Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 18:47   #496
BHPian
 
BulZire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 346
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Guys, Need a advise.

My punto 1.4 Fire is 4 years old and 28k on ODO. Car is running without any trouble so far. But since last week I started hearing a mild squeaking noise from dashboard which is quiet irritating. I tried a lot to figure it out from where the noise is coming and failed. Finally took it to hosur road Vecto and they did lot of checks and identified that the noise is coming from where the dash board meets the front wind shield. The technician did lot of juggads to arrest the noise but nothing helped. Finally after so many inspections he told that the noise is coming from a metal beam inside dash board and he is not able to fix that. He gave a shocking suggestion of opening the dashboard and check, for which I was not ready and left the FASS as mine is the E Pack version which has 100's of electronics running behind.

What do you guys suggest?

- Should I go with what the technician says ?. He is very confident that he can fix the noise and put back everything to factory finish.
- Does anyone here have any past experience of opening and putting back the dashboard without any issues?
- Or would you suggest me to live with it by ignoring the noise for safer side.
- Any other trusted FASS/technicians would you suggest ?, I am ready to go any part of Bangalore to get it fixed if there is an option to fix without opening the dash board.

Last edited by BulZire : 28th September 2015 at 18:50.
BulZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 19:15   #497
BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 773
Thanked: 1,760 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Should I go with what the technician says ?. He is very confident that he can fix the noise and put back everything to factory finish.
Well this time no matter the experience of others, you would need to have a combination of luck & taking certain decisions of your own to ensure your car's issue is resolved. Fiat owners can assist you on which workshops would be best to tackle the job at.

If the technician you spoke to is experienced enough and is a skilled trouble-shooter he would have no problems in unscrewing the dashboard and putting it back together, however if the mechanics attending to it aren't careful you can expect a few scratches and maybe even plastic chipping where they insert screwdrivers or other prying tools to unhinge from the mount. A lot also depends on how the dashboard is handled after dismounting. As far as electronics go, you can only hope that they, being part of Fiat service for years, will know what they are doing and can safely put everything back and perhaps would run a diagnostic after the work is done so that the same is verified. A 2nd opinion will never hurt so do try that as well at another authorised station, a squeaking noise is the last thing you need when driving.

Last edited by dark.knight : 28th September 2015 at 19:16.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 21:22   #498
BHPian
 
90Horses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Guys, Need a advise.

My punto 1.4 Fire is 4 years old and 28k on ODO. Car is running without any trouble so far. But since last week I started hearing a mild squeaking noise from dashboard which is quiet irritating. I tried a lot to figure it out from where the noise is coming and failed. Finally took it to hosur road Vecto and they did lot of checks and identified that the noise is coming from where the dash board meets the front wind shield. The technician did lot of juggads to arrest the noise but nothing helped. Finally after so many inspections he told that the noise is coming from a metal beam inside dash board and he is not able to fix that. He gave a shocking suggestion of opening the dashboard and check, for which I was not ready and left the FASS as mine is the E Pack version which has 100's of electronics running behind.

What do you guys suggest?

- Should I go with what the technician says ?. He is very confident that he can fix the noise and put back everything to factory finish.
- Does anyone here have any past experience of opening and putting back the dashboard without any issues?
- Or would you suggest me to live with it by ignoring the noise for safer side.
- Any other trusted FASS/technicians would you suggest ?, I am ready to go any part of Bangalore to get it fixed if there is an option to fix without opening the dash board.
My dashboard was dismantled by Vecto Fiat to investigate the ac issue, mine is a 90hp Punto (they did this due their lack of knowledge, i have already posted about that in the forum). They didn't do a good job assembling the dashboard back, i had to fix few nuts here n there. I suggest you go to Aadya Fiat and show it to Mr. Niraj or Mr. Khan, I don't think you need to open up dashboard, they are the best debuggers. By the way who was your service executive @Vecto?
90Horses is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 10:17   #499
BHPian
 
BulZire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 346
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
A 2nd opinion will never hurt so do try that as well at another authorised station, a squeaking noise is the last thing you need when driving.
True, i am definitely going to get 2nd opinion from Aadya and KHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
My dashboard was dismantled by Vecto Fiat to investigate the ac issue, mine is a 90hp Punto (they did this due their lack of knowledge, i have already posted about that in the forum). They didn't do a good job assembling the dashboard back, i had to fix few nuts here n there. I suggest you go to Aadya Fiat and show it to Mr. Niraj or Mr. Khan, I don't think you need to open up dashboard, they are the best debuggers. By the way who was your service executive @Vecto?
Thanks much for the reference, I will defintely get in touch with them. The SE in Vecto is Prem.

