Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th July 2009, 20:42   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
That device is the idle air control valve. It adjusts idle depending on load on engine.

I think he already got that replaced. It's a small valve below the throttle body.
My dad's 22 month old esteem is suffering from this problem. MASS says throttle body needs replacement. The car has done only 15K kms till date.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 22:41   #17
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
and something better in spark plugs whould be..??? spark plugs recomended by the manufacturer are good enough,thats why they have been recomended in the first place.
MUL usually use TVS plugs in most of their cars. A switch to better plugs like NGKs will definitely negate any problems if they are indeed related to the spark plug. Like amit has mentioned, he had noticed a difference on switching to NGKs.

Also an interesting thing to note is that manufacturers usually tend to stick to bare minimum specs when it comes to consumables like engine oils, spark plugs and if you do upgrade you will see a significant improvement in performance.

Guess, a check with a Tech 2 scanner is the only way to sort this out.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 14:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

any update on this issue Amit ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 15:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
any update on this issue Amit ?
not yet. didnt get time to visit the service station at all. i have to catch hold of a person named Mr.Joshi at phugewadi SAI Service station,Pune, who is a very senior person and Ex MUL employee. he trains all the service personnel in the ECU and engine dept.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 16:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

hi,
I am having a small trouble with my Ikon 1.3. Since last 4-5 times when I start the car, it starts revving by itself and goes upto 1500rpm when in motion without the accelerator being pressed have to control it by braking but then it gets normal after some running. I am wondering what is the reason?
Is it because I am starting the enging after 4-5 days.The car generally comes out only during the weekends?
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 20:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
hi,
I am having a small trouble with my Ikon 1.3. Since last 4-5 times when I start the car, it starts revving by itself and goes upto 1500rpm when in motion without the accelerator being pressed have to control it by braking but then it gets normal after some running. I am wondering what is the reason?
Is it because I am starting the enging after 4-5 days.The car generally comes out only during the weekends?
it happens on every car when the engine is started in cold condition. its the auto choke because of which extra fuel is pumped in the engine during cold start. this is to protect the engine by providing lubrication.
its very normal. dont worry. infact its good that everything is functioning properly
Old 21st July 2009, 11:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
it happens on every car when the engine is started in cold condition. its the auto choke because of which extra fuel is pumped in the engine during cold start. this is to protect the engine by providing lubrication.
its very normal. dont worry. infact its good that everything is functioning properly
Thank you Amit, I was guessing it to be the same that it might be because of the cold start, but did not know of the auto choke thing. thanks a lot. So, I really dont have anything to worry about.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 22:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Any update on the issue Amit ?
Old 23rd August 2009, 17:43   #24
BHPian

Hi, I experienced a similar problem last night.

The RPM dropped well below normal ( normal being 800 idle) when I turnd the headlights on and the engine turned off automatically.

I drove without the healight and it was fine. Happened, inbetween shifting gears when i eased up on the accelerator. happend twice.

1. Alternator is 5 months old, replaced by A.S.S and they did tell me it comes with a years warranty
2. The battery, bosch super 4 plugs around 4 months old
3. The coil pack, plug wires are 8 months old.

I dont know what caused this. i have not changed or upgraded anything to cause more load. This was with the AC off !
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 17:15   #25
BHPian

just an update, now the engine does not turn off when i turn the headlights on.
the rpm at idling drops very low sometimes ( not always ). The horn also sounds sometimes as though its dying. not always though. this also very rarely
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 22:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
just an update, now the engine does not turn off when i turn the headlights on.
the rpm at idling drops very low sometimes ( not always ). The horn also sounds sometimes as though its dying. not always though. this also very rarely
Even my car horn dies specially when i turn on the AC!
Old 7th September 2009, 22:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

no updates. tried a lot. it doesnt go. i have decided to live with it.
Old 7th September 2009, 22:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
no updates. tried a lot. it doesnt go. i have decided to live with it.
Have ya tried replacing the spark plugs ?

I am going to change the spark plugs and check the wiring by removing after market electrical equipment one by one to see if any of them is causing the problem.
Old 7th September 2009, 23:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Have ya tried replacing the spark plugs ?

I am going to change the spark plugs and check the wiring by removing after market electrical equipment one by one to see if any of them is causing the problem.
i have put ngk g power platinum tip sparkplugs. after the sparkplug change this reduced to a small extent but not completely gone.

i know one thing. its not due to any another equipment. its solely due to headlights. i have 2 amlifiers, sub and other 12v gadgets. but this has started only after putting the 100-90 bulbs.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:36   #30
BHPian

Few posts before. It was mentioned that this probelm is due to extra power required by headlights. It is mostly true as headlights starts drawing 200W instead of 120W compared to OEM bulbs. Now this extra power required makes rev higher to get more juice from alternator.

A suggestion would be to higher the idle a little. It might stop the fluctuations.

Also, as the car gets older, A.S.S tend to set the idle higher. Not sure Why?
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote