Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd September 2012, 19:26   #391
BHPian

Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Something that I wanted to share. This phenomenon has been there since day 1, and I don't even know if it is a niggle! I sort of rediscovered this today and I thought why not post it?

Here it goes:

I take out car from garage, it is a happy car. I load it fully, my family and stuff, and we drive off. After a while, after the engine has warmed up, I turn on AC. As usual there is a loss of power, and a reduced MID km/L reading, but fine: this is normal.

After a while, my mom starts feeling chilly, and I turn the AC and blower off. Surprisingly the initial power/response to throttle is not restored immediately and this precisely, is my query!

It still feels a little "sluggish" though not as much as with the AC on.

This happens every time I use the AC. But if I keep the car parked for a while, say, an hour, it is back to its original self, i.e a happy car.

Does this make sense or is it just psychological?

Best regards,

Ranajay

**BTW, latest average mileages, after first service:

City (NCR) 70% AC on : 11-14kmpl 2-3 persons, heavy-moderate traffic.
Expressway : No ac : 17+ Kmpl, with AC 15.5kmpl 3-4 persons.
Sedate driving always, with say 5% spirited driving to satisfy the engine's ego!

First service cost at Oberoi Noida Sec 63, INR11, for FeviKwik. I opted for a Wurth rub and polish, worth INR1000 plus taxes, which was a disaster on the paint finish, but that is another story waiting its turn. In "escalation" mode now.

Couriered a letter to Mr.Gopalan GM Service, Oberoi, awaiting reply.<eop>**

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 2nd September 2012 at 19:40. Reason: added FE figures and service synopsis
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 18:19   #392
BHPian

Just an update, pending for some time: Oberoi cars seems to be really "proactive" after I had formally raised a complaint regarding poor quality rub/polish job. Mr.Gopalan, GM Service, had personally replied to my query and subsequently I had received many calls from Oberoi workshop to get a free complimentary "teflon coating" done as compensation. I was out of city then, but I asked them to defer it, till I find time to get it done. At least, the gesture on the part of TATA/FIAT is worth . Hope they keep it up. No further issues so far.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 18:42   #393
BHPian

Hi as far as fuel average please try as many bunks as possible to find out which brand of diesel suits best. For my 2012 punto I finally settled with IOC diesel regular. In fact after 2 tanks of IOC as soon as I filled HP I could find a change in the engine response.
damodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 22:19   #394
BHPian

After about 45000kms and 3 years, here is brief list of quality issues on my Punto Emotion Plus:

1. At about 25000kms, I started getting sounds from front wheel suspension side, and this couldn't be properly detected for long time (by Acumen motors, Pune). Ultimately it was problem with link rod and was replaced (at around 42000kms). Yes, it took that many kilometers for the sound to become prominent. (I am also bit lazy, so only went few times in between).

2. Acumen motors also said there is problem with suspension and I would have to replace it. I will be replacing it soon. (I went to Pandit Automobiles and got it verified). However, as per them, no warranty claim is admissible, and I am quite unhappy about it. I filled form in Fiat India site, and absolutely no response.

3. My front right door handle has broken. I was surprised to find that it is a plastic part and chrome plated (with white color). I can't imagine how even the quality of door handle can be this bad. And we say Punto is Luxury car! (I quickly checked this forum and there were two other incidents of this nature!)

4. My averages (in city driving) have gone down from about 14.5kmpl to about 12.5kmls-13.0kmpl. But on highways I do get 20kmpl if I drive at 70-80kmph. The suspension problem might be one culprit. It is hard to verify if the oil replaced (they have a drum) is of good quality (Recently did 45k service).

5. The wiper at the back has got broken on its own. Again, bad plastic quality.

6. Dashboard and similar parts' surface is getting peeled off.

7. AC blower makes more noise (last 10k kms) and they have not been able to correct it so far.

8. There is a warning that says "airbags failure". The service guy said it happens when battery levels go low. Not sure if he is right. The battery itself has now come for 3+ years.

So while on engine reliability, I am quite ok and happy, all these peripheral issues have made me an unhappy customer.

On the top of it, Fiat's site doesn't respect our privacy. And I wrote it to their media communications lady (whose email was available in their press briefings). And absolutely no response.

Pathetic. Fiat, please wake up!
privin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 23:15   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by privin View Post
After about 45000kms and 3 years, here is brief list of quality issues on my Punto Emotion Plus:

1. At about 25000kms, I started getting sounds from front wheel suspension side, and this couldn't be properly detected for long time (by Acumen motors, Pune). Ultimately it was problem with link rod and was replaced (at around 42000kms). Yes, it took that many kilometers for the sound to become prominent. (I am also bit lazy, so only went few times in between).

8. There is a warning that says "airbags failure". The service guy said it happens when battery levels go low. Not sure if he is right. The battery itself has now come for 3+ years.
I also have the same issues as mentioned in item 1 and 8 in your post and Acumen is the service center I visit since it is just behind my office.

Was the issue# 1 resolved if yes then I will bring this to their notice and I will get this done. If possible please share the cost of the repair.

Regarding issue# 2 I also get the Airbag Failure message and I believe they are correct about the battery. My car has not been moved in the last 2 months and finally the battery died. The car won't even start now. I am out and will be back in a month and will get the battery checked and if needed get a new one. I hope with the new battery this should be resolved.

The only major issue I have faced during the 3 years of ownership was the CSC breakdown in the middle of the road. I utilized the Roadside assistance and got the tow truck in 30 mins and was dropped at Acumen motors where the CSC was replaced under extended warranty. I had to pay only the labor charge and the towing was also free.

Last edited by daredeviljpr : 8th November 2012 at 23:17.
daredeviljpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 23:38   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredeviljpr View Post
I also have the same issues as mentioned in item 1 and 8 in your post and Acumen is the service center I visit since it is just behind my office.

Was the issue# 1 resolved if yes then I will bring this to their notice and I will get this done. If possible please share the cost of the repair.
The pair of link rods costed me about Rs. 3700 if I remember it right.
privin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 14:27   #397
BHPian

Guys,

The AC of my 90HP has gone kaput. I took it to TASS on Saturday & they told me that there must be a leak, as the gas is empty. I was short on time, so couldn't leave my car there. Will take it on Monday to TASS. I will update once I'm done with it.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 15:14   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Acumen motors also said there is problem with suspension and I would have to replace it. I will be replacing it soon. (I went to Pandit Automobiles and got it verified). However, as per them, no warranty claim is admissible, and I am quite unhappy about it. I filled form in Fiat India site, and absolutely no response.
No offense meant privin, but at 45,000km, I don't see why they should be replacing it under warranty (unless specifically mentioned in the warranty policy) when you have used up almost the entire life span of the suspension. This is way too much to expect from any car of any brand. Also note that the suspension's longevity depends on what kind of roads you frequently drive the car on, and how gentle you are over bad roads, potholes and the like. Just my 2 cents.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 15:28   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
No offense meant privin, but at 45,000km, I don't see why they should be replacing it under warranty (unless specifically mentioned in the warranty policy) when you have used up almost the entire life span of the suspension. This is way too much to expect from any car of any brand. Also note that the suspension's longevity depends on what kind of roads you frequently drive the car on, and how gentle you are over bad roads, potholes and the like. Just my 2 cents.
To add to it, which other manufacturer is honoring warranty on suspension at 45000 kms. Just asking for the sake of updating my knowledge on it.

I believe, FIAT does honor warranty claims on the suspension parts up to 35000 kms. Again Suspension related replacement of parts for wear and tear is dependent on various factors, such as the load it is subjected to, road conditions, etc. However, one would expect more life out of the parts more so out of the suspension.

However, if the car is driven with due care, the suspension parts replacement at 45000 does seem a bit abnormal. A detailed check up and the loads its subjected to needs to be reviewed.
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 16:37   #400
BHPian

Quote:

So while on engine reliability, I am quite ok and happy, all these peripheral issues have made me an unhappy customer.

On the top of it, Fiat's site doesn't respect our privacy. And I wrote it to their media communications lady (whose email was available in their press briefings). And absolutely no response.

Pathetic. Fiat, please wake up!
I don't think the Head of Corporate Communications (Marius Dílima, if that is the lady you are referring to) of any company will ever reply to customer grievances. You should put your complain to the proper person or department to get a speedy redressal.

Try putting your mails to this person - Mangesh.Kodalkar "at" fiapl "dot" com in the future. I have got a reply every time from him except on one occassion when he was out on leave. I had the mail address of the earlier CEO also, but he is seperated now.

Hope you'll get proper response from Fiat.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 19:47   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I don't think the Head of Corporate Communications (Marius Dílima, if that is the lady you are referring to) of any company will ever reply to customer grievances. You should put your complain to the proper person or department to get a speedy redressal.

Try putting your mails to this person - Mangesh.Kodalkar "at" fiapl "dot" com in the future. I have got a reply every time from him except on one occassion when he was out on leave. I had the mail address of the earlier CEO also, but he is seperated now.

Hope you'll get proper response from Fiat.
Thanks! I will write to him directly. (As I said in my post, my problems started at 25k, when it was very much within warranty).

The reason I wrote to Corp Communications head was to highlight that the Fiat website has a major security issue. If I just know your car number, I can get all the details - Name, email, address... I mainly wrote about this (and of course, also adding that I am waiting for response on complaint), but there was no response.

In fact, I request anyone who knows some senior person in Fiat to highlight this issue.
Old 24th November 2012, 19:55   #402
BHPian

My suspension related problems started when odo was at 25k. It was just that the source of noise was not identified easily. Added to that, I also took it lightly and over the time, the sounds increased. (There was record of visit and this problem at 25k and entry in the system.)

The issue that I am highlighting is that I gave my application via Pandit Automobiles, and there is no response. I also directly filled in the form in their website, and then also there is no response. What should one do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
To add to it, which other manufacturer is honoring warranty on suspension at 45000 kms. Just asking for the sake of updating my knowledge on it.
Even I would like to know. For normal driving, the design of suspension, like the design of engine, should cater to at least 1 lakh kilometers. But like tyres, there might be different factors which may come in play, and I agree that it could be designed for lesser kilometers. Whatever it is, suspensions shouldn't be a replaceable part like say, oil filter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I believe, FIAT does honor warranty claims on the suspension parts up to 35000 kms. Again Suspension related replacement of parts for wear and tear is dependent on various factors, such as the load it is subjected to, road conditions, etc. However, one would expect more life out of the parts more so out of the suspension.

However, if the car is driven with due care, the suspension parts replacement at 45000 does seem a bit abnormal. A detailed check up and the loads its subjected to needs to be reviewed.
Precisely...
Old 26th November 2012, 09:29   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I will write to him directly. (As I said in my post, my problems started at 25k, when it was very much within warranty).

The reason I wrote to Corp Communications head was to highlight that the Fiat website has a major security issue. If I just know your car number, I can get all the details - Name, email, address... I mainly wrote about this (and of course, also adding that I am waiting for response on complaint), but there was no response.

In fact, I request anyone who knows some senior person in Fiat to highlight this issue.
Thanks Privin for pointing this out, I've also checked the same.
Why don't you include this point also when you write to Mangesh Kodalkar. I'll also write a mail to him pointing this fact.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 11:30   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Thanks Privin for pointing this out, I've also checked the same.
Why don't you include this point also when you write to Mangesh Kodalkar. I'll also write a mail to him pointing this fact.
Wrote to him. One thing, I was purposely vague in mentioning this security issue, so it is not generally known to anybody. If Fiat is not resolving this, this remains in open, and anybody can write an algorithm to fetch all the data.

I am going to edit my posts and remove the actual problem, please do the same for your posts as well.
privin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 15:39   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Yes, the strut pads(?) got changed. Done under warranty. I will post the exact name of the part changed. It was done for both the front wheels.

I was lazy to take the car for 2nd servicing after 2 year period was over. Late by a week. That meant that I was supposed to pay for these (around 5K) as warranty was declared to be over.

However I had that Rs 1 extended warranty which they were giving 2 years ago. That covered it.

I recommend every prospective car buyer to go for extended warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Yeah the extended warranty covers the suspension parts but it is conditional and is valid till 35k kms are completed. Read the extended warranty booklet.
Finally the time has come for my Punto to get the strut pads replaced. The car is under Extended warranty, and done 32K kms. Though the problem was reported to KHT motors in BLR last year, I just lived with it until now and decided to go for it now.

Now, Concorde motors - Madivala service engineer says that it is not covered under extended warranty and quotes about 7K. I have written a complaint on the website, and a phone call to the Customer Care 1800 number. Is there any contact I can use to expedite this? (Forget I asked this, answer found a few posts above) The car is currently with the service station, and I don't want a run-around for a second time. Should I pay for it, and later claim a refund? Please provide your valuable inputs. Thank you!

Last edited by ahwajid : 27th November 2012 at 15:48. Reason: Answer found
ahwajid is offline   Reply With Quote