My linea at 85k and safari which i sold at 65k did not have any squeak or rattle. But this noise in Punto is growing in me badly , somehow wanted to fix it.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 18:11   #500
BHPian
 
90Horses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Guys, I am facing the unique RPM jump issue upon cold start (When car is cranked RPM will be at 1K and then it reduces to 0.8K & again it jumps to 1K and gets back to 0.8K, this issue happens mostly if the car has not been started for 24 hours). It does not occur on consequent start or when the engine is hot. Could it be due to MAF sensor? I am unsure. Can you guys have a look at the video and provide me any pointers, I am due to a long drive in 2 days.

Last edited by 90Horses : 4th October 2015 at 18:15. Reason: Added more details
90Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 23:44   #501
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Hi All

I've a June-2012 Linea.
Of late, the seat belt auto-retraction has become loose- for driver seat. ( I drive this solo 90% of the time. Other seat belts are fine)

I mean- when I release the set belt from lock, it doesn't pull itself in briskly.

Earlier- The moment I would release the seat belt, the seat belt would seem to be pulled inside by some spring mechanism.

Currently- When I release the seat belt, it just stays as-is.. and when I coax the seat belt to roll itself back in.. then slowly.. like pusher-cart it goes inside.

I checked for the safety functionality - i.e. jerking the seat belt, and it would hold itself firm.
So, roll back is the concern.

Is this normal? I didnt see many complaints like this.
Also- how should I go about repairing this?
daretodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 02:05   #502
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 31
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Hi All

I've a June-2012 Linea.
Of late, the seat belt auto-retraction has become loose- for driver seat. ( I drive this solo 90% of the time. Other seat belts are fine)

I mean- when I release the set belt from lock, it doesn't pull itself in briskly.

Earlier- The moment I would release the seat belt, the seat belt would seem to be pulled inside by some spring mechanism.

Currently- When I release the seat belt, it just stays as-is.. and when I coax the seat belt to roll itself back in.. then slowly.. like pusher-cart it goes inside.

I checked for the safety functionality - i.e. jerking the seat belt, and it would hold itself firm.
So, roll back is the concern.

Is this normal? I didnt see many complaints like this.
Also- how should I go about repairing this?
I had a similar issue on my Hyundai i10. The driver side belt was at a point where it would not retract even after trying to push it in.

It was functioning OK from a locking perspective, i.e. when given a sudden jerk. But since that very seatbelt had literally saved my life in 2012, I decided not to compromise with safety and got it changed for Rs. 1700/-. This was 6 years and 50,000 km into the car's life.
ankurbhageria is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 02:42   #503
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,418
Thanked: 9,320 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Niggles faced + Service charges incurred during my ownership (not out yet) of 120k kms -

Niggles faced:

1. Loose link rod @ 1500 kms.
2. a/c issue @ 50,000 kms.
3. a/c wiring issue @ 66,000 kms due to RATS.
4. Blue & Me issue @ 1,04,000 kms
5. Boot lamp not coming on due to boot lock sensor issue @ 118k kms.

Service costs -

Name:  SC.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  379.8 KB
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 23:09   #504
BHPian
 
90Horses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Hey guys, i need your advice. Recently i have changed my tyres to yoko earth1 with stock profile 195/60/15. After tyre change i feel some sort of shake while i drive in 2nd or 3rd staring from 12krpm to 18k rpm. This shake can be felt inside the car. Initially I thought it was balancing or alignment issue, have done a/b thrice and checked for alloy bend but everything reg tyres was fine.

After repeated tests I figured out, the wobble/shake happens only if the engine rpm is b/w 12-18k rpm and gear is in 2nd or 3rd.

I'm losing peace of mind and I am unable to enjoy my new set of tyres, I request you guys to help me with this issue.

Sai
90Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 00:01   #505
BHPian
 
arishi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Thane - Mumbai
Posts: 291
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Not an expert here, but I am wondering if the wobble/shake is related to engine mount?
arishi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 00:39   #506
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,385
Thanked: 9,862 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
After tyre change i feel some sort of shake while i drive in 2nd or 3rd staring from 12krpm to 18k rpm. This shake can be felt inside the car.
How many kms has your car done?

Is it 1200 to 1800 RPM that you mean?

Hopefully the tyres are installed correctly, I mean there is an indication of how the tyre may be installed. There is a marking like 'OUTSIDE'.

