Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th June 2005, 11:22   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Electrical blues

Hi,
Some time back my indica had started giving occasional starting problems. Sometimes, maybe once in 4-5 days it would not start. This problem had absolutely no correlation to how long the car had been parked. At that time i was in bangalore and on workshop suggestion got the battery changed since it was not building up enough charge and nearly at end of life. So i got the panasonic battery fitted. It has battery charge indicator. About 2 days earlier i parked the car for approx 10 min and when i came back it didn't start. So i popped open the hood and saw that the battery was flat! So we pushed the car and it started. After driving around for almost 2 hours, when we switched off the car and tried to start again, it wouldn't start. The battery was still flat. So i left the car overnight and next morning the mechanic came. Again car was push started and after half an hour it was seen that the battery had fully charged! There was absolutely no problem!
What the mechanic said that there may be some wire inside which has insulation problems. Sometimes it comes in contact with the car body and therefore drains the battery completely. He advised a check from an authorised service station.

So now my problem is where to get this fixed in delhi. This problem could not be resolved by the dealer in bangalore(Prerna). I think i need a very expirienced electrician for this. Any suggestions where to go around Noida/South delhi? It need not be a auth service station, i need a good guy. Also can anyone of you guys point out what could be the possible issues here?
The starter motor is okay
The battery is okay
Its just that sometimes it gets drained on its own and then does not get charged for some time and whenever mechanic comes it works fine.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 11:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dude, looks like you have a short circuit somewhere which is draining the battery - as you said the battery seems to be charging when the engine is running, so it cant be an alternator issue.

Electricals can be painful, especially when you're looking for a short circuit in a few kilometers of wire....
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 11:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Try looking at items which take a lot of current and work when the engine is off:

Stereo ?
Lights?
Glowplugs ?
Starter Motor ?

Take the fuses out of some of them as soon as you park and eliminate the culprit accordingly.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2005, 11:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

UPDATE
I went to the workshop and they say battery is gone. They tried charging for 8 hours and the battery indicator still shows low. Looks like after my exide failed the second battery i got was a dud. But its in warranty so no issues. What i am worried is that is it possible that this battery got damaged due to some fault in alternator or something, Or its just a case of getting a new battery which was faulty.
Old 27th June 2005, 16:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Another update,
Sorry for trouble folks, but it seems battery is okay. Its just that very very rarely the alternator is providing 10 volts to battery. Most of the times it gives 13+ but occasionally the output drops below 10. Went to the battery shop and he put the voltmeter and showed me. Went to tata workshop, there the voltmeter showed 13.5+ consistantly!! And this is within a span of 15 minutes. No matter how many times we restarted the car the alternator did not act up. But the workshop guys say that they believe me and they will open the alternator and check the regulator. This problem is the only and the worst major fault in the cars history, and the irony is it never shows up at the workshop but many times i have been stranded due to battery not getting charged. Any fellow Tata owners got this alternator charging problem where voltage drop was occaisonal?