Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th April 2012, 11:03   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I dint make a big issue out of it as these guys are in very good terms with me & gives me excellent service & I did not want to fight with them for 120 bucks.
You did the right thing but don't let this go. Write to Fiat and inform them about this. How can anyone charge you for making an entry on a job card? That is just ridiculous. They might be calling it a Job Card Entry but in reality it must be a labor charge.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 11:44   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
You did the right thing but don't let this go. Write to Fiat and inform them about this. How can anyone charge you for making an entry on a job card? That is just ridiculous. They might be calling it a Job Card Entry but in reality it must be a labor charge.
Even if it's labour charge, I should not be paying it since my car is in warranty. I have been there before, have had many replacements under warranty (4!!!), have never paid them anything.

As I mentioned before, since I have very good relations with them, I am not too keen to complain about this.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 21:09   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004

Even if it's labour charge, I should not be paying it since my car is in warranty. I have been there before, have had many replacements under warranty (4!!!), have never paid them anything.
I also got charged in fortune mumbai for job card entry - ridiculous. Also apparently the extended warranty doesnt cover all the labour. So for strut pad change i need to shell out 1000 rs worth of labour and the warranty only covers 400 rs labour.

I always extended warranty worked the same way warranty did. Anyone else have this experience with claims on your extended warranty?
milestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:32   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
I also got charged in fortune mumbai for job card entry - ridiculous. Also apparently the extended warranty doesnt cover all the labour. So for strut pad change i need to shell out 1000 rs worth of labour and the warranty only covers 400 rs labour.

I always extended warranty worked the same way warranty did. Anyone else have this experience with claims on your extended warranty?
Yes, here in Calcutta, KB Motors also charge for labour and in all likelihood Lexus and RD Motors too. I have to check though. Need more clarity on how extended warranty works.
Concorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 10:45   #335
BHPian

I had taken my OBlue 2012 Punto 1.2 dynamic to Oberoi Motors Noida on 2nd May. The car AC stopped working suddenly. It was resolved in a day. O ring issue. Also the brake was a little harsh. I had posted earlier, elsewhere in this forum regarding the same. The issue had got solved on its own after driving for a kilometer. Nevertheless, asked the service guy to check. No issues were found. The intermittent number plate light problem, is still there, though.
As usual, the service guys could not replicate the problem!!! The AC is OK now. Mr.Gopalan, service manager, was present when I put my car in for service, and asked in details, what the issues were and had promised a speedy repair. I was not charged any money though, even for job card entry.
I gave a good feedback. With AC on these days, I am getting a FE of 14-15kmpl Noida-Greater Noida-Noida 60km trips with horrible Sec 62 crossing. Without AC it is 16+..! Speed less than 70kmph max.
But, with AC on and 4 adults, the car does seem to lag a bit. But the brake jamming issue has never occurred with AC on (touchwood), even at low speeds and B2B evening traffic crawl at Sec 62 Noida! I have driven 1835kms on the Punto as I write.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 21:21   #336
BHPian

Another niggle to report: Today, while returning from work, with AC on (got it serviced last week), I fing a damp passenger footwell mat. It is like someone dropped a cup of water. Any clues? I am guessing it to be the AC condensate pipe loosening or "chewed up by a rodent". But how do I get access to the pipe or whatever in the 2012 Punto? Or do I need to go to the ASC again? A photo would be welcome.

Beyond the guesswork : Could it be something more serious than what I presume?

Regards.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 00:56   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Another niggle to report: Today, while returning from work, with AC on (got it serviced last week), I fing a damp passenger footwell mat. It is like someone dropped a cup of water. Any clues? I am guessing it to be the AC condensate pipe loosening or "chewed up by a rodent". But how do I get access to the pipe or whatever in the 2012 Punto? Or do I need to go to the ASC again? A photo would be welcome.

Beyond the guesswork : Could it be something more serious than what I presume?

Regards.
This problem is cropping up with regular frequency in 2012 models of Linea and punto. It's because of the faulty design of the AC drain pipe which is not able to cope up with the increased efficiency of the new AC compressor in 2012 models. Now when the humidity is high the increased water discharged is flowing back in to the passenger foot well. Go to your dealer and ask him to remove the AC drain pipe and check how the water flow is when kept under a tap. If the water flowing out is less ask him to make the hole bigger. There is a bend which obstructs the flow. A hot metal rod inserted into the drain pipe will help in free flow of water.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 01:31   #338
Senior - BHPian

I think I got cheated at Concorde!!!
I got the car serviced there on 17th March I think. I should have opened the hood and checked if they had topped up the fluids. My mistake that I forgot that.

Today when I just opened the bonnet and looked under I saw coolant at very low level.
I went to Concorde and asked about this. I showed them slip which says that coolant was topped up and I was charged for the same.

The SA gave explanation that the coolant level went down because:
When they drain the whole coolant and fill in the new one, there are air pockets in pipes which go away gradually. Hence the level goes down. This is normal and my SA dealing with the servicing should have told me about it. The thing to do is to add "Water" to bring the coolant level to the normal. And he did just the same. I asked him why he is not adding coolant. He replied that already 3 ltrs of coolant has been added and rest to be added will be water.

I am in a fix. Any ideas?
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 02:39   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I think I got cheated at Concorde!!!...I asked him why he is not adding coolant. He replied that already 3 ltrs of coolant has been added and rest to be added will be water.I am in a fix. Any ideas?
coolants can be 3:1, 2:1, 4:1 which mentioned in the bottle. Look which bottle they used. What he say is somewhat true, there is always a little lower level after newly replacing coolant and driving a littel bit. topping with water is normal. Remember if you are not in cold part of the country coolent% is not that significant as the engines are much corrosion resistant. If you feel the green color is not so strong and very transparent coolant % is very low.

Last edited by knob : 10th May 2012 at 02:41.
knob is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 10:57   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Go to your dealer and ask him to remove the AC drain pipe and check how the water flow is when kept under a tap. If the water flowing out is less ask him to make the hole bigger. There is a bend which obstructs the flow. A hot metal rod inserted into the drain pipe will help in free flow of water.

Thanks Damodar. Does this involve opening many panels and stuff? Can I by any chance, do it myself or get it done by a local mechanic, if it is something really minor? Going to the ASC means spending precious time and fuel! I have written to FIAT and the dealer asking why it was not checked during the AC service. I will demand an on site service if they ask me to visit them again for this silly issue.

BUT, niggles are not the same as fundamental DESIGN FLAWs.....
Old 10th May 2012, 12:26   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knob View Post
coolants can be 3:1, 2:1, 4:1 which mentioned in the bottle. Look which bottle they used. What he say is somewhat true, there is always a little lower level after newly replacing coolant and driving a littel bit. topping with water is normal. Remember if you are not in cold part of the country coolent% is not that significant as the engines are much corrosion resistant. If you feel the green color is not so strong and very transparent coolant % is very low.
Punto coolant is red in color.
There was not much color change even after addition of water.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 15:02   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Thanks Damodar. Does this involve opening many panels and stuff? Can I by any chance, do it myself or get it done by a local mechanic, if it is something really minor? Going to the ASC means spending precious time and fuel! I have written to FIAT and the dealer asking why it was not checked during the AC service. I will demand an on site service if they ask me to visit them again for this silly issue.

BUT, niggles are not the same as fundamental DESIGN FLAWs.....
Sorry for the late reply as I was traveling. Only one bolt and one panel at the foot level of the central console need to be opened. Although it's a minor issue better take it to ASC since the car is under warranty and you may need to replace the AC drain pipe altogether. Also don't delay this issue because even though the issue is minor you may have to suffer living with a bad smelling car for a long time.

Last edited by damodar : 13th May 2012 at 15:06.
damodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 20:33   #343
BHPian

OK Thanks Damodar. I have left it alone, but surprisingly the water is not dripping anymore. Maybe there is less humidity in the air these days. But would take it to the dealer sooner or later. Otherwise, I just love the car like it is part of the family.

The smell issue: I had parked the car in my office parking, choosing the sunniest spot, and kept all the 4 windows 2 inches down. And a replacement RO "carbon block filter"!!! Yes, thats right. I get it for my house RO for 110 bucks from Sadar Bazar. Just tried my luck with school chemistry lessons : carbon absorbing foul odour. I placed it beneath the glove box on a piece of newspaper. It completely absorbed whatever stench was building up and the floor mats dried up as well, in 2 consecutive days.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 12:46   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
BUT, Fortune Motors has started charging Rs. 120/- for job card entry! That's a little hard to digest. My car is in warranty and it has an issue. So, ideally I should not be paying anything for it. It is their responsibility to make the job card, why should I pay for it?

Interestingly, on the job card, they write "Consumables = Rs. 120/-"!!! When I asked what consumables are being used for my car, they admitted that it is actually job card entry fees. This clearly indicates that it is malpractice, else why would they write 'consumables'? I dint make a big issue out of it as these guys are in very good terms with me & gives me excellent service & I did not want to fight with them for 120 bucks.
I've written to Mangesh about this today. Lets see how he responds.

Extract from my email -

Hi Mangesh,
I own a FIAT Punto which I bought in 2009. I am writing to you to bring to your attention the serious lack of customer service during the course of a repair job with Fortune AshokNagar Mumbai.

I had noise from the suspension and per a scheduled appointment had opened a job card with FORTUNE. Job card number XXXXX. Car number MH02 XX XXXX The issue was a widely known issue with most Puntos - Strut mounting needing changes in the front. My car was still covered under extended warranty.

Now coming to the problems

1. I am being charged for labour - I was under the impression that labour is covered under extended warranty.
2. I was made to pay the full amount and then claim refund - but even though its been over a month I was not notified of the refund cheque being ready. Today when I visited the service centre I was rudely asked why I had come without prior intimation- which was to say the least very disappointing. I have made no less than 10 calls to the SA since the job for status of the cheque and did not get any favourable response.
3. After making me wait for over an hour they did find my cheque but had spelt my name wrong. I had clearly sent them an SMS after the job indicating whose favor the cheque needs to be drawn. yet they made a mistake. And then after pointing this out I am curtly told name change on the cheque will take 10 more days. All this without a hint of apology - as if its my mistake.
4. To top it all the CRM in that centre , when it came to take my address down, rudely announces that she does not have time to take down the details and asks the SA (who is already making other job cards) to take details. I do not understand why you need a CRM if client relations is not her responsibility.

Could you please help expedite the renaming on the cheque? I am so very tired of following-up.
milestogo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:23   #345
BHPian

Default Screw falling off : driver side footwell

Today morning after I got into the car, I noticed a self tap Hex head (Allen type) screw with the washer lying on the mat on the driver side footwell. It is about half an inch long, black powder coated. There is no chance at all, that the screw might have come form outside. It has fallen off from somewhere within the car. Any remote ideas??
It is now giving me the creeps, folks.