Can you check.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th June 2016 at 00:42.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 11:21   #507
BHPian
 
90Horses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
After repeated tests I figured out, the wobble/shake happens only if the engine rpm is b/w 12-18k rpm and gear is in 2nd or 3rd.
New observation: The shake is noticeable always when, you are at taking-off acceleration (12K-18K RPM) in 2nd and 3rd gears on up-slopes. In the down slope it's hard to notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
Not an expert here, but I am wondering if the wobble/shake is related to engine mount?
Even I am coming down to this, Could there be an issue with Clutch? Flywheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How many kms has your car done?

Is it 1200 to 1800 RPM that you mean?

Hopefully the tyres are installed correctly, I mean there is an indication of how the tyre may be installed. There is a marking like 'OUTSIDE'.
Yes it's RPM & for Yoko's as far as I know there's no inside & outside.
90Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 11:54   #508
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,418
Thanked: 9,320 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
New observation: The shake is noticeable always when, you are at taking-off acceleration (12K-18K RPM) in 2nd and 3rd gears on up-slopes. In the down slope it's hard to notice.



Even I am coming down to this, Could there be an issue with Clutch? Flywheel?


Yes it's RPM & for Yoko's as far as I know there's no inside & outside.
Ignore tyres. Can't see any relation between tyres and rpm. Tyres and speed yes - could happen. But different speeds and similar rpm across gears - not possible.

Are you not facing any issue while taking off from first gear up a slope? If its the clutch, easiest to find out in first gear.

Secondly - Isn't 1200 rpm - 1800 rpm a bit too less when going up a slope in third gear? Even second?

PS - 12k rpm is 12,000 rpm. 1.2k rpm is what you are referring to!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 12:23   #509
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,235
Thanked: 3,413 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Hey guys, i need your advice. Recently i have changed my tyres to yoko earth1 with stock profile 195/60/15. After tyre change i feel some sort of shake while i drive in 2nd or 3rd staring from 12krpm to 18k rpm. This shake can be felt inside the car. Initially I thought it was balancing or alignment issue, have done a/b thrice and checked for alloy bend but everything reg tyres was fine.

After repeated tests I figured out, the wobble/shake happens only if the engine rpm is b/w 12-18k rpm and gear is in 2nd or 3rd.

I'm losing peace of mind and I am unable to enjoy my new set of tyres, I request you guys to help me with this issue.

Sai
Get the engine C mount checked and also the A and B mounts, my guess is its gone. Replace it and it should be fine.

Also on the rpm jumping issues, a week alternator can cause this. Get that checked too.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 12:29   #510
BHPian
 
90Horses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ignore tyres. Can't see any relation between tyres and rpm. Tyres and speed yes - could happen. But different speeds and similar rpm across gears - not possible.

Are you not facing any issue while taking off from first gear up a slope? If its the clutch, easiest to find out in first gear.

Secondly - Isn't 1200 rpm - 1800 rpm a bit too less when going up a slope in third gear? Even second?

PS - 12k rpm is 12,000 rpm. 1.2k rpm is what you are referring to!
You are right it was 1.2 K rpm. Car will be in turbo range post 1.5 K.

1. In the first gear there's no shake that I can identify.
2. In the 2nd gear, you just take off from 1.0K to 2.0K, in between you will notice an ascending shake and it vanishes once it reaches 2.0K. If you come back to 1.5K and push it to 2.0K, the shake doesn't come.
3. In the 3rd gear, do the same as above, you can notice a mild shake.

What I mean by about shake: With the left leg leaning over the gearbox & dashboard housing. Upon revving from 1.2 to 2.0K in 2nd gear, the car feels in a way like there's a bubble protruded from the bottom in the left tyre and it does a mild jump with the speed. The frequency increases with the rpm and bubble jump reduces.

My understanding is that, in up slope conditions (Whitefield Forum - Hope Farm road), when engine is pushed, something is not holding up the vibrations and just giving away. Am I making any sense here?

Also how bad will be the vibrations post 3K rpm at high speeds (100+)? These days, I find engine noise to be on the higher side (Deafening) and constant humm vibrations all over the pedals and steering wheel, ODO is at 35K kms.

Last edited by 90Horses : 8th June 2016 at 12:42. Reason: Added more information
90Horses is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Punto MJD - 30400 KM Completed - Some issues ~~VinZ~~ Long-Term Ownership Reviews 9 21st April 2011 18:37
Swift VDI+ABS or Fiat Punto MJD or New Fabia 1.2 Diesel. Edit- Booked Fiat Punto MJD magnanimousdude Hatchbacks 59 27th October 2010 13:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks