Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th July 2009, 00:07   #1
Default Swift VDi - Engine stalling. Is it my driving style?

Guys, i am recently facing a new kind of a problem... When the car is fully loaded, i have experienced
1. 3 days back, the car was not pulling at first gear - It was behaving as if i tried to move from stop with 3rd gear... The car vibrated slightly and then was not pulling. The car was still on. rechecked and made sure that the car is in first gear only. After stopping and checking the accelerator to see if anything is wrong, the car started fine. There was no prob after that.

2. Today, the car turned off in 2nd gear at low speed - again fully loaded.

When the first incident happened, took it to CARS India, Kottivakkam. I know a service manager there and we both took a test drive and he confirmed that everything is normal. But, he also mentioned that Swift Diesel has a defect that sometimes the car gets turned off while driving. Strange to me...

Have anyone heard of a problem like this?

I usually drive alone in the car. I believe it could be due to me trying to release clutch as if i am driving alone, whereas the car is fully loaded in fact. Not sure though.... :-S

The car is only 5 months (7100km done) old. Has this happened to anyone?

Last edited by username : 30th July 2009 at 00:09. Reason: Added more details.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 00:19   #2

Probably, i think it is something to do with your driving, i think you are not properly depressing the clutch when fully loaded. You need little bit of more acceleration along with depressing the clutch when you are fully loaded.
Abbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 01:14   #3

The culprit is the way we release the clutch. Me too has a 5 months old 12K done Swift. The car stalled twice so far and I am damn sure it is not because of any engine problems. T
Silver Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 19:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ask them to check the accelerator pedal sensor.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 19:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

@username: Is this your first Diesel?
If No: Please get the engine tuning checked. There is problem with the timing and also check for air-filter.
If Yes: Please note that driving diesel is very different from petrol. The torque makes you feel that you are moving sufficiently and you might be switching to higher gear for smoother engine feel. Diesels are meant to be kept in the torque band more than the power band. Try to stay in the gear and check your urge to shifting gear early.

Do make changes to your driving and let us know if this helps.

All the best!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 20:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

It does seem like a clutch release issue. In addition to what Sn1p3r mentioned, it would also be good to check the fuel filter for clogging. Sometimes, this can lead to the kind of stalling that you are experiencing.

As such there is no such defect in the Swift as mentioned by your service manager. You can check with our moderator Jaggu for his inputs as he also drives a Swift (D)
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote