regards for your Blue Boomerang. He/she (whatever you called your Ritz) was an inspiration for many a car buyer to go for the Ritz Diesel. Even some of my friends purchased the Ritz directly without any second thoughts when I showed them your review.
Thanks for the kind words Sir! I am happy that my ownership thread had helped and encourage buyers for the Ritz. I love that car too.

Quote:
How is Blue Boomerang now?
Sad to say that the Ritz has been sold and exchanged for Swift ZDi (Torque Blue).

Look at the link below to get the full story:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...0k-kms-up.html

Quote:
Some more photos of the odometer would be most welcome.
The last odometer picture that I have!

Name:  ForumRunner_20150305_002806.png
Views: 869
Size:  225.8 KB

To the MODS: Sorry for going OT.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th March 2015 at 00:36.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 08:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As much as i understand regarding the current generation cars/engines it all boils down onto the following:

1) Driving style;
2) Usage patterns;
3) Servicing schedule followed;
4) Mechanical empathy while driving;

Timely servicing is more than enough to prolong the life of the car. No need to go overboard with maintenence scheduled etc.

I agree with what Aroy is sarong which is another factor in engine life.

------------------------------

Thanks for the kind words Sir! I am happy that my ownership thread had helped and encourage buyers for the Ritz. I love that car too.

Sad to say that the Ritz has been sold and exchanged for Swift ZDi (Torque Blue).

Look at the link below to get the full story:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...0k-kms-up.html

The last odometer picture that I have!

Attachment 1346694

To the MODS: Sorry for going OT.
Thanks Anurag,
This pic was the motivation behind the purchase of many Dzire Diesels in our apartment. And this photo is 2-3 years old. The car might have run 2,00,000 kms by now.