Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st July 2009, 14:00   #1
BHPian

Default Wagon R, Noises while turning: Struts??

All,

I've a Wagon R Lxi, 2000 model which has served me faithfully for all of 121K Kms. Nowadays I'm hearing crunching sounds when I turn my car. This noise comes when turning either ways.

Is this the indication of struts becoming weak/need replacement?

Do share your thoughts. I'm thinking of not taking the vehicle for service for some time (a couple of months). Is this safe?

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 14:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
All,

I've a Wagon R Lxi, 2000 model which has served me faithfully for all of 121K Kms. Nowadays I'm hearing crunching sounds when I turn my car. This noise comes when turning either ways.

Is this the indication of struts becoming weak/need replacement?

Do share your thoughts. I'm thinking of not taking the vehicle for service for some time (a couple of months). Is this safe?

Regards,
lsjey
Check the steering column for worn out bearings. Do this immediately, as a broken bearing at speed would mean a complete loss of steering control.

If the problem were in the struts, then the car would also get physically unstable on turnings.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 14:31   #3
BHPian

Thanks. Will do so immediately. i never thought that this could be symptom of something serious :-(

Regards,
lsjey

Last edited by lsjey : 21st July 2009 at 14:33.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:34   #4
BHPian

I have a feeling its your driveshafts, check if the boots are alrite, thats my 2 cents, all the best
shivred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 14:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

if the sound is coming only when you turn then its the drive shaft. i think 121k is enough for driveshafts.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 15:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

It is your drive shafts. I consider you lucky as my right drive shaft has been giving that sound for the past 4 years---with only 25K on the odo.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 15:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The drive shaft seems to be the culprit. If as you turn and accelerate the noise/clatter increases indicates that the drive shaft bell housing has worn out. While there is no immediate cause of concern it is best to replace them.

The period by which the wear takes place is dependent on how much acceleration you use usually and on the condition of the rubber boot covering the entire assembly. If the latter is torn then dust enters the assembly easily and causes severe wear.

Some times it is not both but one of the axel that gives noise. You can replace one also but better to replace as a set.

I have seen some people also repairing these but can not attest to their efficacy. I know of a re-builder in Italy who ran his business just re-building axels on industrial scale to OE specifications. Have not seen that in India.

Last edited by sudev : 21st July 2009 at 15:37.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 17:33   #8
BHPian

Thanks a bunch guys. Just got it replaced with MASS here. It was the drive shaft. The rubber boot covering had come off. I was also told by the service people that it is not safe to run with the sounds as the worn out part can cause accidents.

The cost was Rs. 3800 for the drive shaft. Also replaced a faulty indicator bulb. Total with taxes and all bill came to Rs 4140.

I do count myself lucky that I've not had this problem till 121K Kms.

Thanks a bunch Sudev, vnabhi, amit_mechengg, shivred, predatorwheelz for your inputs. Tbhp is always quick and fast to help!!!!

Regards,
lsjey