Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th July 2009, 12:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Seems like a good advice.

Does anyone know about someone who does this ?
Arush is the man !!

Do let me know where-in any sort of support is required.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 13:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Shashank

the cheapest option would be to get it done from the Truck/Bus/Tractor body building/repair guys and its not a big deal to fabricate a sump-guard.

But dont mind to take minute details so that you can help the guys doing it.

And i feel 6.5k + taxes is an overkill.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 13:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Shashank

the cheapest option would be to get it done from the Truck/Bus/Tractor body building/repair guys and its not a big deal to fabricate a sump-guard.

But dont mind to take minute details so that you can help the guys doing it.

And i feel 6.5k + taxes is an overkill.
My friendly neighborhood bus body guy did it for my friend for 700 rupees including the thick aluminum plate! This was for the engine sump guard, add a similar figure for the fuel tank. 6.5K is a lot unless you get the guard made of some exotic metal !
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 13:55   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

jesus. I am getting a quote for 10,000 and was shooting for 5000 bucks.

I guess I need to visit delhi trucker markets. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thanks
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 15:29   #20
BHPian

Thats wht I told you Nayaran Bhai, these mod guys are asking for a fortune, and there is no point. Its a damn metal sheet.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 16:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

nayaran?? oye lucky, lucky oye!!!!!
Old 25th July 2009, 17:41   #22
BHPian

Oops. Am I confused in names or what ?
Old 25th July 2009, 21:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Correct me, the sump guard is the metal plate which needs to be welded below engine to avoid any sort of damages ??

I don't think it should be a 6.5 K job, 500-1K seems to be a decent amount for the same.
Old 25th July 2009, 22:31   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

not really welded. More like some metal bracket would be welded in a couple of places, and then the plate would be screwed on.

It needs to be well designed else engine oil changing would become a pain.

If you can find someone to do it in 1k, I will be there tomorrow morning
Old 26th July 2009, 10:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
not really welded. More like some metal bracket would be welded in a couple of places, and then the plate would be screwed on.

That is the reason I have not approached any truck body maker yet. I dunno if they have experience of doing such stuff or not. Even if I had knowledge about how it is done, then I would have supervised it and got it done.

But I guess I have an Idea, I can always check out someones car, who has got it done, and see way its screwed and the design and then take pictures of the same. That would make the job easier for any body maker.
Old 26th July 2009, 12:48   #26
BHPian

I guess I should open a new thread, "Fabricating a Skid Plate", Otherwise there is no information available whatsoever. Only concrete thread was Samurai's where he got it done for his GV. But that was a different ball game all together, it was or offloading, and done at MASS. It was like an experimental project.
Old 26th July 2009, 16:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

You don't have to really get it welded, there are lots of place under left for extra nuts and bolts. Get it on the lift and develop a strategy.

I checked it for SX4 and found options to fit the guards just by nut bolts, which can be removed after the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

If you can find someone to do it in 1k, I will be there tomorrow morning
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 09:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
You don't have to really get it welded, there are lots of place under left for extra nuts and bolts. Get it on the lift and develop a strategy.

I checked it for SX4 and found options to fit the guards just by nut bolts, which can be removed after the trip.
I guess this will be a better option, lift and make your strategy to create one. Once you are back from tour, you can safely unplug it.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:05   #29
BHPian

Just came back from Maya puri, had nothing much to offer in terms of body makers. I guess they are now located near Peera garhi. Also remembered the option of getting it done from guys who make Three wheeler bodies (Vikram, ace etc).

Now coming to pricing, stopped at a metal dealer in Hari Nagar, he had Checkered 3mm aluminium sheet. Asked him for rates of 4feet by 5 feet. He said that it will weight around 17kg and its Rs.170 per kg. So that works out to around Rs.2900, now I am assuming that if its a 4 mm sheet, then it would increase the weight by 25% and should cost in range of Rs.3600. However I have been told that one can get better rates on Pahar Ganj, so will try that as well.

I guess I will take it up as a DIY thing, first will get the car mounted and click underbody pics to share with you guys, after that figuring out what to cover and where to put screws would not be a major challenge.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Just came back from Maya puri, had nothing much to offer in terms of body makers. I guess they are now located near Peera garhi. Also remembered the option of getting it done from guys who make Three wheeler bodies (Vikram, ace etc).

Now coming to pricing, stopped at a metal dealer in Hari Nagar, he had Checkered 3mm aluminium sheet. Asked him for rates of 4feet by 5 feet. He said that it will weight around 17kg and its Rs.170 per kg. So that works out to around Rs.2900, now I am assuming that if its a 4 mm sheet, then it would increase the weight by 25% and should cost in range of Rs.3600. However I have been told that one can get better rates on Pahar Ganj, so will try that as well.

I guess I will take it up as a DIY thing, first will get the car mounted and click underbody pics to share with you guys, after that figuring out what to cover and where to put screws would not be a major challenge.
Are you sure you want to fit 4ft x 5ft sheet beneath the engine compartment, as per my understanding you do not need to cover completely it should be cover partially.

Covering the whole section will not increase road noise while roaming on concrete too much but also will affect overall dynamics.. I hope you understand that it is going to make car's nose heavier.