Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st October 2010, 19:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support : We do NOT permit BUMPING of your own queries. Please note that such posts count only as SPAM.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2010 at 21:45.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 21st October 2010, 20:01   #92
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I drive Ritz Diesel- and don't have this issue.

The only time I have this issue is when I release the clutch a little too soon for the engine to maintain the same 800rpm so then it goes to say 750 and then surges back to 900rpm to avoid stalling.

As for the clutch use in b2b traffic. when the clutch is fully depressed the plates are safe, but the Clutch release bearing (CRB) is in use.

CRBs have a reasonably good life and you shouldn't bother about using it for short periods. In longer crawls alternating between 'clutch depressing' and 'shifting to neutral' is a good idea.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2010 at 21:45. Reason: Quoted post deleted
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 22:17   #93
BHPian

When you slip the clutch, the partial loading is just sufficient to transmit power to the gearbox without stalling the engine. As the car gains momentum, the speed of the gearbox input shaft begins to match up to the engine flywheel speed.

A full loading can cause the engine to slow down or stall because the inertia of the car needs some time to overcome. A good idea would be to slip the clutch and then depress the pedal fully when the speed is excessive, and repeat as long as the b2b lasts. This is just a variation of the normal rolling off technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
The first thing that a driving school guy told me was how to ride in b-to-b traffic.There is something called half clutch i.e gear in 1st, clutch released half and right foot on brake. Now control crawling in stop-go-stop-go traffic by just releasing brake to go and pressing brake to stop.

But what i figured out is this is gonna wear out the clutch fastest. Thou its fun and easy to control but not good for your clutch. So Instead I just fully depress the clutch and release depending on how much the trafic in front clears and If i am able to traverse some distance I release it completely and depress gas pedal to move and when I have to stop depress the brake/clutch(disengage clutch), this is in 1st gear mostly and sometimes in 2nd gear. Experts let me know If iam doing it right.
No problem: see these are not excessive and prolonged "slipping" situations.

Quote:
The next thing the driving school guy told me me was how to go over pot holes or bad patches in 2nd gear without a little bumpy ride or While moving in slow traffic. Same way in 2nd gear depress half clutch and control your motion using brake and gas. But this may also dammage the clutch, since the test vehcile was an indica diesel it made more sense to control the torque using a half clutch but still it would damage the clutch. Instead i now drive over potholes either in 2nd gear with clutch completely released and only giving gas when required and if i have to go over a bad patch slowly, I quickly down shift to 1st and slowly move with a lesser speed to reduce the bumpy ride, - Am i doing it right here, again experts please throw some light.
Again, no problem: you are basically describing the slow down before a bump scenario.

Quote:
I have read in some earlier posts here, when one is pressing the clutch and in first gear and waiting at a stop signal, they term it as clutch riding. Is it true, i thought when a clutch is compeltely depressed then that means the clutch is disengaged and it shouldn't cause a clutch wear. May be being in first gear would increase the rpms and would consume more fuel compared to being in neutral but it shouldn't be called as clutch riding. Experts please comment.
This is not clutch riding: clutch riding is transmitting power in high gear when the situation requires a downshift, by slipping the clutch to avoid stalls.

Quote:
I drive a petrol Punto, and since punto's clutch has a long play and is kind of hard I tend to keep my left foot somewhat resting on it thou without any pressure, not a good habit but will it wear out the clutch faster?
I know its a bad habit but mostly in city drives i tend to keep it like that. If I keep in on the dead pedal i find it difficult to move it back as i have to lift my foot a bit to bring it to the level of the clutch.
Bad habit. The dead rest is for cruising on highways. In bumper to bumper, you can keep your foot over the clutch without touching it, when not depressing the pedal, possible because the intervals of depressing and lifting off are short.

Bumper to bumper isn't going to kill your clutch. Keeping it balanced on a slope with clutch partially engaged and engine slightly revving, and other situations requiring this type juggling WILL!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2010 at 21:46. Reason: Removing one quoted post which has been deleted
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 11:17   #94
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is it possible to drive without riding the clutch in India?

I know I am bumping up a very old thread but I just bumped into this thread when searching in Google on how to use the clutch in traffic conditions.

Why would I want to know that?

Simple, my clutch in the Manza has become hard and I suspect the pressure plates might be giving up as there is a shudder when accelerating for 1 sec. Well normally if its a Tata car everyone would suspect mechanical failure but since my steed has been niggle free (touchwood ) I started questioning my driving technique.

Reading this thread and self evaluating I came to know that I was riding the clutch almost all the time. Yes, it shocked me on this realization and from the past two days I have been consciously trying to drive without riding the clutch and using it ONLY for gear changes.

So what am I doing?

1. In slow moving traffic and if I can sense that after moving a few yards it will come to a stop, I just slot in 1st gear and move along. Keeping my feet on the floor. (Yes, engineers of the Manza did not leave any space on the left of the clutch.) Earlier I used to ride the clutch by slotting into higher gear to ensure that I am moving at the same pace as the car in front.
2. Whenever stopping in traffic, I shift to neutral and rest my foot on the floor. Earlier I used to keep the gear in 1st and clutch depressed all the time.
3. When turning, over speed bumps, potholes, I am making sure I am in the correct gear and keeping my feet on the floor after changing gears. Earlier I used to be in higher gears and ride the clutch to prevent the engine from stalling.

What are the advantages I am already seeing?

1. It is becoming easier for me to pull away once the traffic flows.
2. My feet and knees are thanking me.
3. I am sure I am saving whatever little life is left from the current set.

What I need to learn further?

1. Smoother throttle input over 10kph as the diesel motor moves without acceleration initially. Now I am saying initially because later on though the car moves in higher gears without accelerator but it is a tad slower and you wouldn't want to hear the blaring horns from behind.

So thank you Team-bhp once again to UNLEARN and then LEARN the correct way to use the clutch.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 23:40   #95
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this old thread to get some inputs on clutch use in uphill b2b traffic. Downhill and flat sections are relatively better but uphill roads are a challenge. What do you guys do, when traffic is inching forward very slowly and stops every five seconds or so only to inch forward very slowly again?

I think what I'm doing is slipping the clutch all the way. Is there a better way?
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 04:43   #96
BHPian

^^ Use the Handbrake to aid your start.
Take your time, don't try to move to cover every inch. Move only when there's a reasonable gap to cover.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:37   #97
Senior - BHPian

Somebody correct me if I am wrong. While starting, we leave the clutch and towards the end, we apply throttle to accelerate. Now for a car with poor low end torque, it requires copious throttle input before releasing the clutch completely, to prevent a stall. Now, isn't it clutch riding even though for a brief period? If yes, is there a way out of it?
Secondly, while reversing or going forward short distances, we need to leave the clutch and use the minutest of throttle to cover the distance. But to prevent a stall, we need more throttle and to control the speed (with the higher throttle), we need partial declutching. This again should be a problem, isn't? Is there a way out?
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:33   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Somebody correct me if I am wrong. While starting, we leave the clutch and towards the end, we apply throttle to accelerate. Now for a car with poor low end torque, it requires copious throttle input before releasing the clutch completely, to prevent a stall. Now, isn't it clutch riding even though for a brief period? If yes, is there a way out of it?
Secondly, while reversing or going forward short distances, we need to leave the clutch and use the minutest of throttle to cover the distance. But to prevent a stall, we need more throttle and to control the speed (with the higher throttle), we need partial declutching. This again should be a problem, isn't? Is there a way out?
Clutch is meant to be slipped. So slipping the clutch is not a problem as such. The issue is that if you "ride the clutch" you are slipping the plates most of the time and thus you will cause the clutch to fail prematurely.

In your case, slipping the clutch in the 1st gear should not be a big problem, but if you are slipping the clutch in EVERY gear (due to the poor low end torque) - you need to correct your driving habit and understand the purpose of gears.

I am presuming that is not the case , hence stop worrying.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:02   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Clutch is meant to be slipped. So slipping the clutch is not a problem as such. The issue is that if you "ride the clutch" you are slipping the plates most of the time and thus you will cause the clutch to fail prematurely.

In your case, slipping the clutch in the 1st gear should not be a big problem, but if you are slipping the clutch in EVERY gear (due to the poor low end torque) - you need to correct your driving habit and understand the purpose of gears.

I am presuming that is not the case , hence stop worrying.
Thanks for the reply. From your reply, I infer that it is indeed a problem albeit a small one and has to be ignored. And yes, I am forced to use the clutch slipping in 1st and R gears and nowhere else. I have been to the hills, ghats and even our famous mall parkings and I have had to gun the engine to make it moving. I do get stuck in B2B traffic for 20-30 mins almost daily. Never have I experienced any burning smell which is what reassures me everyday. Yet, if I assess it theoretically, I find it wrong, which is why this above query of mine. Thanks again.

regards,
Ashis
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:04   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Thanks for the reply. From your reply, I infer that it is indeed a problem albeit a small one and has to be ignored. And yes, I am forced to use the clutch slipping in 1st and R gears and nowhere else. I have been to the hills, ghats and even our famous mall parkings and I have had to gun the engine to make it moving. I do get stuck in B2B traffic for 20-30 mins almost daily. Never have I experienced any burning smell which is what reassures me everyday. Yet, if I assess it theoretically, I find it wrong, which is why this above query of mine. Thanks again.

regards,
Ashis
think about it this way: what is the purpose of CLUTCH?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 09:43   #101
Senior - BHPian

Clutch riding can easily be avoided if one knows that one's time at a traffic light or traffic jam is likely to be a little longer than normal.
For example, if I know or if I estimate a wait of 10 seconds or more in a traffic situation, then I simply slip the gear into neutral and release the clutch, when Im at a standstill.
For moving ahead again, I engage the clutch, put the car in First gear and move forward.
The 3 seconds that it takes to do this, is my investment towards maintaining my clutch and transmission systems. I hate sitting around with my foot on the clutch while at a standstill.
Using the correct gear while ascending or descending an incline, also saves the clutch, along with the discipline of down shifting BEFORE beginning such ascent or descent. Same goes for Speed Breaker management.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th June 2016 at 09:45.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 10:24   #102

Thanks for all the information being provided. I am trying to stop using 'clutch riding' from last couple of months on infamous outer ring road stretch in Bangalore.
I have started to go to first gear, previously which i used to ride with second gear. This has reduced my clutch time but not fully.
How do we avoid clutch if i am in 1st gear and still traffic is start and stop at 1km/2km speed, when i need to use half clutch else my car would stop.
pradeepmr is offline   Reply With Quote