Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st July 2009, 19:47   #1

Default Zen Estilo - Wobbly gear shift- Any solutions?

I have a Zen Estilo Vxi purchased a few months back. It has done about 2400 KMS. I am finding that the gear shift has become very loose or wobbly (as it is supposed to be!). The car is mostly driven by my wife and she has started complaining that her hand is scraping the front seats while engaging 1-2, 5-R gears and she also ends up shifting into the wrong gear.It is as though the lever"is not grounded" and seems to be floating in air. I know from the information gained from this forum and after driving a few WagonRs that it is a common problem with these two cars. Are there any technical solutions to this which a mechanic can implement?
foosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

How is your wife's driving style ? Is she a novice ?

I had encountered some cars which were driven by some incompetent drivers in which the gears are like the way you mentioned.

Seems to be like that gear bush may need replacement.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:09   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Foosa, firstly the WagonR & Estilo have pathetic gear shift quality to begin with. Second, as a new car logs in the miles, most components will loosen up / settle in (clutch pedal, brakes, gearshift etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Seems to be like that gear bush may need replacement.
I think its too early for the bushings to wear out, unless it was defective to begin with. I suggest you have your after-sales look at the gear linkages & bushes, just to make sure nothings wrong.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:01   #4
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the WagonR & Estilo have pathetic gear shift quality to begin with.
GTO,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the new Estilo have the same gearbox from the old Zen?

Will be glad to hear your inputs.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

I didn't quite understand the problem, but a normal gearshift should not scrape front seats on engaging 1st and 5th. Atleast a couple of Estilos i have driven, and my own 5+ yr old WR does not have this problem.
However if there is a co-passenger then you might scrape his/her knees, given the low spacing and long throw of first gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
GTO,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the new Estilo have the same gearbox from the old Zen?

Will be glad to hear your inputs.

Cheers,
gpa
The Estilo is nothing but a WagonR in different clothing.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:17   #6
BHPian

I do not think it is a common problem, my friend has an Estilo which has run around 8K kms to date and one of my cousins has a Wagon R which has clocked nearly 40K kms, have driven both of them and they do not have this problem. However, my SS80 developed this play over the years and it did go away once I got the gear lever bushes changed.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 17:14   #7

Quote:
How is your wife's driving style ? Is she a novice ?
Quite skilled I'd say. Been driving manual transmission cars for about twelve years or so.
Quote:
Foosa, firstly the WagonR &Estilo have pathetic gear shift quality to begin with. Second, as a newcar logs in the miles, most components will loosen up / settle in(clutch pedal, brakes, gearshift etc.).
So I've gathered after reading extensively through this forum. I did not find anyone posting any solutions - not even a local mechanic or DIY job. Just wanted to know for sure that there aren't any viable solutions to this.

Quote:
I didn't quite understand the problem, but a normal gearshift shouldnot scrape front seats on engaging 1st and 5th. Atleast a couple ofEstilos i have driven, and my own 5+ yr old WR does not have thisproblem.
However if there is a co-passenger then you might scrape his/her knees, given the low spacing and long throw of first gear.
With a co-passenger, the car in its current state, provides opportunities for some intimate moments. A new meaning for the term Family Car!

Quote:
I do not think it is a common problem, my friend has an Estilo whichhas run around 8K kms to date and one of my cousins has a Wagon R whichhas clocked nearly 40K kms, have driven both of them and they do nothave this problem. However, my SS80 developed this play over the yearsand it did go away once I got the gear lever bushes changed.
I see.

As it stands today, the service center has said that there is nothing they can do to fix it and the current state of the gear lever is normal.
foosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:49   #8

I know this is a seriously late reply to this post but it might help someone in the future.
Faced the same issue with my Swift and it IS a gear bush issue. The service guys weren't too keen to replace it. I had to push a bit. Further, what might happen if its not repaired soon enough is that the gear gets stuck between 3rd and 4th, you won't be able to shift laterally. So i suggest you fix it asap.

Of what I understand, this might be an issue cause people tend to rest their hands on the gear shift while driving and that kinda stresses the bush. This obv doesnt happen in..well..lets say a Qualis where the gear sticks a freaking 20 kg rod...

Hope I helped.
BoppanaVarun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 21:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default 800 gear shift feels wobbly and limp

(mods bumping this thread instead of starting new on same topic)

hello,

My 97 800's gear shift feels limp and wobbly.I leave the car parked with a gear lock all the time which causes the gear shift to be clutched tightly towards the right side.Could be this the source of the problem.I had replaced gear bushes in jan last year.

thanks
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 21:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Zen Estilo - Wobbly gear shift- Any solutions?

I suppose the shift is fine and you are complaining about the shifter.

While changing the shifter bushes you should also change the linkage bushes. I have seen many mechanics ignoring this. Its a Rs.30 plastic thingy.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 10:04   #11
BHPian

I recently experienced this with my BIL's first generation Estilo (he was amongst the first recepients of the car). The car is abused a lot but the gear shifts were so pathetic that I felt that if I move it further the whole assembly would break out. It was as if the whole panel was moving when I was moving the rod. Is it dangerous to drive a car like this?
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 14:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I recently experienced this with my BIL's first generation Estilo (he was amongst the first recepients of the car). The car is abused a lot but the gear shifts were so pathetic that I felt that if I move it further the whole assembly would break out. It was as if the whole panel was moving when I was moving the rod. Is it dangerous to drive a car like this?
50% dangerous since you may experience inability when down-shifting in emergency.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 15:34   #13
Team-BHP Support

Seating position also matters, if you push the seat too much to the front there is a high probability that the elbow will touch while shifting gears.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote