Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd July 2009, 23:45   #16

The turning circle will be same when moving forward and backward. But sharper turns are only possible with rear axle steering/ multiple axle steering which can be observed in CRANES/ TIPPER TRUCKS.
Rear axle steering only can make a vehicle turn a tighter corner hence we use the "reverse and park method".
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

@ Sujith / Shantanu - that is what i had in mind : fire truck with rear steering wheels. i guess the same thing works when you are reversing in any car FWD & RWD.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Im not talking about reverse parking or reverse steering here.

Consider any normal car with front wheel steering:
If this vehicle is kept at full steering lock and moved forward (in a circular motion) the turning circle caused by the wheels should be indentical to the ones made by the same car going in reverse.

If the car in the above link moves backwards with the same steering angle, wont it create a circle of the same diameter as the one shown in the pic?

According to my uncle, the circle should be smaller in reverse, which i dont think is possible (unless it has some specially designed differential).

The turning radius of the OHC is 4.8mtrs, i dont think il get a lower figure if i try it in reverse.

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd July 2009 at 12:31.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote