Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th July 2009, 15:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
The average highway economy is around 16-17kmpl on my OHC VTEC, the max that iv achieved is 21kmpl.

The trick is not in staying in the highest gear possible, but choosing the right gear depending on load and vehicle speed.

Shan2nu
To put it more simply and more easy to execute: choose the highest possible gear that allows you to move the car with just a feather weight on the accelerator pedal.

The moment you put on 5th, and start pressing the accelerator because you feel its gonna stall, you are burning more fuel.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
NOT AT ALL. going by some figures quoted here. i have done this 25% throttle thing many many times to check what best i get. havent found any dramatic difference.

with 195 profile tyres+ FFE and if i drive very sedately ( like supreme baleno ) - i get 8kmpl in Chennai traffic and used to get 10kmpl in gurgaon and max 12.5kmpl in highway in my 1.5EXI

there must be something fundamentally wrong with my car if the figures quoted above are possible

I am getting around 10.5-11.5 KMPL in chennai city driving conditions with 100% AC in my 2001 OHC 1.5 EXI. I drive sedate most of the time and there are sudden surges aswell.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

21kmpl!!!!! Wowowow!

My 2001 1.3 gives me 11-11.5 inside Blore and 13.5-14.5 on the highway, with the rare 15-16 on trips with v easy, sedate driving. On occasion, I've seen 12.5 on highway trips as well!
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:29   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
The average highway economy is around 16-17kmpl on my OHC VTEC, the max that iv achieved is 21kmpl.

The trick is not in staying in the highest gear possible, but choosing the right gear depending on load and vehicle speed.

Shan2nu
That's amazing economy but are you sure? Most people are getting less. What method do you use to calculate?
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 01:55   #20
BHPian

I usually do not get anything under 13kmpl in city and an easy 15-16kmpl on highways. Not to forget that I don't have a very sedate driving style, but I otherwise do make sure to upshift between 2-2.5k RPM and downshift appropriately.

@Narayan, bro I had NO IDEA you got such low figures. And if I'm not mistaken, every car has a certain speed and RPM to follow in which to get maximum FE, driving slow would not compensate for this.

IMHO the OHC brings you best FE if driven between 70 - 100 kmph on a highway. And as Shan2nu mentioned, for the city, correct RPM / gearing is what's best. I totally agree with his comments.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 08:54   #21
BHPian

Dear All,

Apart from driving style & city conditions, does any technical factors influence fuel economy?

I believe 14 kmpl in city and 17 kmpl on Highway are acceptable numbers for OHC 1.3.

If you see my first post, I have given information about my car. Please suggest any improvements to get better mileage.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
tmnraghu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 09:14   #22
BHPian

It depends a lot on driving style. The car has been recently serviced and air pressure etc seem alright. but traffic, the way you select your gears, heavy braking , rapid acceleration etc all play an important role when you are trying to squeeze out every iota of 'average'.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 09:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To put it more simply and more easy to execute: choose the highest possible gear that allows you to move the car with just a feather weight on the accelerator pedal.

The moment you put on 5th, and start pressing the accelerator because you feel its gonna stall, you are burning more fuel.
Yep, thats how it works. And it varies from car to car. Some cars might not even need 25% throttle (if they have a strong low end).

So my advise would be to study the charateristic of your car and then decide how much throttle you need and what gear to shift into.

Quote:
That's amazing economy but are you sure? Most people are getting less. What method do you use to calculate?
Yup, im sure. I did a full tank to full tank test to calculate it. Total distance covered was 410kms, fuel consumed was 19.5ltrs, which equates to 21kmpl.

Another thing that id like to mention is that apart from my driving style, i've also made it a habit of filling 34psi in my tyres (195/60 R14). This would def make a diff in FE, compared to running 29-30psi.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Heh, I used to get around 7kmpl. Havent measured after FFE, though it has gone up...
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 13:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys what petrol are you filling up in your OHC???!!! I used to get 9-10 in city driving; then i put FFE and the works and the FE marginally increased. However, with the FFE, i have started driving a little differently than my usual style just to enjoy the acceleration punch... Thus my FE has gone back to 9.
Do you think there is something wrong with my car? I am more of a accelerate - brake kind of a driver nowadays... Or is it ok with my kinda driving?
You guys should be happy with what you'll are getting. If i ever get anything above 12 under any conditions, i would jump with joy!!!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 13:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

It all comes down to driving style.

I had posted my experience with the Innova in another thread some months ago. During a trip to Mangalore, i tested the fuel economy charactertics of the vehicle.

On the way to Mlore i used full throttle but made sure i stayed in the higher gears. Result was that i got a FE of just 8kmpl over a range of 400kms. On the way back, i drove with mild throttle and stifted to the required gear when nesessary and was surprised to see that the same vehicle had now given me 14.5kmpl over the same stretch of road!!!

This is when i reasiled that throttle pressure and engine load are way more important than just staying in 5th gear all the time.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 14:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Guys what petrol are you filling up in your OHC???!!! I used to get 9-10 in city driving; then i put FFE and the works and the FE marginally increased. However, with the FFE, i have started driving a little differently than my usual style just to enjoy the acceleration punch... Thus my FE has gone back to 9.
Do you think there is something wrong with my car? I am more of a accelerate - brake kind of a driver nowadays... Or is it ok with my kinda driving?
You guys should be happy with what you'll are getting. If i ever get anything above 12 under any conditions, i would jump with joy!!!
Don't worry I also get those figures in the city driving.

Have you checked highway figures?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 14:36   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Don't worry I also get those figures in the city driving.

Have you checked highway figures?
They are the same cause i'm always pushing the car on the expressway, albeit not to crazy limits that some people do...
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 14:53   #29

Hey Guys,

I have a similar problem with my 2002 OHC 1.5 exi. Mileage is between 8-9 kms avg in city without A/c, but have'nt checked the highway.

I too have a sedate driving style and do not revv unless required. I normally drive during high traffic conditions between Vijayanagar to Sarjapur road (any Banglorean would understand my pain).

I just happen to read this thread earlier and did follow the suggestion posted like changing right gears at right RPM (2-2.5K), speed between 60-70 kmph. But has not made any difference.

I'm planning to change my air filters to K&N stock replacement and replace the spark pluge to platinum irridium 4 way plugs, would that make any difference in the FE.

What would be ideal FE for a stock OHC 1.5 exi in city conditions and highway

Would appreciate any suggestions to improve the FE of my ride.

PS: i envy the OHC owners who are getting a mileage of 13-14 in city condition but would love to see my ride's FE increase to atleast 11-12
Speedzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 02:19   #30
BHPian

I my self have got [once] around 16 -17 on my Type 1 OHC 1.3.
Had 5 people in the car & AC on 100%

And i wasn't trying to keep the FE high.

Tanked up at Sion [I think the bill was for Rs. 2135]
Tanked up again at Mapusa [filled in 35.18 or was it 35.48 litres of petrol]

according to the trip meter, i did around 600+ km
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote