Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th July 2009, 23:46   #1
BHPian

Default Poorly maintained '05 Accent CRDi - Engine self-destructed

hi
i own a 2005 accent viva crdi (forest dew- stupid color)
it has done some 116*** kms . it was earlier owned by my brother who maintenance (or lack of it) has led to some serious issues in the car like
1. lack of response
2. low FE (read 300kms in rs1000 worth of diesel)
3 smoke
4. axle issues
5. rear suspension
6. rattles here and there

and today i went to the service station(MGF Hyundai patparganj) as the car wasnt giving good performance and was taking like a minute of cranking to start(wanted to change the glowplugs and get a decarb done). due to excessive load at the service station i was given an appointment for tomorrow. i was returning and like 3kms away i felt like one cylinder just shut down . i revved i little to get the car on the side and heard some rattling noise from the engine and then ka-boom some loud rattles accompanied by heavy vibrations and the car shut down. so just towed it to the service station and waiting for the diagnosis . the initial one says that "there might be engine back compression. and timing belt issues."

P.S. my elder brother has run the car on 2 stock glow-plugs and one local one as a make shift for some time (and now he tells me)

please help.............also suggest other garages in delhi where i can get this problem rectified as hyundai is gonna cost of a bomb. i was looking to use this car for a some performance modds please suggest for the same too.
hellraiser_yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 11:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser_yank View Post
it was earlier owned by my brother who maintenance (or lack of it) has led to some serious issues in the car
Quote:
my elder brother has run the car on 2 stock glow-plugs and one local one as a make shift for some time (and now he tells me)
Your brother needs to get onto Team-BHP! We could teach him a thing or two about car maintenance.

Your engine is basically toast. 1.16 lakh kms for a poorly maintained diesel is pretty much as long as they'll go.

You need a complete engine rebuild. I'd suggest using the authorised channel itself for such a massive job (more so because its a diesel engine).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 11:51   #3
BHPian

Unhappy

arghh!
and i thought of putting a TDC , intakes and FFE on this one, crap
any idea how much damage does"Your engine is basically toast" mean . like can i still use this car for my project. and i know this is stupid but will it be worth spending what i think i will have to spend oin the car to get it running.

finally a get a midsize which used to be a hell of a performer and bang it breaks down.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th July 2009 at 12:32. Reason: Excessive smilie usage, only 2 per post. Go through Announcements before you proceed. Thanks
Old 7th July 2009, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your motor is gone thats what I think.
Looks like the car was used quite roughly and hence this outcome.
The engine rebuild will cost you much for sure, but get it done from Hyundai. Its clear that the rebuild job will not be as good as factory job, but will certainly be much better and reliable than any unauthorized garage shop.
Does Viva have belt and is it an interference engine ? If yes, be prepared for a very handsome bill. In case the timing belt broke down and if engine is interference, the pistons, connecting rod and valves will be affected. Hope that crank is OK.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 7th July 2009 at 12:28.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 12:34   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

The Accent CRDi is not a Hyundai engine but one sourced from Detroit Diesel. The same is used in some of the Stteter Concrete mixers mounted on trucks. The engine is used to drive the mixer. Check with someone who repairs these engines. Maybe cheaper than Hyundai.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 12:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Your motor is gone thats what I think.
==============
Hope that crank is OK.
i guess there is a timing belt involved . got it changed last in march this year from hyundai.

@mods sorry. my bad. got carried away..
Old 17th July 2009, 19:01   #7
BHPian

just got the car back from the workshop.
list of new components
Completely new set of valves.
new rockers
new camshaft
new head gasket

the pictures of the old components are attached.
what really happened was that one of the valves broke in the centre cylinder and somehow dug into the piston . damaging the piston, the head, the valve assembly, rockers and the camshaft
Attached Thumbnails
Poorly maintained '05 Accent CRDi - Engine self-destructed-img090.jpg  

Poorly maintained '05 Accent CRDi - Engine self-destructed-img088.jpg  

Poorly maintained '05 Accent CRDi - Engine self-destructed-img074.jpg  

Poorly maintained '05 Accent CRDi - Engine self-destructed-img082.jpg  

Poorly maintained '05 Accent CRDi - Engine self-destructed-img079.jpg  

Poorly maintained '05 Accent CRDi - Engine self-destructed-img078.jpg  

Old 17th July 2009, 22:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

How is the performance now? What is the damage?
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 22:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ouch!!

That looks bad!

What does the service centre say? What is the reason for this happening? Is it a mantainence issue or engine weakness?

What are the costs you are looking at?
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 23:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Did they say what caused it? I mean, like no maintenance, bad driving skill etc?

And the bill will be?

And ease on the accelerator pedal till you get it run in for a thousand or so.

Abhij !

Last edited by jkdas : 17th July 2009 at 23:03.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 23:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser_yank View Post
just got the car back from the workshop.
list of new components
new rockers
new camshaft
new head gasket

the pictures of the old components are attached.
what really happened was that one of the valves broke in the centre cylinder and somehow dug into the piston . damaging the piston, the head, the valve assembly, rockers and the camshaft
Glad you don't need a new cylinder head, as per the list above. THe other parts and repair should set you back by about 10-15K (each of the 12 rockers is Rs.400, camshaft is 3k - prices are at non-Hyundai spares shop, for genuine Hyundai spares). I broke a rocker and damaged the cam sometime ago - read about it in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-till-now.html.

If you need help to procure spares and sort out the repairs with a competent mechanic outside of Hyundai, please PM me.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 00:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
How is the performance now? What is the damage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Ouch!!

That looks bad!

What does the service centre say? What is the reason for this happening? Is it a mantainence issue or engine weakness?

What are the costs you are looking at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Did they say what caused it? I mean, like no maintenance, bad driving skill etc?

And the bill will be?

And ease on the accelerator pedal till you get it run in for a thousand or so.

Abhij !
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Glad you don't need a new cylinder head, as per the list above. THe other parts and repair should set you back by about 10-15K (each of the 12 rockers is Rs.400, camshaft is 3k - prices are at non-Hyundai spares shop, for genuine Hyundai spares). I broke a rocker and damaged the cam sometime ago - read about it in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-till-now.html.

If you need help to procure spares and sort out the repairs with a competent mechanic outside of Hyundai, please PM me.
performance is back to the usual accent but lacks due to the clutch work which is due. both the plates and the bearing have to be changed .

the issue is due to some rough driving all these 116k+ kms and also due to some technical issue with the engine layout (read 3 cylinder).it did cost me a fortune.and the mechanic has said that i dont need to do a run-in as no part which generates friction has been replaced.

@ss-traveler - yes the rockers are broken in the same manner as yours and so is the damage to the camshaft. in my case a valve also broke worsening the damage.

list of new components

Quote:
new rockers
new camshaft
new head gasket
Attached Thumbnails
Poorly maintained '05 Accent CRDi - Engine self-destructed-img077.jpg  

Poorly maintained '05 Accent CRDi - Engine self-destructed-img084.jpg  

Old 18th July 2009, 03:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Better do a runnin routine cause the valves are brand new and you just need to make sure that they sit correctly
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 09:33   #14
Team-BHP Support

I agree with most folks, do ensure a run-in for the first 1k kms to let all the new components settle in. You seem to shy away from the cost details.

Can you PM me what parts changed and respective pricing since i too own the same car so mighty curious about it.

Btw, i have done 42K kms till date and is Oct 2006 model which means you guys (incl.SS traveller) have munched quite a bit of miles
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 14:36   #15
BHPian

I am planning to get my car go for the 4th service at 36K. guys any help what should i primarily get the mechanic checked or needs to be replaced. My dashboard needs tightening of screws as it makes some noise.... The rear glass makes rattling noise while being on low gear.. Breaks are OK but in last service i had to get my rear brakes changed as they broke (Wonder how). Shocker changed front left one.
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote