Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 14:53   #286
BHPian
 
better4worse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 302
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
I normally do tank up once the indicator lights up, but wanted to understand the implications if fuel is allowed to drop too low with the Multijets. I read in one of the posts "when extreamly low on Fuel, to avoid AIR in Fuel line, it cuts off the supply"
Does this apply to Multijets too? I've not checked the manual regarding this, but would be interested to know.
Lemme get back to you on this one after checking the manual.
I too remember reading somewhere that it would be wise to not drive the punto absolutely dry, to the point that it stalls for lack of fuel and that it would harm the engine in many ways. But at no point do I remember reading anything about driving around with low fuel hurting the engine.
better4worse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 15:13   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 469 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Had a chance to look at this Punto Diesel Emotion ; was shocked to see corrosion under the bonnet - absolutely unacceptable for a car which is just a little over a year old.

was also shocked to see no seal at the door edges(where the top metal sheet is wrapped around the frame) - signs of corrosion there as well.

Here are some pics.
Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto-imag0370.jpg
Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto-imag0371.jpg
Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto-imag0372.jpg

Also,I observed this bent pipe running from/to the PS fluid resrvoir to the front ; looks like this arrangement is to cool the PS fluid .

Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto-imag0373.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 16th March 2011 at 15:15. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 18:24   #288
BHPian
 
WasavaTyres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 671
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Considering the state of ORVM and absence of front bumper, this seems to be a accident damage vehicle. Probably been lying around for a while. The rubber beading is very much present on all punto's
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 02:26   #289
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 469 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Considering the state of ORVM and absence of front bumper, this seems to be a accident damage vehicle. Probably been lying around for a while. The rubber beading is very much present on all punto's
The ORVM and the bumper were removed for a paint job - the car was otherwise in super shape.

The seal I am referring to is shown by a arrow in the attached pic
Attached Images
 
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 08:06   #290
BHPian
 
jtomhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 27
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Driver side lock is malfunctioning again. And this time for good. No auto recovery back to its original behavior like last time. Manually locking the car up now a days. I hate going to Dealerships. But seems I will have to go after all.
I had a similar problem with my rear left door. Credits to myself. When I got my HU fuse blown I took the "Boot actuator" fuse as a spare. Got this fuse info from the owner's manual. It has the details of each fuse. I thought this fuse was not needed since there is no auto locking for boot in the Emotion. The rear left was working only the manual way after this.
Later when I got the fuse restored, the lock was working again.
I also got the workshop manual from inet. So when I had checked about the locking system, it says, "The signal goes to the body computer and the body computer sends the lock signal to individual doors". That's when it dawned on me that fuse was the problem.
I knew even before I bought the FIAT, that I must be ready for tiny DIYs, except for the engine/transmission-related issues or the body-computer (ECU) issues . So credits to FIAT. They have made me a better mechanic.
jtomhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 22:06   #291
BHPian
 
jtomhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 27
Thanked: 5 Times
Thumbs down Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomhk View Post
I had a similar problem with my rear left door. Credits to myself. When I got my HU fuse blown I took the "Boot actuator" fuse as a spare. Got this fuse info from the owner's manual. It has the details of each fuse. I thought this fuse was not needed since there is no auto locking for boot in the Emotion. The rear left was working only the manual way after this.
Later when I got the fuse restored, the lock was working again.
I also got the workshop manual from inet. So when I had checked about the locking system, it says, "The signal goes to the body computer and the body computer sends the lock signal to individual doors". That's when it dawned on me that fuse was the problem.
I knew even before I bought the FIAT, that I must be ready for tiny DIYs, except for the engine/transmission-related issues or the body-computer (ECU) issues . So credits to FIAT. They have made me a better mechanic.
I thought I got it fixed. Still the same situation. Lock not working still. Seems lot of possibilities. Wire cut, Solenoid not working etc. Going to Service Center tomorrow. Hope they get it right under warranty tomorrow itself. Have to install Dynamat this weekend. So if not tomorrow they gonna blame it on the installation.
jtomhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 20:33   #292
BHPian
 
DieselAddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 406
Thanked: 212 Times
Unhappy Please chip in with your thoughts.

Just now i happened to drive a Punto Emotion Diesel with just 850kms on the ODO. The car is just 2 months old. We wanted to see how it behaves on high speed braking.

So in a open road, we did a quick 130 and braked a little hard. The ABS kicked in. I could feel it.

But the ABS lights did not go off. The Brake Warning light also came up. The MID showed "EBD Failed - Please read Handbook"

What could this be ? The owner of the car is shocked seeing this. help us.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 20:52   #293
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Please chip in with your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
The MID showed "EBD Failed - Please read Handbook"

What could this be ? The owner of the car is shocked seeing this. help us.

Did you read the handbook? Usually it is comprehensive to address the issue!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:15   #294
BHPian
 
DieselAddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 406
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Both of us are still at the office. Have asked the owner to do it as a priority item once he reaches home.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 10:31   #295
BHPian
 
DieselAddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 406
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Please chip in with your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Did you read the handbook? Usually it is comprehensive to address the issue!
Read the manual. It says something like "Go to the nearest SC". Planning to take the car to TASC this weekend.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 07:51   #296
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

It may seem little off topic , but still i have to take recourse to taking suggestion through this thread.I own march 2010 punto mjd active.The issue with the car relates to right hand OVRMs ,the glass of which has been broken and the tata guys have told me that the whole assembly of the OVRM has to be replace costing Rs2500.I have done it once and am bit wary to do it once more ,Dont they provide the glass for the OVRM as rest of assembly is perfect .Friends do let me know
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 08:05   #297
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HP 21
Posts: 566
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
It may seem little off topic , but still i have to take recourse to taking suggestion through this thread.I own march 2010 punto mjd active.The issue with the car relates to right hand OVRMs ,the glass of which has been broken and the tata guys have told me that the whole assembly of the OVRM has to be replace costing Rs2500.I have done it once and am bit wary to do it once more ,Dont they provide the glass for the OVRM as rest of assembly is perfect .Friends do let me know
Buddy ,

dealer is taking you for a ride. if only mirror is broken, it can be replaced individually and it costs some 375 rs in delhi . I too broke my Right RVM along with back cladding . both were replaced instead of whole assembly .
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 12:12   #298
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,539
Thanked: 7,992 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Guys, i finally took care of the fading plastics near wipers. i had tried all brands of interior care products but the plastics returned back to original state within a day, this time i applied Cherry Blossom Neutral liquid leather shoe polish and the results are amazing, it has been almost a week now and the part looks better than it was brand new with no cheap shine or residuals.


Before
Name:  PC255976edt.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  119.0 KB

After
Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto-img_4531-large.jpg
Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto-img_4532-large.jpg

Even if it stays like this for a month ill be extremely happy, this was making my princess look like a ugly duckling.

The warranty on my car will be over this month, i am feeling relieved no more visits to Tata service centers.

Please do not try this for interiors, they will turn sticky, this solution works only for exterior plastics. For Interiors i use Formula One/ Turtle Wax Interiors Polish.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th June 2011 at 12:48.
.anshuman is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 15:01   #299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 86
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

PUNTO MJD 1.3 - 15000 kms done, service too. I have three problems:
1. The third gear - I cannot switch from 5th gear to 3rd, esp on highways. (say you are doing 100+kmph, and need to slow down due to traffic, and then again need to switch to third to gain speed again, the gear just doesn't budge to third. It takes a while before I can switch to third, and by that time, I'd rather use the 2nd gear!) Informed KHT motors and they've taken car twice already and worked on it for 2days each time. First time they had the car with them for 2days jsut to find the problem, They claim that they have checked the clutch assembly etc, and deducted that the gear cable is the problem. And it took more than a month to get it. Second time they replaced it, but still the same problem. Does anybody else have this problem? Any insights on what it could be?
2. The head light stalk - Whenever, I use the left or right indicator, the head light goes off and on. If its on high beam, it goes off and on, and then switches to low beam. Very irritating. Again, complained to KHT, and they say they've done standard tests and its all good.
3. Horn at 120+ - The horn just goes kaput above 120+ speeds and its very random behaviour. Complained too - they say they've checked everything. Yet to take it for a 120+ ride to check.

Anybody else face these problems? Any insights on what the problem could be?
ahwajid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 22:03   #300
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwajid View Post
PUNTO MJD 1.3 - 15000 kms done, service too. I have three problems:
1. The third gear - I cannot switch from 5th gear to 3rd, esp on highways. (say you are doing 100+kmph, and need to slow down due to traffic, and then again need to switch to third to gain speed again, the gear just doesn't budge to third. It takes a while before I can switch to third, and by that time, I'd rather use the 2nd gear!) Informed KHT motors and they've taken car twice already and worked on it for 2days each time. First time they had the car with them for 2days jsut to find the problem, They claim that they have checked the clutch assembly etc, and deducted that the gear cable is the problem. And it took more than a month to get it. Second time they replaced it, but still the same problem. Does anybody else have this problem? Any insights on what it could be?
2. The head light stalk - Whenever, I use the left or right indicator, the head light goes off and on. If its on high beam, it goes off and on, and then switches to low beam. Very irritating. Again, complained to KHT, and they say they've done standard tests and its all good.
3. Horn at 120+ - The horn just goes kaput above 120+ speeds and its very random behaviour. Complained too - they say they've checked everything. Yet to take it for a 120+ ride to check.

Anybody else face these problems? Any insights on what the problem could be?
Not sure about 1 and 3. 2 might be a combination switch problem. should be replaced in warranty if faulty.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Punto MJD - 30400 KM Completed - Some issues ~~VinZ~~ Long-Term Ownership Reviews 9 21st April 2011 18:37
Swift VDI+ABS or Fiat Punto MJD or New Fabia 1.2 Diesel. Edit- Booked Fiat Punto MJD magnanimousdude Hatchbacks 59 27th October 2010 13:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks