Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th June 2010, 13:13   #226
MCR
BHPian

After 7 months of ownership, I am coming across a niggle in my car.
Whenever I drive on small road undulations / road humps, I can hear a "rolling" kind of noise from underbody. The noise is like "if you put a small stone in a steel container and shake". The noise can be heard only when I am seated in the front seat and not at all audible in the rear. Have planned a visit to service station tomorrow.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 13:52   #227
Senior - BHPian

I've faced steering lock issues in my earlier M800 also. There are certain positions of the steering where the key won't turn.

Turn the steering slightly if the steering appears to be "locked".
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 14:10   #228
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
After 7 months of ownership, I am coming across a niggle in my car.
Whenever I drive on small road undulations / road humps, I can hear a "rolling" kind of noise from underbody. The noise is like "if you put a small stone in a steel container and shake". The noise can be heard only when I am seated in the front seat and not at all audible in the rear. Have planned a visit to service station tomorrow.

The service centre of URS kar was really helpful in sorting the issue. They just lubricated the "C" arm of the suspension joint and voila, the problem was gone. Have driven close to 300kms now after service and no issues.
Old 4th July 2010, 19:49   #229
BHPian

Dear friends , sorry for the long absence.Firstly ,my punto is eating roads for breakfast ,lunch and dinner and giving me the all the delight so very missing until i owned this machine.Now as regards the problems i have posted earlier viz, the semi functional ac and malfunctioning front gate locks ,now both is ok,and ofcourse it needed the mail to fiat service and a lot of emotional stress ,mind it , i really love my car.
Fiat guys do take the customer complaints very seriously and they should be commended for the same .
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 19:57   #230
BHPian

Dear Sir,
This is in reference to your complaint received by us through
email ref. No 1-9759436925 dated 23/06/10.

It is just to inform you that we are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you but we have diagnosed and done the needful i.e. we have resolved your A/C and DOOR problem on dtd. 24/06/10.

Therefore we are closing the same and if there is any query kindly contact CRO on Tel. no. 9455792820. Satisfaction note attached.

Thanks and regards

Devendra Pratap Singh
CRO

This mail , I got after i sent a very strongly worded mail to the fiat service, all i want to add is that fiat owners do need to mail the fiat service if they face any serious trouble at the hands of dealers and rest assured that people out there would definitely listen to it.
Brijlax did not charge a penny for okaying my A.C. and the door locks ,even the ac refrigerant was charged free of cost ,
Old 4th July 2010, 20:02   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I also had the rear left shocker making a thud whenever I went through a pothole. Took the mechanic on ride with me and made him hear it. When he was not driving it the sound did not come. If you take it slower over the potholes and speed breakers the sound is not there in my case.

Rubber beading falling off was there in my car also. They took care of it.

Get the locks replaced under warranty.

Engine waxing, Engine oil change, anti rust treatment!!! Someone here loves his car a lot
yes dearie I am love my car most ardently ,what about the thud you mentioned in your post , I am still to get it okayed ,the mechanics are at loss to make out as to what is causing the thud ,lets see , what comes about in the next visit
Old 4th July 2010, 21:22   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
yes dearie I am love my car most ardently ,what about the thud you mentioned in your post , I am still to get it okayed ,the mechanics are at loss to make out as to what is causing the thud ,lets see , what comes about in the next visit
the thud on rear left side is just the car telling you to go slower over bumps. its there in all Puntos. No need to lose your sleep over it
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 21:26   #233
Team-BHP Support

^^Are you talking about the THUD so the Punto makes when you jump a speedbreaker? If Yes, the rear wheels of the Punto get airborne whenever the car jumps speedbreakers or passes them at speed, when the car lands on the road it makes a loud THUD sound. This thing does not occur when the rear seats are occupied, the reasons behind this may be insufficient travel and stiff setup of the rear suspension.

I have checked this in various Puntos, all the cars behave the same, meaning this is not a manufacturing defect and the dealer cannot do anything about it.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th July 2010 at 21:28.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 22:08   #234
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^Are you talking about the THUD so the Punto makes when you jump a speedbreaker? If Yes, the rear wheels of the Punto get airborne whenever the car jumps speedbreakers or passes them at speed, when the car lands on the road it makes a loud THUD sound. This thing does not occur when the rear seats are occupied, the reasons behind this may be insufficient travel and stiff setup of the rear suspension.

I have checked this in various Puntos, all the cars behave the same, meaning this is not a manufacturing defect and the dealer cannot do anything about it.
+1 to .anshuman. This also happens on my Punto whenever the rear seats are vacant. A normal phenomena with a bit stiff suspension setup car.
Old 5th July 2010, 08:46   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You got two?? One was fox trot azure. Other is which color??
And why two Puntos? Love them that much or won the other one in a lottery?
The other one is Silver - The fact that I did NOT win a lottery made me go for 2 puntos - Else the other should / could have been a VW Jetta / T Fortuner / Chevy Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
+1 to .anshuman. This also happens on my Punto whenever the rear seats are vacant. A normal phenomena with a bit stiff suspension setup car.
I guess its because of the rear sway bars doing their job of limiting the suspension travel.

But it only happens if we go fast over a bump!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 09:02   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
I guess its because of the rear sway bars doing their job of limiting the suspension travel.
+1
Sway bar aka Anti roll bar comes into effect at corners.
It just a passenger on the straights.
nitrous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 10:49   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
the thud on rear left side is just the car telling you to go slower over bumps. its there in all Puntos. No need to lose your sleep over it
Yes i too have noticed that when the rear seats are occupied the thud disappears altogether.
I would go slow over the potholes and speed breakers
Old 5th July 2010, 15:35   #238
Senior - BHPian

But the rear left thud does leave me jarred. I don't like it.
I hear the thud when I take it with some speed over a breaker ( I do not now a days, I rather crawl over it in first gear) or when I am going fast and suddenly a pothole comes and I go over it with some speed.

When people say that the Punto Glides over the roads and makes a meal of Potholes do they mean that it does all that with a thud?
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 16:52   #239
Team-BHP Support

^^ The rear THUD could be more prominent because of difference in tire pressure.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 17:10   #240
BHPian

Quote:
But the rear left thud does leave me jarred. I don't like it.
I hear the thud when I take it with some speed over a breaker ( I do not now a days, I rather crawl over it in first gear) or when I am going fast and suddenly a pothole comes and I go over it with some speed.

When people say that the Punto Glides over the roads and makes a meal of Potholes do they mean that it does all that with a thud?
by potholes means the small ones and when you are going at a reasonable speed. not when the pothole is not that small and you are doing more than normal speed. In my experience i hear this sound when i rushes over the bumps and speed breakers...
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote