Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th July 2009, 18:49   #1
BHPian

Unhappy A possessed Swift ? - Engine Off, RPM at 3k, Radiator Fan ON

Nope..It was not the case of over heating. Temperature was well within limit, radiator coolant level to the maximum, no liquid leakages.

It happened yesterday, on the way to Bangalore from Tirupathi with a couple of my friends.I filled petrol from an Indian Oil CoCo pump neat Chittor and proceed towards Bangalore. Covering some 50-60KM , Car (Swift P) starts to misfire all of a sudden, RPM goes up to 3K and remains there, car shudders like seen a ghost! I immediately stopped the car, shut the engine off only to find that RPM shows around 3K and the radiator fan is running in its full glory! Temperature is within limit, No engine light warning came up, no other visible issue are seen.

I immediately called up Lokesh at Suraksha and as per his suggestions checked the accelarator cable, any fluid leakages etc etc. Finding nothing, he advices me to wait for some 15-30 minutes and check the radiator coolant level, fill it if required and place a wet thick cotton on it, as he suspected the entire issue could be because of overheating. Radiator cap was warm, but not red hot. I placed a wet cloth on top of the radiotor cap and waited for 30 minutes. After finding it cool, I carefully opened the cap and checked the level. It was full an to the brim and the water was cold!

Now, this got me and Lokesh also equally confused.Myself and lokesh also tried various ways to get a on-the spot help from maruti, but nothing worked out.Lokesh suggested me to drive back to bangalore keeping a tab on the temperature level and call him once I reach city limits.

I reach the driver door and find that its not getting locked!!! Locking machanism is gone for a toss and I say myself..'its possessed..'!
Wasted somemore time to fix it, tied the RHS front and rear pillers together with another piece of cloth and started to drive back,albeit very slowly. Car was grunting all along, power taking a beat and very audible metallic 'krrrr..' sound as I press the accelarator.Some 15 minutes into drive, surprise !!! All of a sudden car sprung back into life - as it had some exorcism performed on it!! RPM settled between 1 and 2, no more shudders, smooth power delivery!

Today I sent the car for inspection to Suraksha and explained the whole thing. Report is that mysteriously everything is fine with the car at present. I had told them about a possible fuel adultration, but the fuel filer shows no deposits and everything is fine in that angle. Except that the door lock thingy need to be replaced, they are also clueless about the
other issues I faced.

What do you all think?? What could have been the issue? I am worried as this issue is not yet traced or could be reproduced and can recur anytime. Any wild thoughts??

Last edited by menonrajesh : 6th July 2009 at 18:51.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 19:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

That's really scary

How old is your car and whats the no.of kms covered till date?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

I know exactly what went wrong; first check if the lemon+chilli combo is still hanging in the front.

It will not be!

On a serious note: What the heck!
Looks like something got stuck somewhere and then got cleared later.
Very strange indeed!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 6th July 2009 at 19:46.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 23:41   #4
BHPian

@Surprise, car will turn 3 year old by September. It has covered 32k so far. This so far is the first 'strange' issue I have faced.

@HappyWheels, you bet! I even checked for the 'deadly combi' when the car was cooling its wheels

I got the car back by evening from Surakshaa. Front door latch assembly had to be replaced and set me off by 1.5k. Additionally they checked fuel filter, emptied the petrol tank, tested in varying speeds and what not. Everything is perfect and they are still clueless what might have gone wrong! Looks like I need to wait till it surfaces once again..

Last edited by menonrajesh : 6th July 2009 at 23:43.
Old 7th July 2009, 11:14   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Strange things happen at times to our beloved vehicles. Worst part is when you take it to an A.S.S the problem seems to vanish. Just to be on the safer side, its best you do not go for any long drives and check to see if this problem resurfaces again in the city.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 16:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

that's scary. may be the radiator was blocked for some and then cleared off. get a radiator flush too...(bad advise i guess :-)
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 17:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Check the cars injectors, fuel lines, filters, all electrical connectors/lines, door switch (especially if you have remote lock, this is for door issue) and finally ignition circuits.

I feel it might not be a cooling circuit issue.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 17:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Did they check the petrol ? Checking fuel filter alone will not do. Take a sample of the fuel inside & have it examined.

Or you might not have given enough to the tirupati deity.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 17:20   #9
BHPian

Could it be some jamming of the ECU from any external electrical interference ??
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 10:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like an electrical matter involving the ECU.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 10:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

As other said Engine RPM is controlled by ECU so engine at 3K means ECU problem , Did you ask them to connect scanner and check.

Is it that there are so many problems in Swift or they are just more visible due to Swift being a very high volume car ?
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 20:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
As other said Engine RPM is controlled by ECU so engine at 3K means ECU problem , Did you ask them to connect scanner and check.
Pardon my ignorance - What is this scanner? You meant the 'Tech-2'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Did they check the petrol ? Checking fuel filter alone will not do. Take a sample of the fuel inside & have it examined.
Yes. They checked the petrol, cleaned the tank too. Petrol reported to be clean and tank had no sediments!

Quote:
Or you might not have given enough to the tirupati deity.
hahaha..The irony is that I visited Kanippakkam Vinayaka temple which is famous for vehicles flocking to get pooja done, just before this incident happened !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check the cars injectors, fuel lines, filters, all electrical connectors/lines, door switch (especially if you have remote lock, this is for door issue) and finally ignition circuits.

I feel it might not be a cooling circuit issue.
I think, I will ask MASS in detail about the dignostic tests carried out.
I was told that fule filter, tank, ECU - everything was checked. But will cros check, as per yourr lines. Thanks!
Old 8th July 2009, 21:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Electrical short ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Looks like an electrical matter involving the ECU.

This has all the symptoms of an electrical short-circuit or malfunction. Please get the wiring checked and ask them to check for possible shorting someplace.

I faced an issue once with my Gypsy, where i switched off the ignition key, and the engine continued revving high, with the headlight also on. I was taken aback for a moment...but fortunately it switched off after a couple of seconds. I need to get the electricals checked for sure.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 8th July 2009 at 21:03.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 21:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
a
I faced an issue once with my Gypsy, where i switched off the ignition key, and the engine continued revving high, with the headlight also on. I was taken aback for a moment...but fortunately it switched off after a couple of seconds. I need to get the electricals checked for sure.
Is it a carbed engine? if so check the carb butterfly and accelerator cable for jamming.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 13:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
accelerator cable for jamming.
yeah! This is what MASS asked me to check in first place, when I reported the issue over phone. However it was fine in my case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

This has all the symptoms of an electrical short-circuit or malfunction. Please get the wiring checked and ask them to check for possible shorting someplace.

One of my friend faced similar issue in his Wagon R when his headlights never got switched off. It stayed on for quite sometime, but got switched off, on its own by luck, before his battery got drained out! It was diagnosed to be an electrical malfunction.

I am planning to take the car to MASS once again and check all sort of possibilities. Unfortunately this week I am travelling to Kerala, so it will be next week. Wondering how they can check for the electrical issues, which currently is not apparent?

Last edited by menonrajesh : 9th July 2009 at 13:25.