Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th July 2009, 19:10   #16
gpa
Senior - BHPian

scorpian,

Thanks for the informative post. Will keep this in mind when I go in for my 20,000 kms service which will come up soon.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 19:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

actually if you check the service manual which is there in the workshop there is a proper method of cleaning the throttle body. one should not disassemble each and every component on the throttle body especially the IAC valve sensors.
for alto you have to take out the IAC valve connect it to the circuit and then keep on turning the key on and off (not starting the car), while spraying the carb clean into it. in this process the iac valve keep on rotating in the chamber.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 19:45   #18
gpa
Senior - BHPian

amit,

Will this process yield the same results (in terms of a thorough cleaning) when compared to the throttle body being cleaned by being disassembled?
Old 18th July 2009, 20:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
amit,

Will this process yield the same results (in terms of a thorough cleaning) when compared to the throttle body being cleaned by being disassembled?
the above process is done after disassembling the major components of the throttle body.

i had to replace the IAC valve due to a sick mechanic totally disassembling the throttle body and cleaning it very perfectly.
i suggest you to do this at MASS only and according to the service manual by MUL.
Old 18th July 2009, 22:18   #20
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i suggest you to do this at MASS only and according to the service manual by MUL.
Thanks amit, Will keep these pointers in mind.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 18th July 2009, 22:23   #21
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Thanks amit, Will keep these pointers in mind.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 18th July 2009, 22:27   #22
BHPian

"(for alto you have to take out the IAC valve connect it to the circuit and then keep on turning the key on and off (not starting the car), while spraying the carb clean into it. in this process the iac valve keep on rotating in the chamber.)"

@amit
The process is similar in zen too...
After one has opened the four bottom screws and sprayed liberally the throttle body cleaner the switch has to be turned on/off couple of times and then sprayed again to get the whole thingy cleared of soot completely...

i prefer doing it myself as i can be sure that everything is clear and clean,many times M.A.S.S dont clean completely.Also be very particular about changing the IAC valve gasket and the throttle body gasket.A leak here could coz the idle to be high.
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 22:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^^ yes everytime when the throttle body is opened its better to change the seals. actually its easy to remove the zen IAC valve. but in an alto the position is cramped and you cannot put the screw driver in and apply torque. first you have to unbolt the entire chamber invert it and then dismantle the IAC valve. i am insisting on MASS as the throttle body is damn costly and you dont get the IAC valve or any sensor separately.
Old 18th July 2009, 23:01   #24
BHPian

Amit are you sure that you don't get the IAC valve separately?
Asking coz you can get Esteem's IAC valve separately and that too from MASS.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 23:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Amit are you sure that you don't get the IAC valve separately?
Asking coz you can get Esteem's IAC valve separately and that too from MASS.
searched hard for 2 months at MASS. even though the parts catalogue shows it as different part they said it cant be procured seperately. this was for alto. i just hate mul for this. what the hell is this policy. why shall i spend 12500 rs for a 2000 rs part that has failed
Old 18th July 2009, 23:20   #26
BHPian

Hi amit,

All sensors,TPS,MAp,etc etc are availble easily in bombay, i got my TPS sensor for 450bucks...The M.A.S.S told me i had to buy the whole throttle body and it costs 9884/-.

Since your based in pune its Just a hour drive for you to bombay.
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 00:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

^^^ thanks a lot. will keep that in mind. what i did was swapped the iac from another accident scraped alto FOC
Old 2nd April 2010, 23:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry for updating this thread a long time after opening it. I had 2 problems with the car that got diagnosed very well (by M.A.S.S, but a different engineer than the one who actually services my car always)
1. All the spark plugs were way past their life (wonder what they call a 32-point check every time my car goes for service. Spark plugs should be checked every service!)
2. A BIG blunder on my behalf. We have put in new carpets in the car. The driver's side one was fouling with the accelerator and allowed only 50% of it to be depressed.I removed this carpet and VOILA! She started driving really well (after the spark plug change)
Dad and Mom would have never diagnosed this issue, but I just thought experimenting a little by removing this thick carpet would help. It helped, and HOW!
3. Replaced the standard mineral oil in my car to Castrol GTX Magnatec and BOY does she sound and drive different. I drive her regularly now, and I have been reunited with her again ;-)
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote